weird "shapes" appearing on apple?

• Thread starter Deleted member 11729
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 11729

Does anyone maybe have one idea how this strange "drawings" can appear on apple?

First photo with this more deliberate shape was noticed at 7am in my friend kitchen and the rest 3 at 9pm?

:huh: :huh:

Attachments

• apple4.jpg
    apple4.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 209
  • apple1.jpg
    apple1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 205
  • apple2.jpg
    apple2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 205
  • apple3.jpg
    apple3.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 204
Possibly a sawfly?

http://apples.hdc.org.uk/apple-sawfly.asp
Adults fly during blossom and lay their eggs singly in the side of receptacles leaving characteristic scar marks. Larvae hatch out shortly after petal fall. The larvae burrow beneath the surface of the fruitlets causing characteristic ribbon scars.

Characteristic-ribbon-scars.jpg

If this is the case, the apples will have maggots.

If not, you can create that effect by using something blunt and pressing firmly into the surface. fwiw

thank you RedFox, so probably something like that, and worm is underneet the surface "drawing" around :)

RedFox said:
Possibly a sawfly?

[...]

If this is the case, the apples will have maggots.

If not, you can create that effect by using something blunt and pressing firmly into the surface. fwiw

This was also my first impression, that it might be some maggots. Maybe your friend could check the apples if there are indeed maggots in them or not.

Gawan said:
Maybe your friend could check the apples if there are indeed maggots in them or not.

Unfortunately his mum already trash it ....

solarmind said:
Gawan said:
Maybe your friend could check the apples if there are indeed maggots in them or not.

Unfortunately his mum already trash it ....

Oh no! A great discovery lost to science by a mum....

Here is a video of similar apples:

https://youtu.be/6M-TNlcViFQ

The video description says:

June 3, 2014

According to the seller, the apples are Georgian. Weird writing-like patterns started appearing one day after buying them. The appleas are absolutely healthy, no worms and no rotting there.
:huh:

Looks critter like to me. My first thought was that it looks like what the Emerald Ash Borer does to trees as seen here. Like chomping little trails. Too bad it was tossed out. Would be curious to see what the flesh looks like underneath?

Attachments

• EAB_Tracesresized.jpg
    EAB_Tracesresized.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 93
I have worked for years in apple production , and although it's true that the patterns formed are unusual, the skin conditions could have a number of explanations

Skin damage of this nature is usually related to CO2 damage, on apples that have been stored in controlled atmosphere chambers which over the years I have seen on a range of varieties, however the pattern on that fruit is not something I have seen before.

Scald is another condition that produces skin marks, a disease in the apple that only often appears after storage

I have also seen some skin necrosis, where the skin appears to have a mottled browning. This is often related to over maturity at picking.

In all three disorders, CO2 damage, Scald and skin necrosis there can be an indentation in the skin where the browning occurs. Also in all three the damage will tend to be skin deep. CO 2 damage can manifest itself within the flesh, this will appear as a flesh discolouration.

It could also be that your apples had some unseen skin damage possibly caused by a chemical drying on the skin, such as a post-harvest fungicide, I have also seen this several times, but again the irregular pattern is not familiar. If someone applied the chems or another liquid directly on to to the forming fruit - that alone , or even Sunburn
could cause those patterns.

The fact the patterns appeared when you brought them home may add weight to one of the above theories. If they had been stored at fridge temps. the patterns would appear after several hours in ambient temperatures.

In the past, especially in Chinese growing regions, on large fruit, logo's and messages have been produced on the skin of apples, to mark special occasions or novelty messages. I haven't seen it done for years because it is laborious, and therefore expensive - but really when growing it is not hard to produce a pattern on a skin of an apple

Would be helpful to know the variety, (you say they were Georgian) and the date you saw them...they would be good clues

Sorry not much help in this case, but as mum has binned them - we won't know for sure

Siberia said:
Here is a video of similar apples:

https://youtu.be/6M-TNlcViFQ

The video description says:

June 3, 2014

According to the seller, the apples are Georgian. Weird writing-like patterns started appearing one day after buying them. The appleas are absolutely healthy, no worms and no rotting there.
:huh:

ups so it might not bee a little creature below the skin .... :huh: ... eh unfortunately mum get scared and didn't want to peel it or touch it for more detailed research, you know how it goes ...

Ska thank you for your explanation too, yes I noticed that apple deviation what you wrote about related to CO2 but also never really in those elaborated patterns ... maybe combination of both, and maybe a little larva get killed by chemicals just before it arrived to the shop, and in the storage fridge the pattern just wasn't visible.

Back
Top Bottom