The State of Science in The 21st Century

"They are not only banning Russian athletes in the Olympics but Russian scientists too!!

🚨 Artem Oganov is a Russian scientist. Recently he was invited to speak at a scientific congress in South Korea that came with the condition of removing his affiliation with his 🇷🇺 Motherland from the official website of the congress.

⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

ABOUT HUMAN DIGNITY

A couple of months ago I was invited to give a lecture at the International Geological Congress (South Korea, August 2024). Two days ago I received a letter from the organizers demanding that the Russian affiliation be removed. I refused to do this - you can’t allow yourself to be humiliated. Science must not be turned into a tool of discrimination. Here is a letter from the organizers of the congress and my response. I ask for maximum reposts.

Sent: Friday, April 5, 2024 11:08 AM
Subject: [IGC 2024] Request for modification of your affiliation on the official website of IGC 2024

Dear Russian abstract submitters,

Warm greetings!

IGC 2024 Organizing Committee is very grateful for your submission of abstracts.

Nevertheless, we earnestly ask you to change your Russian affiliation to the other country's affiliation by 7th April, 2024 (UTC+9),

if possible.

If not, we cannot accept the abstracts from Russia during review period next week according to IUGS's policy.

If your abstacts are not accepted because of the nationality, your fee may be refunded.

Thank you again for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

IGC 2024 Organizing Committee

Sent: Friday, April 5, 2024 11:39 PM
To: XXXXXXXXXXXX
Subject: Fw: [IGC 2024] Request for modification of your affiliation on the official website of IGC 2024

Dear colleagues,

I am appalled, shocked and disappointed by your discrimination against Russian scientists. Such discrimination is against the spirit of science and is not compatible with the international status of the International Geological Congress that you are organizing.

While some people can be susceptible to xenophobia and hysteria induced by media and politicians, intellectuals should be above that. I hope that after a second thought you will agree that discrimination should have no place in science, in any international events, and more generally, in society - and will allow me and all other Russian scientists to use our Russian affiliations at IGC. Otherwise I will be unable to attend and will have to give this case maximum possible international publicity, in order to eradicate discrimination and racism from science.

P.S. I have never visited Korea, but visited other Asian countries (especially China) many times, and got used to their welcoming attitude and hospitality. I expected a similar attitude in South Korea, but your letter showed that perhaps I was wrong.

Cordially yours,

Artem R. Oganov PhD DSci FRSC

Back
Top Bottom