Super size me

seek10

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
This is a very interesting , entertaining and creative movie released in 2004. I happen to see it only today. we read about all the evil fast foods, but this movie maker called morgan spurlock decided to do some experiment on his own perfect healthy body by taking mcdonald food for 30 days. with the help of weekly monitoring by a dietitian, 3 doctors ( who knows that he is doing high fat diet only) , his health was monitored . The results are compelling , which compelled Mcdonald to do serious damage control.

Facts are compelling
- gained 25 lbs in 1 month . 9lbs in first week, 17 lbs in 12 days - total 25 in a month
- he started vomiting 2nd day it self, but found adjusted after 3 days, like other stuff like cigarette
- eating twice the calories
- all the vitamins in the body are down 50%
- he got addiction in 3 weeks, i.e. if he doesn't eat he gets serious headache
- In 3 weeks he gets up in the mid night with palpitations and doctor chides him and asks him to stop the ridiculous fat diet he is taking. he compares his lever condition to that of alcoholic addict
-cholesterol shot up 65 points, heart risk increased 2 times, depressed and body fat 11% to 18% , got mood swings, sex life became non existent.

I saw this documentary and I thought that Morgan Spurlock did a good job with it. I think I remember that his doctor recommended that he should come off the McDonald's diet or else he might die. :O And that was less than one month on the diet! Kinda scary when most people eat this type of food all the time. It is interesting because we are watching this in our college health class the week after next.

I only eat fast food when I have to; when I am on a road trip or unable to cook at my house. And when I eat it I definitely notice a detrimental effect on myself such as feeling depressed after eating the food. I usually just get hamburgers and just eat the meat and throw away the buns.

a book, "The Fast Food Nation", is a good companion for the movie.

I watched movie 3 years ago and I like it . :) I remember that his girlfriend put him on Detox Diet after.

That's funny that this topic is coming up today, because I myself read it in "The Ultra mind solution" this very day and thought a few minutes ago: let's have look in the forum if this film has been already discussed.

FWIW here is a google link to the movie:

_http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1432315846377280008#

We watch Morgan Spurlock "super size me" alot at school
I just recently found out about his new video minimum
wage. And this involves him and his wife who went on
minimum wage for 30 days. I think alot of his videos
are educational. If you wish to watch his video on
minimum wage here is a website.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/5287/30-days-minimum-wage

Hildegarda said:
a book, "The Fast Food Nation", is a good companion for the movie.

I watched the movie version of that, and it's good as well. I highly recommend it. I understand that the book is a very well researched nonfictional work, and this movie is kind of like a fictionalized narrative version of the book. It's a rather sad film and very gruesome, some might say even horrific at the end, though the message it conveys is very truthfull. I highly recommend it.

imdb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460792/

I've seen this movie a few times. Amazing how corporations take zero responsibility for putting garbage and chemicals in their products.
Spurlock's wife must have been freaking out through the whole ordeal.
On a lighter note...well who am I kidding, this whole movie is about the evils of fast food. Is there a lighter note??? :)

celtic said:

Thanks for this celtic. I really like Morgan Spurlock and I watched the video about minimum wage. It turns out that he had his own tv show called 30 days where for 30 days someone would switch into someone else's lifestyle and see how it goes. He was personally in 3 episodes that I saw, one living on minimum wage and not being able to survive, one where he lived in jail for 30 days, and then one where he was a coal miner for 30 days. There are also ones where a straight man goes to live in San Fransico and live with mostly gay people for 30 days, and one about muslims in america, etc. I really like those shows where two opposites switch places and learn to get over stereotypes and understand each other. These videos are at the hulu link above.

I have seen this movie and my friends told us to watch it.
They were actually part of the movie, the founder and -at that time - the owner of Natural Ovens, Wisconsin.
A devoted biochemist and his wife who is a nutritionist, Paul and Barbara.
Two sweet people who rally care for people's health.
We worked for them almost two years, they founded another health-food company and made chocolate with fortified Vitamin D!
They changed the food menu in a high school in Appleton and interestingly children's behavior changed to the better!
The got better grades, better attendance.
And all of this because they quit to eat junk food!!! :shock:

celtic said:

Thank celtic for the link. I saw the minimum wage. It is a very sad reality and felt even depressed to know how painful it is. It is depressing to see how people live in poverty and debt after working for 16 hrs and end up paying thousands of dollars in medical bills and how the big banks sucks billions in late fees from these poor people, who can never come out of vicious circle of debt.

There is another episode raised my eye brows is 'new age' ( $50 billion industry in 2006 ). I was curious what does he show. It was interesting. Subject was a 30 yr. old sales man with temperament and stress problems, divorced and living with a girl friend and wants to do some thing with bad temperament and stress before it breaks the relationship. He has no clue of what the New age is all about.

Under a new age coach he goes through all sorts of things( the whole nine yards ) spring equinox rituals and some other egg rituals, primal dance, acupuncture, reiki , bhajans . In the process, his girl friend became jealous and suspicious and the coach meets his girl friend and teaches them tantric sex techniques and later he goes to a core energetic trainer to release emotions. At the end he and his girl friend even walks on fire ( symbolism of mind over body ). At the end of 30 days, they got convinced that it works and they are engaged .

Are they still married ?. I don't how far the new age honey moon lasted . I thought interesting.

Back
Top Bottom