The Ghost and the Darkness

treesparrow

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
A film from 1996 starring Val Kilmer and Michael Douglas based on the book The Man-eaters of Tsavo by Lieutenant Colonel John Henry Patterson. The action takes place in East Africa in 1898 during the construction of a railway line and bridge where numerous workers were killed by 2 man-eating lions. (At least 135 died although some suggest it could have been up to 300). The movie depicts a just group of several hundred workers although the actual camp site contained 7, 000.

The lion pair would sometimes strike at night announcing their presence for 3 hours beforehand by continuously roaring adding to the collective terror, then rip a tent or two open and drag off an unfortunate victim. Other nights there would be no such warning, sometimes they would hit the camp in broad daylight. There seemed to be no set 'menu' as regards hunting strategy. Almost supernatural cunning and out right malevolence seemed to be involved. Certainly one of the local tribes and the labourers saw them as demons, evil spirits . (I can't help but wonder if they were in fact possessed).

The film has been 'Hollywoodised' a bit by the inclusion of the character played Douglas - he do not in fact exist - but it does not detract from the overall narrative, I think, it just adds bit more pizazz and excitement.

One more thing - no CGI - just great editing, camera angles and well trained maned lions. (The real lions were without manes)

Another one more thing - most films where creatures are used usually end with a statement saying that no animals harmed during production. In this case I wonder if any of the humans (extras) employed suffered at all - you know the sort of thing - 'I soon as you get your arm out of that lion's jaws - you're fired!!!'

Trailer -

Here's a fascinating documentary of the events -

Certainly one of the local tribes and the labourers saw them as demons, evil spirits . (I can't help but wonder if they were in fact possessed).
I think I remember from the movie that they say something like "that's not a lion!", because what that lion was doing was against the normal nature of lions.

So I also think it's possible.

Back
Top Bottom