words,roots, and searching

Hello Laura,
I address this post to you because I have been reading your work online since about mid 1999 and have had several Email correspondences with you, years ago.
The things you write are always lurking about in the back of my mind and "color" the way I have "grokked" (for lack of a better term, pls. excuse) the way I have experienced my life for quite some time.
I recently was fortunate enough to purchase one of your books from QFG press in Co. and need some assistance, from anyone who might be able to help out.
I am just past page 100 of The Secret History of the World and wanting to explore further the meanings of many words and root words to better understand. (I have quite a list)
Is there an online source that goes beyond wikipedia or webster? I have been so far dissappointed in what I have been able to find there.
:cool2:
Any assistance with links will be much appreciated.

Thank You,

Laurelayn

Laurelayn said:
I recently was fortunate enough to purchase one of your books from QFG press in Co. and need some assistance, from anyone who might be able to help out. I am just past page 100 of The Secret History of the World and wanting to explore further the meanings of many words and root words to better understand. (I have quite a list) Is there an online source that goes beyond wikipedia or webster?

Hello Laurelayn:

Are you aware of the Cassiopaea Esoteric Glossary? If not, you may find it helpful. Otherwise, I do not know of a free online dictionary that provides a really good etymological history of words. The very best is, of course, the Complete Oxford English Dictionary, but you have to pay to use that online. As someone with a serious book and word fetish, I actually have a complete hard-copy set of the OED (in tiny tiny print you need a magnifying glass to read), and would be happy to look up some words for you if you give me a list.... Otherwise, might be worth a trip to the nearest large public library to use their copy.... Warning, though, the OED can be seriously addictive.... ;)

Thank you both, the links have already been very helpful.
The term Nostratic from the linguist Hans Pederson, Do these scholars derive terms from the basis of their studies and they then become part of the language? is that how this works sometimes?
and the Etruscans, is there any further discovery of any of their history recently? for some reason I am fascinated by and very drawn to learning about the fate of the Etruscans. and of the Lemurians and the inhabitants of Mu from Atlantean times.
Maybe I should just finish the book, yes? so much to explore and yet life goes on.
I have many plants to get in the ground before it freezes here, it will be beautiful in the spring and summer though.
I am greatful to have found this forum, finally.
Thank you for your responses.

Laurelayn

Laurelayn said:
Thank you both, the links have already been very helpful.
The term Nostratic from the linguist Hans Pederson, Do these scholars derive terms from the basis of their studies and they then become part of the language? is that how this works sometimes?

That's how it works pretty much. Scientists consider it their right to create terms for their discoveries. Consider all the words that we now have from physics and mathematics. Sometimes their terms are imbued with humor - consider some physics terms - and sometimes they are completely counter-intuitive to "outsiders". My husband has a huge encyclopedia of math and physics which explains many terms there that are probably not even in regular dictionaries much less used by the public.

and the Etruscans, is there any further discovery of any of their history recently? for some reason I am fascinated by and very drawn to learning about the fate of the Etruscans.

They ARE fascinating, aren't they? We keep our eyes open for research and generally post it here in the forum and/or on sott if it comes in the form of a concise article.

and of the Lemurians and the inhabitants of Mu from Atlantean times.

As I understand it, the alleged Lemurians were a completely different "civilization" that came and went long before the alleged "Atlantean Times." In both cases, there isn't much in the way of facts to go on. There's a lot of channeled nonsense and whacky speculation.

Maybe I should just finish the book, yes? so much to explore and yet life goes on.
I have many plants to get in the ground before it freezes here, it will be beautiful in the spring and summer though.
I am greatful to have found this forum, finally.
Thank you for your responses.

Laurelayn

Good luck with your garden and your reading.

PepperFritz said:
The very best is, of course, the Complete Oxford English Dictionary, but you have to pay to use that online. As someone with a serious book and word fetish, I actually have a complete hard-copy set of the OED (in tiny tiny print you need a magnifying glass to read), and would be happy to look up some words for you if you give me a list.... Otherwise, might be worth a trip to the nearest large public library to use their copy.... Warning, though, the OED can be seriously addictive.... ;)

You could try looking around on your local town/council/library website, and see if they're subscribed. I just follow the link, enter my library card number, and voila! If not, then post up what you need and I'll search for you too.

lauralayn said:
Is there an online source that goes beyond wikipedia or webster? I have been so far dissappointed in what I have been able to find there.

Any assistance with links will be much appreciated.

Here is the link to the pdf version of the OED. I think that there is a subscription fee.
http://fds.oup.com/www.oup.com/pdf/online_products/oedflier.pdf

You can also type in "Oxford English Online Dictionary" to access links to look up individual words. AskOxford: Free online dictionary resources from Oxford Univ...

Search the Compact Oxford English Dictionary online; get answers to questions on English, language, grammar, spelling, quotations, and usage; find out about ...

www.askoxford.com/ - 36k - Similar pages

Free online dictionary ... Search Oxford Dictionaries Online AWordFrom Better Writing Global English Online Shop Education Press Room [ More results from www.askoxford.com ]

http://www.askoxford.com/

http://fds.oup.com/www.oup.com/pdf/online_products/oedflier.pdf

Laura,
I am profoundly grateful at this moment that I stumbled into your journey that you have so graciously shared with many over the last 10 years.
I struggle with some of the words and pronunciations, but, I have felt privileged to grasp many concepts through prior exposure to your work, and many more I still have much work to do on.
After having a tough time getting through the first 150 or so pages I am now having a hard time closing it to take care of mundane tasks.
reading and rereading passages so as to try to wrap my limited understanding around concepts that have staggering implications if they be truth, and I feel there is much of that to be found within.
Thank you for the work you have put into this and for your continued climb through what must be mountain ranges of of info and dis info to sort some of it out.
There are many questions, but, I must make dinner first and read some more ;D

Sincerely,
Laurelayn

Back
Top Bottom