Whitley Strieber and The Work

O

Orffyreus

I've read some Whitley Strieber's books over the years and generally kept tabs on what he's up to.

One thing that has emerged is that he apparently had a teacher at the Gurdjieff Foundation, and in his writing he has tied this in various ways to his "contact experiences."

In one book, The Key, he describes a meeting with a being, "The Master of the Key," who tells him, among other things, that the meditation practices he learned at the Gurdjieff Foundation were designed to help build the "other bodies" that Gurdjieff describes. The Master of the Key describes the focus on attention and its effects within a practice in terms of quantum mechanics and the superposition of states to "charge up" the astral body. (No, I don't necessarily understand what quantum mechanics is really all about, so I don't quite know how to evaluate this information.)

About two years ago, Whitley began offering instructions for exercises. At one point, he described the aim behind at least some of the exercises as one of "fostering contact." (I think that was the exact phrase he used...) Several persons who tried these exercises and posted on his site described having missing time and other "visions" of the Visitors, specifically describing Grays in one instance.

I had experimented with a few of his initial exercises, but I became uncomfortable with this further commentary, and I did not continue with the exercises he subsequently offered. I concluded I was not interested in "fostering contact" with these beings. I also became uncomfortable over the fact that he was distributing these exercises far and wide, seemingly without discrimination. I continue to have reservations about it.

One reason for bringing this up, beyond just offering up a possible discussion of Whitley Strieber, is that in my own life, it seems like I'm encountering "Work-related ideas" all over the place. It seems to be coming out of the woodwork every which way I turn, and I would actually be interested in some commentary on possible meanings, if any, of this. (I've read some of Gurdjieff's commentary about influences and magnetic centre and such, so perhaps something is at work in that sense?)

I've also had some personal contact with a "school" in the "Bennett Line" (for any of you who maintain an interest in the various Work "lineages" and such). Some commentary I heard in this context was that it's always preferable for exercises to be given in person, with close supervision, which is also one reason for some of my discomfort over Whitley Strieber offering exercises to any takers. (I had some doubts that he necessarily knew what he was doing.)

I've seen some other topics in these forums about WS as an "instrument" of the Grays, as well as the various offshoot schools started by Ouspensky, Bennett, and others, and their suitability (or lack of same) to be starting schools. It's all information and commentary that I've been mulling over in thinking about and composing this post (composting?) over a couple of weeks, but I offer no conclusions of my own at this time.

Orffyreus

Back
Top Bottom