Sun and Moon

So why is the angular size of the moon (viewed from earth) almost exactly the same as the sun? Seems like far too unlikely to be just a coincidence. Does it have something to do with life on earth being 'food for the moon'?

Also, it seems almost everything is in a state of 'crashing' or 'breaking' this year. good luck to all if things start getting really hairy.

Cheers.

Hi lamalamalamalama,

Here is one article that explains the apparent size of the sun and moon as viewed from earth. :)

Thanks for the reply Vulcan.
I've read this article before, and I didn't find it at all satisfying as an explanation. Maybe it's just me, but it seems more like just a description of the effects on earth from a large moon. Plus I've read that the theory of a mars sized object hitting the earth to create the earth-moon system has some not so small problems with it.

Cheers

lamalamalamalama said:
Thanks for the reply Vulcan.
I've read this article before, and I didn't find it at all satisfying as an explanation. Maybe it's just me, but it seems more like just a description of the effects on earth from a large moon. Plus I've read that the theory of a mars sized object hitting the earth to create the earth-moon system has some not so small problems with it.

Cheers

fwiw- here is what the C's had to say about how Earth's moon came to be.

941022 said:
Q: (L) When and how did planet earth acquire its moon?
A: Was caused by the regular passage of a large comet cluster which caused a gravitational disruption allowing a large chunk of the original earth's surface,
which was somewhat less solid at that point in space/time, to break away from the main body and assume a locked in orbit around the main body.

Of similar interest to me are two more related:

1) If ocean tides are caused by the moon's pull, then why do we have tides on the opposite side of the Earth of essentially the same magnitude?
2) Is the moon's orbit synchronous with women's menstrual cycle, and if so, why?

cheers

lamalamalamalama said:
So why is the angular size of the moon (viewed from earth) almost exactly the same as the sun? Seems like far too unlikely to be just a coincidence.

My wife and I had been wondering something similar. I'm assuming you think it's far more interesting that there is even a difference in the size at the horizon vs the size directly overhead, rather than that the 'angular' size is almost exactly the same as the sun?
If so, then in terms of the state of existing knowledge of human psychology, my guess is that Ibn al-Haytham had the most reasonable sounding explanation. He redefined the problem in terms of perceived, rather than real, enlargement, implying an illusion that is hard-wired in the brain. If this was an evolutionary adaptation, then perhaps it had a survival value? Maybe it allowed humans to more easily identify potential enemies at a distance not long after sundown?

ref:
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_illusion

Yes, I too have been questioning the 'influences' of the moon on our planet, the tides, emotions, the feminine and other natural cycles; the seasons. But also, the other side of things.

The side that we don't see - What is that all about?
Bases on the Moon? - who?
Mythology and symbolism about the moon.
Psychic 'food for the moon' (our emotions - fear of the unknown, gosties and ghoulies, witches and werewolves, vampires, the dead, ritual magic practice, lunacy and madness, etc., etc., etc., How do all these aspects fit together and can we understand that which until now has been unknown.

Have these darker aspects to how the moon is viewed been 'put' in the minds of men, to keep a distance and fear in place about 'darkness', the unknown, and a mistrust of the feminine? Or are they indeed a symptom of a deeper vampiric element that feeds from the psyche of man. Or both?

The moon only reflecting the light of the sun, and how that relates to the feminine (not a light in her own right), and how this may represent a symbolic message about subjugation and mistrust of the feminine etc. ... too many questions!
Also, is aligning our inner feminine with the moon, say in meditation, (if we are food for it), a good idea? What is the deal? The truth? I have doubts about the feminine alignment with the moon, and I guess if there is a doubt, it is because there is something to doubt. At the very least, some clarity of understanding is needed.

Does this chunk of Earth represent in some way the wounding of the Earth (the feminine principle), from the Fall? (cometary influence?).
The fact that it is called a 'satellite' which suggests something artificially placed in orbit, to monitor things?

Hello lamalamalamalama, I have wondered on your inquiry too.
lamalamalamalama said:
So why is the angular size of the moon (viewed from earth) almost exactly the same as the sun? Seems like far too unlikely to be just a coincidence.
Deedlet said:

fwiw- here is what the C's had to say about how Earth's moon came to be.

941022 said:
Q: (L) When and how did planet earth acquire its moon?
A: Was caused by the regular passage of a large comet cluster which caused a gravitational disruption allowing a large chunk of the original earth's surface,
which was somewhat less solid at that point in space/time, to break away from the main body and assume a locked in orbit around the main body.

So the moons placement is purely natural, there is much disinfo on this, thanx for the info from the C's, other than this passage, I have read or heard very little on this, there seems to be allot of attention being given to get us to think other wise. I would like to know why that would be. I do not have any material to reference on this topic, but is it not the general scientific belief that this is what happened, in-so-far as the moon is of earthly origin and not celestial origin? I get confused with all the claims of rare minerals on the moon, how could that be if the moon is from here?
cheers

Harold said:
So the moons placement is purely natural, there is much disinfo on this, thanx for the info from the C's, other than this passage, I have read or heard very little on this, there seems to be allot of attention being given to get us to think other wise. I would like to know why that would be. I do not have any material to reference on this topic, but is it not the general scientific belief that this is what happened, in-so-far as the moon is of earthly origin and not celestial origin? I get confused with all the claims of rare minerals on the moon, how could that be if the moon is from here?
cheers
Hi Harold, What are you referring to when you say 'claims of rare minerals'? Can you find any articles or references to this? Do you have evidence these claims are reliable?

The answer to your question also depends what you mean by rare minerals. For instance IF these are rare minerals that are found on Earth AND the moon is of Earth, then it would make sense that they would also be found there. If however, you mean rare as in not of Earth then that is something different. Need some more data really.

The mineral formation depends on factors like pressure, temperature, etc. when the moon separates from earth it adquires his own characteristics of that parameters, it can explain why there are other kind of minerals on the moon. Also remember that the moon has been hit by a lot of asteroids that contains strange metals and minerals.

lamalamalamalama said:

Maybe this question was not entirely focused about the origin of the moon, but also about the fact, that today the moon cover the full sun and cause an solar eclipse. The situation is quite unique because the moon moves steadily away from the earth and in the past, the moon appeared greater and when he covert the sun, there was no eclipse with the glow of the corona around the moon. And in the future, the moon will be too far away to cause such an beautiful event.

So, we live in a very singular (and short) period in the history of the earth, where the moon carry out such an spectacle and we have the luck to see it. And the question may be, why now? Is there a symbolic meaning behind it? Today, when humanity is one the edge to ascent or descent, the moon meets the sun in such a perfect way, that it seems like the sun and the moon represents what is going on here. Coincidence?

On the other hand, this is from our perspective a long term event, which lasted already the last 150 million years and may will last the same term yet. I don't know how to calculate this exactly. I think, the question seems natural: Is there a link between a solar eclipse an evolution in general?

Back
Top Bottom