The Final Countdown by Europe

Debra

Dagobah Resident
What can I say.
There is a Jukebox in a Dusty back room of my Brain, and when I read the C's Transcripts and the Forum, a Hit Parade of epic tunes can commence!

The Final Countdown by Europe
released Feb 14, 1986

We're leaving together
But still, it's farewell
And maybe we'll come back
To Earth, who can tell?
I guess there is no one to blame
We're leaving ground (Leaving ground)
Will things ever be the same again?

It's the final countdown
The final countdown
Oh

We're heading for Venus (Venus)
And still, we stand tall
'Cause maybe they've seen us
And welcome us all, yeah
With so many lightyears to go
And things to be found (To be found)
I'm sure that we'll all miss her so

It's the final countdown
The final countdown
The final countdown (Final countdown)
Oh

Absolutely love this song. It gets me pumped up for work. Also: I see some parallels between its lyrics and the end of After the Goldrush by Neil Young. ("Flying mother nature's silver seed to a new home in the sun")

There is a Jukebox in a Dusty back room of my Brain, and when I read the C's Transcripts and the Forum, a Hit Parade of epic tunes can commence!

Hi Debra,

Glad it's not only me :-)

The song choice also makes me wonder if we might share a DJ... a couple of days after my crystals arrived ,coincidentally, my 'jukebox' lit up with 'Europe' as well?

rock.jpg

And the chorus made it a pretty easy tune to identify -

"You want to rock now, rock the night
Till early in the morning light
Rock now, rock the night
Whoa oh, whoa oh, yea

Rock now, rock the night
You'd better believe it's right
Rock now, rock the night
Whoa oh, whoa oh, yea, yea

Oh, rock now, rock the night
Rock now, rock the night
Rock now, rock the night
Rock now, rock the night, rock it"

Which left me to assume it was just a pun on Rock / Crystal , Night / Knight :rolleyes:

Except that the song kept coming back until I learnt that continental Europe was apparently named for a lover of Zeus, Europa, as was Jupiter's Moon of the same name. Jupiter (as a god) obviously also the Roman equivalent of Zeus.

An odd bit of trivia which then surprisingly led to discovering that in Hesiod's 'Catalogue of Women' Europa's Mother was identified as a Queen (you guessed it) named Cassiopea...

At which point whoever's picking the songs happened to move onto Bon Jovi's 4th Album, another that I'd never owned, 'New Jersey'.

Favoring 3 songs in particular, which is a long story, though I thought this was clever -

The Latin name Caesarea was also applied to the colony of New Jersey as Nova Caesarea.

Particularly as 'Bon Jovi' could literally translate as good Jupiter.

And apart from meaning New place/port of Caesar, 'Nova' seemed multi-faceted;

Novae was initially one of the few great Roman legionary fortresses...along the Danube..

Novae involve an interaction between two stars that cause the flareup that is perceived as a new entity that is much brighter than the stars involved.

Particularly considering Caesar ?

In ancient Roman religion, the Flamen Dialis was the high priest of Jupiter. The term Dialis derives from Diespiter, the Italic equivalent to Jupiter.

May I ask if you have crystals too?

Back
Top Bottom