Thought Experiment - Bob & Jimmy

Natus Videre

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Let's play a game!

There are two characters: Bob and Jimmy.

Bob is a fervent materialist. He can hardly conceive that there is more to life that the mechanical processes governing the physical body. Jimmy, on the other hand, is open to the idea that there is a higher purpose to physical existence. Both men are eager to find the truth and are willing to discuss the matter in a respectful manner.

You play both characters at the same time. Your goal is to create a dialog by coming up with the strongest arguments you can find for each side. Start with a premise, and defend your ground until a position becomes practically untenable or absurd!

Here is my first attempt:

Jimmy: You know, Bob, I don't think randomness played such a significant role in the evolution of the modern human.
Bob: How so?
Jimmy: Let's rewind a little bit. What is the probability of rolling ten consecutive 5's with a fair die?
Bob: Let's see. So (1/6)^10 = 0.0000000165..., so the probability is around 0.00000165%.
Jimmy: Very low, isn't it? Now, what is the probability of randomly rolling the entire human DNA?

Bob: Extremely, extremely low... but you are missing the point!
Jimmy: What is the point?
Bob: Given enough time, there is a chance that it may happen! In fact, this has happened and that's why we are here!
Jimmy: So you are saying that we, as humans, are the result of an extremely lucky process?
Bob: Yes!
Jimmy: What happened to all the organisms that "didn't make it," i.e. that were "errors" of Nature?
Bob: They didn't survive, that's why they don't exist anymore.
Jimmy: But you see, at some point, they did exist. "Luck was on their side... until it wasn't," as you would put it.
Bob: Yes, then mutations derailed them, and they couldn't cope with their environment.
Jimmy: Well, species can go extinct without genetic failures. For example, if humans decide to kill all lions in Africa, there is not much the lions can do to stop them.
Bob: That's true, but you see, the lion's vulnerability is all coded in its genes. And so is the human's ability to destroy.
Jimmy: Isn't it fascinating that there is always a "stronger" organism that can seal the fate of a "weaker" organism?
Bob: That's the beauty of life! All organisms are pushed, through their interactions, to become the "best versions" of themselves in order to survive.
Jimmy: Isn't that a foundational principle upon which all the rest is built? I mean, whether organisms are created or destroyed, this metaphysical concept "outlives" the life cycle of any organism. It is not subject to genetic failures. You cannot touch it, it's not physical, but you can observe the way organisms behave, i.e. how this principle is applied through them, whether they are aware of it or not.
Bob: In some other universe, there could be another guiding principle. For example, organisms could seek to become the "worst versions" of themselves.
Jimmy: Is this other principle also randomly generated?
Bob: It could be. Why not?
Jimmy: What I am trying to say is that there exists a structure, or a set of rules or principles which never changes. An unstable system cannot generate a stable sub-system, because the unstable system will eventually degrade and annihilate its "stable" sub-systems along with itself, and there won't be anything left to kickstart any future system. Therefore, ultimately, at the origin, at the very core of our existence, there is a very stable system devoid of imperfections, which can produce other stable or even very unstable sub-systems. In other words, in order to make a mistake, there first has to be the opportunity of making a mistake. And that opportunity is always available, as it is granted to all possible sub-systems by the stable "master" system. We are an embodiment of the metaphysical principles stemming from that ultimate, "master" system. These principles cannot change, because they are part of the stable "master" system which will always exist. Hypothetically, if these principles were to change, it would mean that the system in question is not the "master" system.

Let's play a game!

There are two characters: Bob and Jimmy.

Bob is a fervent materialist. He can hardly conceive that there is more to life that the mechanical processes governing the physical body. Jimmy, on the other hand, is open to the idea that there is a higher purpose to physical existence. Both men are eager to find the truth and are willing to discuss the matter in a respectful manner.

You play both characters at the same time. Your goal is to create a dialog by coming up with the strongest arguments you can find for each side. Start with a premise, and defend your ground until a position becomes practically untenable or absurd!

Here is my first attempt:

Jimmy: You know, Bob, I don't think randomness played such a significant role in the evolution of the modern human.
Bob: How so?
Jimmy: Let's rewind a little bit. What is the probability of rolling ten consecutive 5's with a fair die?
Bob: Let's see. So (1/6)^10 = 0.0000000165..., so the probability is around 0.00000165%.
Jimmy: Very low, isn't it? Now, what is the probability of randomly rolling the entire human DNA?

Bob: Extremely, extremely low... but you are missing the point!
Jimmy: What is the point?
Bob: Given enough time, there is a chance that it may happen! In fact, this has happened and that's why we are here!
Jimmy: So you are saying that we, as humans, are the result of an extremely lucky process?
Bob: Yes!
Jimmy: What happened to all the organisms that "didn't make it," i.e. that were "errors" of Nature?
Bob: They didn't survive, that's why they don't exist anymore.
Jimmy: But you see, at some point, they did exist. "Luck was on their side... until it wasn't," as you would put it.
Bob: Yes, then mutations derailed them, and they couldn't cope with their environment.
Jimmy: Well, species can go extinct without genetic failures. For example, if humans decide to kill all lions in Africa, there is not much the lions can do to stop them.
Bob: That's true, but you see, the lion's vulnerability is all coded in its genes. And so is the human's ability to destroy.
Jimmy: Isn't it fascinating that there is always a "stronger" organism that can seal the fate of a "weaker" organism?
Bob: That's the beauty of life! All organisms are pushed, through their interactions, to become the "best versions" of themselves in order to survive.
Jimmy: Isn't that a foundational principle upon which all the rest is built? I mean, whether organisms are created or destroyed, this metaphysical concept "outlives" the life cycle of any organism. It is not subject to genetic failures. You cannot touch it, it's not physical, but you can observe the way organisms behave, i.e. how this principle is applied through them, whether they are aware of it or not.
Bob: In some other universe, there could be another guiding principle. For example, organisms could seek to become the "worst versions" of themselves.
Jimmy: Is this other principle also randomly generated?
Bob: It could be. Why not?
Jimmy: What I am trying to say is that there exists a structure, or a set of rules or principles which never changes. An unstable system cannot generate a stable sub-system, because the unstable system will eventually degrade and annihilate its "stable" sub-systems along with itself, and there won't be anything left to kickstart any future system. Therefore, ultimately, at the origin, at the very core of our existence, there is a very stable system devoid of imperfections, which can produce other stable or even very unstable sub-systems. In other words, in order to make a mistake, there first has to be the opportunity of making a mistake. And that opportunity is always available, as it is granted to all possible sub-systems by the stable "master" system. We are an embodiment of the metaphysical principles stemming from that ultimate, "master" system. These principles cannot change, because they are part of the stable "master" system which will always exist. Hypothetically, if these principles were to change, it would mean that the system in question is not the "master" system.
Hi. I want to play, lol, but I was wondering...does my 'debate' between Bob and Jimmy have to be the same topic that you used? I'm having trouble coming up with something, and honestly, yours was so good it's a little intimidating.
If each of us are to write Bob and Jimmy discussing our chosen topics, I (and others) might find it a little easier to argue both sides.
I'm not trying to change your game, just trying to establish the game plan before I start.

Hi. I want to play, lol, but I was wondering...does my 'debate' between Bob and Jimmy have to be the same topic that you used? I'm having trouble coming up with something, and honestly, yours was so good it's a little intimidating.
If each of us are to write Bob and Jimmy discussing our chosen topics, I (and others) might find it a little easier to argue both sides.
I'm not trying to change your game, just trying to establish the game plan before I start.
It doesn't have to be on the same topic. The idea is to 'stay in character' and express both viewpoints (Bob's materialism and Jimmy's idealism) as objectively as possible.

For example, another discussion could start like this:

Bob: Life has no meaning.
Jimmy: Really? What makes you think so?

Ok thank you. I will think on this for a bit. I argue with myself all the time so it should be a piece of cake, lol.
I’m sorry you didn’t have an siblings to argue with.

May be you can live vicariously through bob and Jimmy to do some things you missed out on.

Bob: hey Jimmy, can you come over on Saturday to help me move those big rocks to build the retainer wall.

Jimmy: sure mate, may be we can sing to them so we don’t break our backs, have you been practicing with that tuning fork I gave you?

Bob: hahaha, sure have, it’s perfect for holding the roast beef still while I carve it up

Jimmy: oh your ancestors must be so proud of you.

I’m sorry you didn’t have an siblings to argue with.

May be you can live vicariously through bob and Jimmy to do some things you missed out on.

Bob: hey Jimmy, can you come over on Saturday to help me move those big rocks to build the retainer wall.

Jimmy: sure mate, may be we can sing to them so we don’t break our backs, have you been practicing with that tuning fork I gave you?

Bob: hahaha, sure have, it’s perfect for holding the roast beef still while I carve it up

Jimmy: oh your ancestors must be so proud of you.
Lol. I'm fine with being an only child. You don't miss what you never had!
I would like to live vicariously through Bob & Jimmy, I just need to come up with something. (Was up stupid early today and am basically brain dead now. I hope to be inspired tomorrow.)

I love what you wrote. You should keep going with that, it's funny. Now I'm going to want to write something funny too.
(tuning fork...*snort/laugh*...brilliant)

Bob: Hey bro, whatcha reading? Don't tell me it's that C's stuff again!
Jimmy: I am and it wouldn't hurt you to read some too.
Bob: Hahaha, it's all crap. I can't believe you're falling for it. It's fiction, man.
Jimmy: Well a lot of research has gone into proving much of it correct. Don't you want to know about your soul and what happens when you die?

Bob: When I die, I die. I'm dead. Gone. Ghandi Gone.
Jimmy: But you don't know that for sure. What about NDE's and reincarnation? Ghosts, spirits, bleeding religious statues...?
Bob: That's all made up stuff, fiction. People see Jesus burned into their toast, for Pete's sake, they need counselling.
Jimmy: What about videos, pictures, groups of people seeing things. What about UFO's??

Bob: Videos and pictures can be faked. People can fake stories to get attention. UFO's are science fiction...still fiction, eh?
Jimmy: So there's a whole lotta people running around having psychotic meltdowns or making stuff up for attention? Is that what you're saying? No other explanations?
Bob: Heavy on the psychotic breaks, hahaha! Why do ya think so many people are on meds? I know you think their souls are aching, or something woo-woo but really their brain chemicals are messed up and they think they "see dead people".
Jimmy: I'm grabbing us another beer if we're gonna have this conversation again.

Bob: Thanks man. I'm not trying to hurt your feelings but you gotta stop this dreaming about realms and densities and live in the now. This is it, life is here and now. What you see is what you get. There is no "after".
Jimmy: I know you're not, but this stuff feels real to me. I get it. It makes more sense to me than anything else.
Bob: You sure you don't just want to believe it because you lost your job and your wife left? Seems like a fantasy escape to me.
Jimmy: I mean, yeah...I felt like a loser for a while. But then I started reading the C's and "The Wave", and my whole life makes sense to me now. I can't really explain it any better.

Bob: You're not really explaining it now. I think it's an excuse to not face reality.
Jimmy: Well I think this is a reality that you don't want to face.
Bob: So I guess we've reached a stalemate? You have your beliefs and I have mine.
Jimmy: I guess we have. Still buds? *cheers* You do you friend, and I'll do me.

Reactions: Pat
Bob: Hey bro, whatcha reading? Don't tell me it's that C's stuff again!
Jimmy: I am and it wouldn't hurt you to read some too.
Bob: Hahaha, it's all crap. I can't believe you're falling for it. It's fiction, man.
Jimmy: Well a lot of research has gone into proving much of it correct. Don't you want to know about your soul and what happens when you die?

Jimmy: But you don't know that for sure. What about NDE's and reincarnation? Ghosts, spirits, bleeding religious statues...?
Bob: That's all made up stuff, fiction. People see Jesus burned into their toast, for Pete's sake, they need counselling.
Jimmy: What about videos, pictures, groups of people seeing things. What about UFO's??
Very good. I see you have made Jimmy unleash "supernatural" concepts on Bob very quickly in the conversation!
Now try to introduce these concepts very slowly. Build a logical argument with what each character gives you. Like a chain of thoughts, each response adds a layer on top of the preceding one. Pretend like both characters have not witnessed any "supernatural" phenomena and are only aware of the mundane facts of life. This way, you can break out of the "it doesn't exist because I haven't seen it" loop, because the arguments are first grounded in observable reality before becoming more abstract. The goal is to gradually unveil, through logical statements, the abstract nature of existence, such that it becomes really difficult or even impossible to deny.

Here's how I would have continued:
Jimmy: How do you know that you are truly dead?
Bob: That's a good question, because now that I think about it, when I'm dead, I won't have the physical ability to assess that I'm dead! My internal organs will have stopped working! But other people around will be able to tell that I'm dead.
Jimmy: Interesting, so you're saying that there are two perceptions of death (your perception of death and other people's perception of your death).
Bob: Yes.
Jimmy: What if you could perceive yourself after your own death? What would that entail?
Bob: It would mean that there is something more after death, but I don't see how that would be possible.
Jimmy: Suppose that we are the only living beings left, and then we decide to both commit suicide. Who would know that we are dead?

Back
Top Bottom