The latest position on the 22nd Amendment?

• Thread starter eyes and brain open
  • Start date
E

eyes and brain open

As a non-USA citizen, I'm unsure of the progress of the proposal to repeal this law, effectively allowing Bush to continue after 2 terms, heaven help us all...have you an update?

You might also be aware of the link between this amendment and the Enabling Act implemented by Hitler to gain dictatorial power in Germany. We also have the breathtaking Legislative and Regulatory Reform Bill in the UK (sounds boring? This gives UK Ministers to change any law as they see fit, without parliamentary approval).

http://cghs.dade.k12.fl.us/holocaust/enabling.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4815240.stm

An extract from the article on the enabling act. I for one find the similarities more than striking. Replace the Reichstag with the twin towers and the communists with the phoney war on "terror" and I think we can see where these particular laws in the US and the UK lead us to.... I find the lack of public awareness on this very very troubling.

"Under the Article 48 of the Weimar Constitution, Under the Article 48 of the Weimar Constitution, the Chancellor had the authority to impose dictatorial power to protect the democratic order from being overthrown. This measure was intended to put a stop to a possible Communist revolution. In February 4, 1933, Hitler convinced Paul von Hindenburg, the president of the Weimar Republic, to sign a decree that authorized the Minister of the Interior and the police to prohibit public meetings and publications that could endanger public security.

To Hitler's advantage, the Reichstag building was set on fire on February 27, 1933. A deranged Communist pyromaniac, Marinus van der Lubbe was blamed for the crime. However, the Nazi party more than likely staged the fire and used Lubbe as an scapegoat in order to blame the Communists. Consequently, the incident yielded political unrest in Germany and provided Hitler the opportunity to issue a series of emergency decrees over Hindenburg's signature that undermined the Constitution and destroyed basic liberties. "Described as measures to ward off 'Communist acts of violence endangering the state,' these decrees suspended all fundamental freedoms of speech, assembly, freedom from invasion of privacy (mail, telephone, telegram) and from house search without warrant" (50).. In February 4, 1933, Hitler convinced Paul von Hindenburg, the president of the Weimar Republic, to sign a decree that authorized the Minister of the Interior and the police to prohibit public meetings and publications that could endanger public security.

To Hitler's advantage, the Reichstag building was set on fire on February 27, 1933. A deranged Communist pyromaniac, Marinus van der Lubbe was blamed for the crime. However, the Nazi party more than likely staged the fire and used Lubbe as an scapegoat in order to blame the Communists. Consequently, the incident yielded political unrest in Germany and provided Hitler the opportunity to issue a series of emergency decrees over Hindenburg's signature that undermined the Constitution and destroyed basic liberties. "Described as measures to ward off 'Communist acts of violence endangering the state,' these decrees suspended all fundamental freedoms of speech, assembly, freedom from invasion of privacy (mail, telephone, telegram) and from house search without warrant" (50)."

Is there any chance of covering this issue in a future podcast?

I see the gradual conversion to dictatorship by entirely "legal" and "constitutional" means as as one of the greatest threats we all face today and the parrallels in history are striking and alarming, as is the control of the media. I see an article http://signs-of-the-times.org/signs/chains/signs20060502_AmericaDeFactoDictatorship.php#6160424db3f4cf691c0fb54092e has appeared on the site on the these subjects.

Has anyone any views? The silence is alarming

Wake up people!!

Back
Top Bottom