Zealots and/or Sicarii, the old ISIS? - Masada

T.C.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Were the Zealots and/or Sicarii used by the Romans the same way the US used ISIS? To create a controlled enemy, help turn public opinion against the Jews, help to start the revolt?

(Added: There is historical writings about certain Roman politicians hiring Sicarii to carry out assassinations of opposition)

When the Romans took Masada back from the Jews, they had to spend months building a massive dirt ramp to fill in the gap around the fort and get to the top. When the Zealots and/or Sicarii took the fort from the Romans years before, were the Romans there told to ‘stand down’ and let them have it? An eventual double cross on the Roman’s part: “You Jews who are in league with us will be safe there and left alone” or something like that?

(Added: While I’m asking about this, I might as well ask if the Jews inside the fort really did kill themselves, or a Jonestown type thing, or did the Roman soldiers just kill them. I don’t know that matters much either way.)

Last edited:
There could certainly be something to what you suggest. But, read "From Paul to Mark" for inside info on Masada and the gang. There, I reference other books about Masada, specifically and particularly, Nachman ben Yehuda

Thanks, Laura. I just started chapter 3 on Josephus last night and can see it’s already getting into details about public attitudes to the Romans just before the war started.

Thank you for the links.

Back
Top Bottom