Village of the Damned (Psychopath?)

treesparrow

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
John Carpenter remade this classic 1960 British sci-fi thriller( based on the book The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndam) in 1995. The plot basically revolves around the strange and malevolent
behaviour of children in a remote village. In the Carpenter version the sceenplay is different and when watching the movie - and I maybe reaching a bit here- I was struck by the observation that some of the dialogue which could be construed as the worldview of psychopaths. In one scene a parent talks to their child about how it's wrong to hurt another human being, the child being telepathic reads the mind of the adult and answers " you're talking about empathy", the adult surprised and delighted replies "yes" but then suddenly realizes( judging from the look on her face ) that the word carries absolutely no emotional weight or meaning for the child. In another scene a child talks of a 'biological obligation ' to destroy normal people because the children ( whoever or whatever they are) could not live alongside ordinary humanity.

There are other gems in the dialogue similar to the above which can be seen here:-

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114852/quotes

I suppose it can be seen as either an alien intervention film or about the deviant behaviour of odd beings (leaving aside their supernatural abilities) who look human but are not truly so. Sci-fi or psy- fi.

Just to reiterate for anyone who might want to see it - this is the 1995 remake.

Hi,

I loved this movie (the original black and white) growing up, and it always scared the bajeezez out of me for some reason. I haven't watched it for along time but I do remember that the original version had a LOT of messages in it, regarding empathy, science, racial prejeduice etc...
It was a very good movie I thought.

I didn't think the remake was as good as the original, but what remake ever is? All in all the remake did make some points as well and it was still scary. Mind you I watched the remake when I was 13 or 14 and the original when I was 8 or 9.

Great movie(s) . Highly recommended.
Nina

Back
Top Bottom