Supercapitalism by Robert Reich

harpoonflyby

The Force is Strong With This One
I heard an interview with the author which sounds promising. It's about the problem of capitalism overpowering and diminishing democracy. Can anyone recommend it?

I haven't read it yet, but have also heard him talking about it on the radio. Reich is a pretty smart and perceptive guy. His analysis of what is happening seemed pretty good. My problem with what his thesis was, if I remember it right, is that he had the attitude that there was really nothing we could do about supercapitalism except try our best to limit the extremes of damage it causes. Showed a lack of creativity to me, but he is a former Cabinet Secretary under Clinton and an establishment pundit/economist, so it's not surprising that he doesn't advocate revolution or something ;)

Excellent, thanks. That's about what I expect as well. Should still be a good read, if his powers of diagnosis are on.

On a similar note, I picked up "Free Lunch" by David Cay Johnston and read through the first three chapters - nothing new here. He picks up on a few issues, but resorts to the usual bipartisan drivel in his conclusions.

Back
Top Bottom