The Gnostic Circle by Patrizia Norelli-Bachelet

Helle

Jedi Master
I was looking into Gurdjieff's Emneagram and the nine distinct personality types.

I don't know if they have any Truth in them, but for learning about my own type, I find it helpful to read about.
Exactly WHO wrote this and if it holds any truth is a bit unclear to me, that's why I come here to ask, if anyone has any clues about this. As I understand it, it was some of G's students that worked on this after his death.
Well, there's alot to this Emneagram, I'll just recite the types, because I find them informative and funny to look at One Self. Taken from _http://psychology.wikia.com/wiki/Enneagram

One: Reformer, Critic, Perfectionist - This type focuses on integrity. Ones can be wise, discerning and inspiring in their quest for the truth. They also tend to dissociate themselves from their flaws or what they believe are flaws (such as negative emotions) and can become hypocritical and hyper-critical of others, seeking the illusion of virtue to hide their own vices. The One's greatest fear is to be flawed, and their ultimate goal is perfection. The corresponding "deadly sin" of the One is Anger, while the One's "holy idea" or essence is Holy Perfection. Under stress, Ones express qualities of the Four, and when flourishing, they express qualities of the Seven.

Two: Helper, Giver, Caretaker - Twos, at their best, are compassionate, thoughtful and astonishingly generous; they can also be prone to passive-aggressive behavior, clinginess and manipulation. Twos want, above all, to be loved and needed and fear being unworthy of love. The corresponding "deadly sin" of the Two is Pride, while the Two's "holy idea" or essence is Holy Will. Under stress, Twos express qualities of the Eight, and when flourishing, they express qualities of the Four.

Three: Achiever, Performer, Succeeder - Highly adaptable and changeable. Some walk the world with confidence and unstinting authenticity; others wear a series of public masks, acting the way they think will bring them approval and losing track of their true self. Threes are motivated by the need to succeed and to be seen as successful. The corresponding "deadly sin" of the Three is Deceit, while the Three's "holy idea" or essence is Holy Law. Under stress, Threes express qualities of the Nine, and when flourishing, they express qualities of the Six.

Four: Romantic, Individualist, Artist - Driven by a desire to understand themselves and find a place in the world, they often fear that they have no identity or personal significance. Fours embrace individualism and are often profoundly creative and intuitive. However, they have a habit of withdrawing to internalize, searching desperately inside themselves for something they never find and creating a spiral of depression. The angsty musician or tortured artist is often a stereotypical Four. The corresponding "deadly sin" of the Four is Envy, while the Four's "holy idea" or essence is Holy Origin. Under stress, Fours express qualities of the Two, and when flourishing, they express qualities of the One.

Five: Observer, Thinker, Investigator - Fives are motivated by the desire to understand the world around them, specifically in terms of facts. Believing they are only worth what they contribute, Fives have learned to withdraw, to watch with keen eyes and speak only when they can shake the world with their observations. Sometimes they do just that. Often, instead, they withdraw from the world, becoming reclusive hermits and fending off social contact with abrasive cynicism. Fives fear incompetency or uselessness and want to be capable and knowledgeable above all else. The corresponding "deadly sin" of the Five is Avarice, while the Five's "holy idea" or essence is Holy Omniscience. Under stress, Fives express qualities of the Seven, and when flourishing, they express qualities of the Eight.

Six: Loyalist, Devil's Advocate, Defender - Sixes long for stability above all else. They exhibit unwavering loyalty and responsibility, but once crossed, they are not quick to trust again. They are prone to extreme anxiety and passive-aggressive behavior. Their greatest fear is to lack support and guidance. There are two types of sixes, phobic and counterphobic. Phobic sixes will have a tendency to run from or hide from what they fear, while a counterphobic six is more likely to attack or confront said fear. The corresponding "deadly sin" of the Six is Cowardice, while the Six's "holy idea" or essence is Holy Faith and Strength. Under stress, Sixes express qualities of the Three, and when flourishing, they express qualities of the Nine.

Seven: Enthusiast, Adventurer, Materialist, Epicure - Sevens flit from one activity to another with all the energy and enthusiasm of the Puer Aeternus. At their best, they embrace life for its varied joys and wonders and truly live in the moment; but at their worst they dash frantically from one new experience to another, being too scared of disappointment to enjoy what they have. Sevens fear being unable to provide for themselves or to experience the life in all of its richness. The corresponding "deadly sin" of the Seven is Gluttony, while the Seven's "holy idea" or essence is Holy Wisdom, Work, and Plan. Under stress, Sevens express qualities of the One, and when flourishing, they express qualities of the Five.

Eight: Leader, Protector, Challenger - Eights are motivated by justice and the desire to be in the right. They worry about self-protection and control. They are natural leaders, who can be capable and passionate or dictatorially manipulative, ruthless, and willing to destroy anything in their way. Eights seek control over their own life and their own destiny and fear being harmed or controlled by others. The corresponding "deadly sin" of the Eight is Lust, while the Eight's "holy idea" or essence is Holy Truth. Under stress, Eights express qualities of the Five, and when flourishing, they express qualities of the Two.

Nine: Mediator, Peacemaker, Preservationist - Nines are ruled by their empathy. At their best they are perceptive, receptive, gentle, calming and at peace with the world. On the other hand, they prefer to dissociate from conflicts and indifferently go along with others' wishes or simply withdraw, acting via inaction. They fear the conflict caused by their ability to simultaneously understand opposing points of view and seek peace of mind above all else. The corresponding "deadly sin" of the Nine is Sloth, while the Nine's "holy idea" or essence is Holy Love. Under stress, Nines express qualities of the Six, and when flourishing, they express qualities of the Three.

I also came across a book : The Gnostic Circle by Patrizia Norelli-Bachelet, which introduces a unique and profound understanding of astrology, the zodiac and the enneagram (says the Author).
She connects the types with planets, and I found it coincidental that I'm mostly a type 9 ( :-[ ) and Pluto is connected with that, and I'm a Scorpio.

Does anyone have experience with the above mentioned book or ideas?

The link below has more information. Oscar Ichazo introduced personality traits to the Enneagram symbol. Where Ichazo got the Enneagram from isn't clear in part because Ichazo actively tried to distance himself from Gurdjieff's work for copyright reasons. The Enneagram of Personality was built around the Christian virtues and vices and Enneagram-like models for the virtues and vices go back to at least the 13th century with Ramon Llull. It does match well with astrology cause of its head-heart-gut (air-water-other) structure and also matches well with the Chakras, Sefirot, and Centers. Gurdjieff's law of 3 and law of 7 are also represented in the 3-6-9 and 1-4-2-8-5-7 points. Add 9 to the 1-4-2-8-5-7 to get an octave.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enneagram_of_Personality

Back
Top Bottom