The Big Sick

Rich

The Living Force
As RomComs go I really enjoyed this one. Possibly because Hugh Grant wasn't in it! :)
And yes as a RomCom the film is a little predictable but I thought it was well made, good charachter development.
In general I do enjoy Standup comedy so enjoyed the brief clips of the leads attempt at stand up. I thought they portraid the difficult situation of Arranged marrage Well, and I enjoyed how the father carried on trying to "be a father" despite the challenges faced and bringing Nanjiani his avourite Mutton Curry before he leaves.
Nice, feel-good movie! :)
Michael Showalter
Writers: Emily Gordon and Kumail Nanjiani
Cast: Kumail Najiani, Zoe Kazan, Holly Hunter, Ray Romano, Anupam Kher, Zenobia Shroff, Bo Burnham, Aidy Bryant
Kumail Nanjiani and Emily Gordon’s real-life love story serves as inspiration for the most delightful romantic comedy in years in The Big Sick. Directed by Michael Showalter from a script by Nanjiani and Gordon, the film stars Nanjiani as himself and Zoe Kazan as Emily in the stranger-than-fiction story of two people falling in love despite clashing cultures, family expectations, and a mysterious life-threatening illness.
The story follows a standup comic (Nanjiani) who falls for a woman who heckles him (Kazan) at a show. He tries to hide the relationship from his parents, who expect a strictly traditional arranged marriage to a Muslim woman, but their romance faces an even greater hurdle when she falls into an inexplicable coma and he bonds with her parents (who you can’t help but fall in love with thanks to the performances from Ray Romano and Holly Hunter). Bursting with heart and earnest good nature, The Big Sick is a witty and charming exploration of love, commitment and family, and it’s a bonafide crowd-pleaser to boot. — Haleigh Foutch

Back
Top Bottom