The Digital Universe software

Ellipse

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Since 1998, the American Museum of Natural History and the Hayden Planetarium have engaged in the three-dimensional mapping of the Universe. This cosmic cartography brings a new perspective to our place in the Universe and will redefine your sense of home.

The Digital Universe Atlas is distributed to you via packages that contain our data products, like the Milky Way Atlas and the Extragalactic Atlas, and requires free software allowing you to explore the atlas by "flying" through it on your computer.

http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/universe/download/

A good connection is need due to the packages weight.

In the "Digital Universe Uncut" package I see "WISE brown dwarf simulation"...

Hi Ellipse,

Thank you for your recommendation. I downloaded the suggested package (took about 5 minutes) and unpacked the content into a separate folder in the My Documents section. After that I went on the lookout for some exe-file to get things started, but couldn't find any at my first glance through.

Currently I started reading some manual (the Partiview Users Guide) but found out it's about 120 pages long and I will have to practice and test the thing first before I can ever use it for what it is intended to do. I take it you are more acquainted with this tool than I am.

So I was wondering if you could be so kind as to direct me onto some procedures which would amount to a shortcut through all that in order to speed things up a little or give me affirmation that I really have to go through all that stuff myself as to get a solid grip on the functioning details and propper procedures which supposedly would be beneficial in the long run.

I'm not all that computer savvy so I was a bit put off by it all. Also, I'm wondering how you are doing with the package and especially with the brown dwarf simulation if you already got that far? Just that feature peaked my interest in the whole thing the most. Thanks in advance for any reply.

Hi Ellipse

I'm sort of on the same page as Palinurus. I don't have the 'span' for long manuals, so I started partiview up and tried maneuevring and turning on/off the different bodies and can isolate the dwarfs but cannot get to orbit or isolate/ simulate a single one (still haven't found G9.1). Would also appreciate a pointer if you have experience with this.

Back
Top Bottom