Therion - Voyage of Gurdjieff

Russ

Jedi Master
Had this for a while but I forgot about it until now :>
Its sort of epic metal, I don't really know how to describe it... lets just say, most people would give you a funny look if they heard you playing it ;) (edit: the singing, not the instrumentals)

I think theres some spelling mistakes in these lyrics, but you should get the general idea. I just thought people might be interested because its the only Gurdjieff song I've heard, they don't seem to be that common.

Artist: Therion
Album: Sirius B
Song: Voyage of gurdjieff (the fourth way)

Walk all alone on a quest to wake up, as the day you said:
"Life is only real then, when

In search for Gurdjieff's musical legacy, I came across a radio show which devotes one hour to his compositions, mostly written together with Thomas de Hartmann.

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/newsounds/episodes/2003/07/12

The music indeed reminded me to a live recording of Keith Jarrett, the completely improvised 'Koln Concert', which was almost erased from my memory.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000262WI/002-6222390-5909625?v=glance&n=5174

As one of the reviewers on Amazon writes:

"The Koln Concert just floats. It belongs nowhere. It is in a world of its own. No one, including Jarrett, has ever, and will ever make another composition like this one. It belongs to no category. It obeys no rules. It does something to you that only Toccata and Fugue in D Minor comes close to doing to you. (...) Keith Jarrett hates this album because he knows he will never repeat such a divine composition. Notice something interesting - Koln is not played even in Jarrett's style."

I felt the same - I had it when it came out as album in the 70s, downloaded mp3s from the net, then last year bought the CDs - I have it on my favorites-mp3-CD for my car stereo -- and funny enough I dont like a single other piece from Keith!

btw: those who like G.'s sometimes strange musical intonations might want to listen to the "four directions meditation" - its an old sufi technique I did for a long time and loved it - but just listening to it is a beautiful trance-inducing experience.

Back
Top Bottom