Zucchini Flatbread (Great to use as wraps/ pizza type base/ taco!)

sarahelizabeth

Padawan Learner
https://hungrycub.wordpress.com/2016/03/16/zucchini-flatbreads-grain-dairy-nut-free/

"Zucchini Flatbreads (makes 6-8 depending on the size you prefer)

2 cups (tightly packed) grated zucchini
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs
2 tbsp coconut flour
1/2 tbsp fine psyllium husk
1 tbsp fresh herbs, finely chopped – optional

Preheat oven to 160’C/320’F. Line two trays with baking paper.
Place the grated zucchini in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the salt, mix together then allow to sit for 5-10 mins (this will draw out excess water). Squeeze the zucchini with clean hands to squish our water. Carefully pour out the water, ensuring not to tip your zucchini down the drain at the same time!
Once you’ve squished out as much water as you can, break the eggs into the bowl and whisk together to combine. Sift in the flour, husk, and herbs (if using). Stir to combine it all nicely. Allow to sit for a minute or so while the coconut flour absorbs the moisture (it should become like a thick muffin mixture consistency (not runny).
Spoon the mixture onto the prepared trays and flatten out into your desired size at approx 1/2cm thick (I like to make most of mine about 15cm in diameter, and a couple in a smaller size for our smaller handed lass).
Bake in the oven for 10-15mins or until the edges begin to turn a slight golden brown in colour. Remove from the oven, cool on a wire rack.
Serve and fill with whatever takes your fancy"

Mine made about 4, I probably could have spread this out more though.

The first batch I filled with Mexican spiced chicken to have a taco type scenario with baby spinach, avocado, homemade garlic aioli & homemade tomato salsa.

The second batch I used for sausages! Sausage in bread! Yum!

Total batch break down:
Coconut Flour - 8g Carbs (brand dependant), 2g Protein, 2g Fat
Zucchini - 10g Carbs, 3gms Protein
Eggs x 4 - 2g Carbs, 26g Protein, 20g Fat
Psyllium Husk - 4g Carbs

Carbs - 24g
Protein - 31g
Fat - 22g

If you're intolerant to coconut I'm sure you could replace it with almond or tapioca flour.

If you're intolerant to knight shade veg, try using carrots instead or any veg of your preference!

This discovery (and many of my staple recipes) is thanks to a Facebook (ugh) group I am apart of called "The Paleo Way Tribe"; a group started and managed predominantly by the Australian Chef and Paleo advocate Pete Evans and his cohort, including Nora Gedgaudas.

The group are doing wonders here in Australia (even with the massive slander they receive in the mainstream media). The administrators regularly chime in for Q&A sessions where you can access a wealth of knowledge.

I did ask Nora's opinion on Xylitol and she mentioned she believed there were other "better" substitutes, however she didn't offer any suggestion. I went looking for said substitutes and found Green Leaf Stevia, which I regrettably purchased..

If I'd wanted green tea with sugar, then this is perfect. Thanks for the input Nora, but I'll stick with Xylitol :P

Back
Top Bottom