The Trigger, by Arthur C. Clarke and Michael Kube-McDowell

curious_richard

Jedi Master
SPOILER WARNING. This thread contains spoilers from the book.

I have read quite a bit from the suggested reading materials, and one common idea is that everything that exists has some amount of consciousness. People, animals, plants, and even the rocks and elements have at least some consciousness.

Recently, I remembered an interesting idea from the book "The Trigger" by Arthur C. Clarke and Michael Kube-McDowell, which I read a few years ago. The plot of this book revolves around the invention of a wave generator that produced a very specific wave, a wave with the extraordinary effect of causing explosives to spontaneously explode. Much of the story explores ideas about how things would change if there were a way to prevent people from using firearms. The wave generator would be used to create zones where people could not bring ammunition.

The end of the book brings the really interesting idea. So far, the researchers could not find out just why the waves triggered the explosives, just that they did. Then they came to the important conclusion, that all sub-atomic particles have a kind of program or instructions in them that tell them how to behave. Their wave generator just happened to create a wave that disrupted the instructions in one of the particles that was part of the explosives, which led to the explosives destabilizing. With more research down this path, waves could be generated that might do any number of useful things at the atomic level.

And now I am thinking about the apparent similarities between these two ideas, the idea of consciousness in all material things and the idea of sub-atomic particles having a program giving it instructions on what it needs to do.

Back
Top Bottom