Wondering about the (dots)'s and (slashes)'s ...

highmystica

Jedi Master
Is there a reason why some people insert (dot) or (slash) in the links they post on the forum? Personally I like when I can just right click on a link and open it in a new window and then use alt-tab to jump back and forth. Is it some little bit of forum ettiquette I'm unaware of?

highmystica said:
Is there a reason why some people insert (dot) or (slash) in the links they post on the forum? Personally I like when I can just right click on a link and open it in a new window and then use alt-tab to jump back and forth. Is it some little bit of forum ettiquette I'm unaware of?
Lots of internet bots, like for search engines, run around forums like ours and collect links to other websites. This gives them higher "search engine ratings" and stuff. We probably just don't want to inadvertently give higher ratings for websites we're not absolutely sure are "good" (and effectively promote their popularity as a result). At least that's how I understand it, maybe someone knows of a better reason. Maybe crazily popular "bad" websites it wouldn't matter like CNN or something cuz everybody knows them anyway, or neutral websites like AOL, MSN, or search engines and related stuff, but might care for websites like Rense and other questionable places. As a rule of thumb, if the website promotes any sort of idea, philosophies, etc - I don't put the link. Besides, I know those same bots would "associate" our website to theirs just by virtue of that link existing, and with that thought in mind, before I would post any link, I ask myself "Is there any reason why the association of that website to this forum could in any way harm the forum?". If the answer is "Yes" or "I don't know", I don't put the link to be safe (or disguise it with (dots) etc).

Also, if you have to manually enter the address into your browser, their won't be a referring URL leading back to the forum. That, and what Scio mentioned about not trying to help certain web site's google rankings, are the main reasons for disabling links.

Back
Top Bottom