Some musical stuff...

SAO wrote:

Again, just from my experience, there is a lot to be said about impeccability here. When you say "more like slaves than artists" - is it because it's a LOT of effort for very little return? Why? Is it the right effort? Are they utilizing their energies efficiently and objectively? Or are they creating unnecessary roadblocks, whether through hubris or self-limitation or internal considering? Maybe they are simply doing something over and over that really doesn't work very well but they are not flexible or open so they just keep doing it? Is anticipation getting in the way? Or maybe they really are horrible musicians but everyone keeps telling them how great they are so they are under an illusion, and so keep attempting to do what they really should not even be doing in the first place? Maybe they have a romantic idea about their music, and so forget to treat and approach it like a business? It is very popular nowadays to describe someone as "an unemployed artist", it has an almost romantic quality to it. I honestly think that a lot of this could simply be a result of people's programming and internal consideration and illusions and wasting of energy as a result - and not simply because music or art is a horrible way to make money. Sometimes it may really be difficult and out of the artist's control, but I wonder how many of those reasons the artist CAN do something about, but often doesn't for whatever reason?
When I said 'make it big', I was talking world class musicians. Most of them are more like slaves than artists because they are forced into imbalanced lifestyles so that they render a greater profit to their masters - managers, record companies, corporate sponsors.

You made a lot of valid points about being a successful working musician. It's definitely easier if you are versatile and play popular songs. It's also probably easier for a good solo pianist than a bass player to find steady work. Then there is the question of where you are. First of all, it helps to be in the city, and some cities are much more geared towards the performing arts than others.

Anyway, if you have been able to find steady gigs without too much difficulty, that's certainly a good indication that it's safe to leave your cubicle. I'd still want a supplementary source of income to fall back on during slow periods though. Someone else already mentioned taking on private students, which could be a good option.

In any case, you've taken a giant leap forward by sharing your music here, and I'm sure you are already being propelled towards the next step forward. Wishing you success and happiness in your aspirations. :)

Very much enjoyed!

Somehow missed this thread, I apologize for the lateness. Also not being a piano player, I could hardly critique your playing SAO, but agree that there's likely no need for any stage-fright type self-doubt, though there really didn't appear to be any anyway. Looked professional and FUN to me!

I found your comments on material to play interesting. Maybe a topic for another thread. In dealing with external consideration v.s creativity in a working(gigging) environment, I have lately been having many doubts. I'm constantly being told "play songs that everyone knows" and that in itself guarantees work(gigs-done well of course). And although it is FUN and I do learn a lot, I'm itching to relay thoughts/words/rhythms that aren't found easily in "songs everybody knows". Basically, I would like to do MOSTLY original material. As SAO mentioned, and many folks here preach, "it's hard to make a living doing originals". Well......

Obviously MANY have been/are doing their own thing and are quite successful, though not necessarily wealthy monetarily speaking. And without being pawns of the Big Man(recording companies) to boot. I'm slowly understanding that playing original music has more to do with, indeed counts on, a positive exchange of energy than it does familiarity. To play an Eagles song, for example, right away people start getting excited because THEY KNOW IT. So it's MUCH more work to create the same excitement with an original, but the reward possibly far greater. Hypothetically anyway. I'm doing a little testing myself. I would like to hear more original, inspiring music and though maybe a minority, I'm far from alone. Likely location plays a huge part.

Thanks SAO, hopefully your offer to "bounce recording around" stands.

Back
Top Bottom