Vision Therapy

Masamune

Jedi Council Member
I recently started going to vision therapy in order to improve a condition I have called convergence insufficiency. This condition is where the eyes are not looking at the same spot when focusing on an object and thus it requires great strain to focus on the object. This causes severe headaches which can be debilitating. I had never heard of vision therapy before recently so I would like to share some information about it and see if anyone else has had any experience with it.

What is Vision Therapy?

Vision Therapy Is Effective Treatment

Vision therapy -- a type of physical therapy for the eyes and brain -- is a highly effective non-surgical treatment for many common visual problems such as lazy eye, crossed eyes, double vision, convergence insufficiency and some reading and learning disabilities. Many patients who have been told, "it's too late," or "you'll have to learn to live with it" have benefited from vision therapy.

In the case of learning disabilities, vision therapy is specifically directed toward resolving visual problems which interfere with reading, learning and educational instruction. Optometrists do not claim that vision therapy is a direct treatment for learning disabilities.
What is involved in a Vision Therapy program?
Vision therapy is --

* a progressive program of vision "exercises" or procedures;
* performed under doctor supervision;
* individualized to fit the visual needs of each patient;
* conducted in-office, in once or twice weekly sessions of 30 minutes to one hour;
* sometimes supplemented with procedures done at home between office visits ("home reinforcement" or "homework");
* (depending on the case) prescribed to --
o help patients develop or improve fundamental visual skills and abilities;
o improve visual comfort, ease, and efficiency;
o change how a patient processes or interprets visual information.

Vision Therapy Is Not Just Eye Exercises
Vision Therapy is not to be confused with any self-directed self-help program of eye exercises which is or has been marketed to the public. In-office Vision Therapy is supervised by optometric vision care professionals and various types of treatment devices are used (and some are regulated medical devices), such as:

* corrective lenses (regulated medical devices);
* therapeutic lenses (regulated medical devices);
* prism lenses (regulated medical devices);
* optical filters;
* eye patches or occluders
* electronic targets with timing mechanisms;
* computer software;
* vestibular (balance) equipment
* visual-motor-sensory integration training devices

The first step in any Vision Therapy program is a comprehensive vision examination. Following a thorough evaluation, a qualified vision care professional can advise the candidate as to whether Vision Therapy would be appropriate treatment.

Also Jeep posted an article about this recently: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=13055.msg94863#msg94863

Here is a video explaining vision therapy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWKWNPdxpyk

Also video - Vision Therapy Saved My Life! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT49zeTLTC8

Apparently vision therapy can help a lot with certain learning disabilities and sometimes ADD. I personally have been having trouble reading for the past 5-6 years and has caused me much grief. :( I would like to read a lot more but have been getting horrible migraines which start immediately when I start reading with both eyes.

Has anyone else had any experience with vision therapy? What has helped you with vision difficulties?

As an optometrist, I have referred a few of my patients for Vision Therapy (convergence insufficiency being one reason why). I personally do not do training, but am lucky to have a full time VT optometrist in the city I practice in. The therapy is effective (if practiced consistently) and I have seen some very impressive results. Typically, the younger the training is started, the better the results, however, recent research has found that the visual/neural pathways are much more flexible than previously believed.

Good luck. And remember, consistency is the key!

Hi LissyLou,

LissyLou said:
As an optometrist, I have referred a few of my patients for Vision Therapy (convergence insufficiency being one reason why). I personally do not do training, but am lucky to have a full time VT optometrist in the city I practice in. The therapy is effective (if practiced consistently) and I have seen some very impressive results. Typically, the younger the training is started, the better the results, however, recent research has found that the visual/neural pathways are much more flexible than previously believed.

What results have you seen in patients with convergence insufficiency? Did they have headaches and were they relieved? How long were they in vision therapy for? Do you know of any exercises they were doing that worked?

LissyLou said:
Good luck. And remember, consistency is the key!

Yes this is what I have heard. Thank you! ;D

Because I am not doing VT myself, I don't have statistics on hand. But the most recent study by the National Eye Institute concluded that the most effective treatment for convergence insufficiency was weekly office based treatment with at home reinforcement exercises. This was effective 75% of the time and took 3 months or longer. This study was done with children ranging in age from 9 to 17 and I am guessing that the time it takes, as well as effectiveness, depends on the consistency of following the exercises.

The specific exercises were 'pencil push-ups' and computer therapy programs. Another common exercise is a Brock String. Pencil pushups are great because you can do those anywhere. I used to do these while bored in class.....to strengthen my visual system....and give the ciliary muscle alittle work out.

After completing a VT program, you will likely have to do maintenance at home. Symptoms can return if you become ill, sleep deprived or doing excessive reading or near point work.

I am assuming your best correction with glasses has been determined and you are using it. If symptoms are severe and not abated after therapy, prism can be put in the glasses to do some of the work and take the strain off your visual system. Prism can be tricky....and may involve some trial and error.

Hope this helps.

LissyLou said:
The specific exercises were 'pencil push-ups' and computer therapy programs. Another common exercise is a Brock String. Pencil pushups are great because you can do those anywhere. I used to do these while bored in class.....to strengthen my visual system....and give the ciliary muscle alittle work out.

Thanks for the info. Yes the main exercises I have been doing have been the computer programs, the brock string, and the hart chart. I recently got some other ones to try but haven't gotten into them yet.

LissyLou said:
As an optometrist, I have referred a few of my patients for Vision Therapy (convergence insufficiency being one reason why).

I am curious, what results did you see with the patients that you referred to Vision Therapy (especially those with CI)? I am not exactly sure how the process works but would you see these patients again or would they just work with the vision therapist from then on?

Unfortunately, many patients are lost to follow up. Of the patients I have received progress reports on, the results were impressive, but they were for amblyopia (decreased vision in one eye) secondary to the eye turning in or out constantly. I have not referred any patients for Convergence Insufficiency in I can't remember when.

I am working in commercial optometry, but typically, the VT optometrist will send the patient back to me for refraction and glasses if they need an update. And then yearly exams after they complete the VT program.

Back
Top Bottom