Storm cuts power to thousands

M

Marie

Refering to the article on SotT

As happened on Sunday I was in New Brunswick in the morning and then we drove home - the friends I stayed with had only a few hours of power loss but in my village and the ones around it was the biggest part of the day. Now to people around here this is mostly inconvenient - it's not very dangerous as a lot (probably a majority) of people have a wood furnace, and those that don't have one always have neighbours, friends and/or family members close by who do.

One thing I noticed on the drive back was how "dead" everything seemed - there were very few cars in the streets, and in most of the villages we crossed there were neither lights nor people to be seen. Even the power lines somehow looked/felt different without juice running in them. It struck me that this would probably turn into a permanent state of things in a rather close future. I was a bit scared - maybe "apprehensive" would be a better word - you know, that feeling that says the world you know is slowly falling apart, but for some reason nobody else sees it.

In any case, in my family we find that it's possible to apply Murphy's law to these situations - namely, it's always after you're done with the long and frustrating task of cooking supper on a wood furnace made for residential heating that the power comes back on. :D

Now I am a bit worried about people in the cities - the article mentions the north of Montreal being hard hit, and it happens so that Montreal-Nord is a very poor and ethnic neighborhood, and usually one of the last to be helped by the government. Well, can't really do anything but hope they're all ok - and when living there I saw there is more of a community mentality than in other parts of the city, so hopefully they don't have it so bad.

Any news from Montrealers?

Back
Top Bottom