The Colony

genero81

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Originally on USA Network, now on Netflix. Don't think I've seen a better depiction of military occupation. The characters can't hardly sneeze without the 'authorities' knowing about it and interrogating. Well written and nicely acted including the two young, actor and actress who play the younger siblings. Two seasons available on Netflix now with a third season to come.

More info
In a dystopian near-future Los Angeles, a couple, Katie (Callies) and Will (Holloway) Bowman live with two of their three children under a regime of military occupation by an organization known as the Colony Transitional Authority. They are part of a larger invading force of extraterrestrial origin who are referred to as the "Hosts", and as the "Raps", apparently a reference to raptors (the logo of the human collaborating forces features a stylized bird of prey). It is said of them that "no one ever sees them". The Hosts have built an enormous wall, around 20–30 stories tall, several meters thick, and many miles in length, which surrounds the central part of Los Angeles, where the series is set. Other similar walls have been constructed around other major cities (now called "Blocs"), while various buildings still display severe damage from the armed conflict during the invasion, known as the "Arrival". The geographical extent of the alien invasion is unclear, but it is presumably worldwide. The occupying forces shown to the viewers are all human, and enforce their occupation via black-and-red-uniformed militarized police with automatic firearms and armored personnel carriers, nicknamed the "Redhats".

A privileged class of elites, the "Proxies", are drawn by the Hosts from the local population, and are denigrated by some residents of the bloc as collaborators. These forces maintain control by separation of loved ones, shoot-on-sight curfews, forced disappearances, random checkpoints and frequent electronic identity checks, limitation of motor vehicle usage to official transport by permit only (most citizens must walk or ride bicycles), pervasive visual propaganda, slave labor in a place called the "Factory" for transgressors (and their families) who are not executed and electronic surveillance with Host-provided drone aircraft that launch from the wall. Some medical problems, such as diabetes, have been "deemed unworthy for treatment" by the Hosts, to cull the population with a crude form of eugenics.

Originally on USA Network, now on Netflix. Don't think I've seen a better depiction of military occupation. The characters can't hardly sneeze without the 'authorities' knowing about it and interrogating. Well written and nicely acted including the two young, actor and actress who play the younger siblings. Two seasons available on Netflix now with a third season to come.
I also like the way it plays very well into the whole 'some must be sacrificed if all are to be saved' theme, through humans like Snyder and the Redhats whom are seen as traitors and oppressors to mankind for maintaining such a brutal regime on behalf of the Hosts - but are in fact in a difficult and terrible position themselves having to enforce terrible actions for the perceived greater good of humanity's continued survival.

I also like the way it plays very well into the whole 'some must be sacrificed if all are to be saved' theme, through humans like Snyder and the Redhats whom are seen as traitors and oppressors to mankind for maintaining such a brutal regime on behalf of the Hosts - but are in fact in a difficult and terrible position themselves having to enforce terrible actions for the perceived greater good of humanity's continued survival.

Funny, this show and the fact I posted about it came to mind the other day for no apparent reason. Yes, it really does a great job of depicting several scenarios that occur when an oppressive force has taken control of a population.

Can't wait for the next season!

Funny, this show and the fact I posted about it came to mind the other day for no apparent reason. Yes, it really does a great job of depicting several scenarios that occur when an oppressive force has taken control of a population.

Can't wait for the next season!

You and me both! 3rd May 2018

I just finished the series and unfortunately found out that it was cancelled, so there won't be a season 4.

--spoiler alert--

It was interesting that the alien hosts were robots, with consciousness housed within a sphere that sits inside. That's why it became such a big deal when one was captured. Destroying that consciousness is like "killing" life to them.
They learn that there are other aliens that are seeking to destroy them and humanity. They didn't go deeper into the alien story and didn't get to hear why the other aliens are seeking to destroy the 'hosts'.

I just finished the series and unfortunately found out that it was cancelled, so there won't be a season 4.

The third season finally showed up on Netflix. Yeah, it seemed like it ended abruptly. Things didn't end well for the Bowman's which was a bummer seeing as how the whole show revolved around them. Too bad it didn't make the cut. I thought it was a well done series equal to 'The 100' which continues on into it's sixth season.

Back
Top Bottom