What was it and where did it go?

JGeropoulas

The Living Force
I had just read Laura's article, "Forget Global Warming, We're One Step From Extinction" http://www.signs-of-the-times.org/articles/show/128992-Forget+About+Global+Warming%3A+We%27re+One+Step+From+Extinction%21 when I came across this captivating photo in an old National Geographic (1977, "The Celts"). I could just imagine tidal waves during the last cataclysm ripping away half this structure that had been "safely" built 300 feet above the waves.

Below is some background I found on the web. It makes some interesting points concerning debate whether this was a fort or ceremonial structure. I never did see any date for its construction, other than "prehistoric" (but which "history" ;) ).

Celtic "Fort"
Aengus on Inishmore
CelticFort-DunAengusonInishmore.jpg

The most famous prehistoric fort of the Aran islands is situated in Árainn at the edge of a cliff approximately a hundred meters high and dominates at the other side the area of Cill Mhuirbhigh. It's surely the most spectacular place of the island and the best moments to visit it is very early in the morning or after sunset when peace returns and the waves of the sea can be heard breaking violently at the base of the cliff.

According to mythology, Aengus, son of the God Dagda and the Goddess Boann (personification of the Boyne river), was King of the Fir Bolg, a Celtic tribe who settled down on Aran and constructed these forts for protecting themselves from the inhabitants of the "continent."

It's composed of series of 4 concentric walls and 3 different levels. The first ring is 4 meters high at some points. The original shape was presumably oval or D-shaped but no written records describe the original shape of this fort. It is assumed that the end part collapsed due to erosion by the sea. In the middle, a large rectangular stone slab is visible that faces to the cliff. Its function is unknown.
An interesting aspect of this fort is the massive stone a Chevaux de Frise, a defensive system that utilizes slabs of stone or wood planted into the ground to make access difficult, especially to horses. It extends all around the third line of walls and in some points it's still very well preserved.

Because it wasn't possible to have a good view of an approaching enemy, there is debate as to the true function of these so-called "forts." In any event, the Chevaux de Frise makes it clear that the inhabitants wanted to control access to the structure. Some studies suggest this structure was used by the druids for seasonal ceremonies and magical rites.

This ancient site was discussed recently on a bbc tv series called Coast. If I recall correctly it was stated in the commentary that the sea cliffs here erode at a rate of about a foot a year and that the site was about 2,500 years old. I think it was further said that as a consequence about a kilometre of land had therefore been lost to the sea since that time.

Bascally it seems that the site was lost to mundane sea erosion.

treesparrow said:
This ancient site was discussed recently on a bbc tv series called Coast. If I recall correctly it was stated in the commentary that the sea cliffs here erode at a rate of about a foot a year and that the site was about 2,500 years old. I think it was further said that as a consequence about a kilometre of land had therefore been lost to the sea since that time.

Bascally it seems that the site was lost to mundane sea erosion.
Probably so.

For me, the ruins were mainly a jumping off point for envisioning the aftermath of the kind of cataclysm due again soon. As for actual history, "mundane sea erosion" is the obvious candidate. However, several alternate possibilities occur to me:

Perhaps this BBC broadcast is just one more effort by the matrix/media to demystify clues telling us there's more to human history and the nature of reality than we've been told. (I hope to elaborate on this idea soon in a review of the recent "TIME" special publication, "Exploring The Unexplained-The World's Greatest Marvels, Mysteries and Myths" Let's just say it's interesting which phenomena they ridicule and which they confirm.)

Perhaps today's observable sea erosion only began after a cataclysmic tidal wave initiated it.

Surely during the years of planning and assembling of materials, the bright folks building this structure would've noticed their chosen site was vulnerable to erosion "at a rate of about a foot a year."

Or, perhaps sea erosion is the real culprit and they did notice it, but then built "safely" 2,500 feet from the cliff at that time. Whether "mudane" or cataclysmic forces at work, both realities should awaken people to reflect on the fleeting nature of the material world and their essential task of discovering the nature of reality and their options therein.

Back
Top Bottom