Symbolic? SWFL Eagle Cam - Baby Eagle Hatchling

Moonbird

Jedi
Harriet, a female bald eagle who’s been nesting in North Fort Myers, Florida, since 2006, has become well-known over the years thanks to cameras that the nearby Dick Pritchett Real Estate agency set up and maintains.

Harriet laid two eggs in November, 2016. The first egg hatched December 31, 2016. One egg still remains unhatched.

You can view the eagles and the three-week old baby at the live web cam (Southwest Florida Eagle Cam) . Link below.

I've enjoyed watching this family of eagles over the last couple of days, especially the parents bringing in fish and feeding the baby, and wanted to share here.

As most Americans know, the bald eagle is both the national bird and national animal of the United States.

With all the craziness of this past year with the US election and the inauguration of President Trump a few days ago, maybe this baby eagle is symbolic of a new beginning for the US? Just a thought that occurred to me this morning.

Hopefully the link below will take you directly to the live view. I copied it directly from the WINK-TV news site. Enjoy!

WATCH LIVE: Harriet the eagle dotes on hatchling.
_http://www.winknews.com/2016/12/27/watch-live-harriet-the-eagle-will-welcome-eaglets/

At the time I posted this, it is night time here in Florida. There is some type of lighting (infrared?) for night time viewing of the nest.

But check back during daytime hours. Viewing is much better with more activity. :)

I remember seeing this circulating on FB some time ago, when the first egg was estimated to hatch, but I didn't think of it symbolically.... now I'm wondering what will happen to the other egg, if we are to look at it like this. Although it definitely seems like a new phase has begun, although, just like with the other egg, we are going to have to "wait and see".

I also hope the infrared and EM fields from the cameras aren't affecting the hatchlings too much...

Thanks for sharing this, Moonbird!

Guille said:
I also hope the infrared and EM fields from the cameras aren't affecting the hatchlings too much...

I feel the same way, Guille. It seems unnecessary to me to light the nest at all especially because there is little activity at night.

It's funny though. It's as if I have a new pet and it has helped soothe my distress at watching all the craziness going on in US. I check in on the web cam several times a day and feel as if there is hope watching the new hatchling and parents.

But you are right about "wait and see".

this is cool :D . i think i saw it on SOTT once, thanks for bringing it up again.
it looks like it deliberately keeps its unhatched sibling warm.

That is very cool! The hopeful parts of me enjoy the symbolism presented, but it is a cautious hope, as I feel the situation in America is likely to get worse before (and if) it gets any better. As was stated here and regarding the other egg, we will have to "wait and see".

TheLostBoy said:
That is very cool! The hopeful parts of me enjoy the symbolism presented, but it is a cautious hope, as I feel the situation in America is likely to get worse before (and if) it gets any better. As was stated here and regarding the other egg, we will have to "wait and see".

IMHO, it is too early to tell. Maybe it's my wishful thinking, that there is a possibility that all gnashing of teeth craziness will die down eventually. And I too observe with cautious hope.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Thanks for sharing Moonbird. I came across the live video several times while scrolling through facebook, and I'd watch it for a few minutes, but I never caught a glimpse of the little eaglet! I also hope the cameras and infrared lights aren't affecting the family.

As for the symbolism, I read here that "Breeding season [of eagles] varies regionally, beginning in November and December in southern areas." and "In Florida, egg laying may begin in November" So maybe the timing is not too coincidental? Still, who knows, it could be symbolic! Hopefully for some kind of a new beginning, but like you and the others I'm also staying cautious.

Back
Top Bottom