Why the push into Space today?

Woodsman

The Living Force
Tim Pool offers a look at today's state of space exploration, or more accurately, space commercialization.

I was surprised at the amount of push we're seeing recently to populate the void, mostly from the private sector. From satellites to contracts for developing Earth-Moon payload systems coming into shape in real ways, there appears to be an almost hectic rush to get hardware and people into orbit.

What gives? Why is this happening now? What is on the Moon that is worth going after?

Is a part of it simply that Musk's rocket system has lowered the cost of putting something into orbit to the point where mid-range corporate ventures can afford to play space ball? Is putting up a satellite going to be the new must-do board room objective for no other reason than "All the popular Fortune 500 companies are doing it, so we must as well!"?

This would have been exciting to see in the 70's and 80's; our first steps toward populating space! Today, though, I find it weird and vaguely alarming. If we wanted to stop it from happening, could we? I don't see that the average citizen has much choice in the matter.

Back
Top Bottom