Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

Dylan said:
Yes, I am going to sorrowfully finish this last bag of cashews and be done with them. Weight is not a big concern for me as I'm a professional tree climber, but finding the right diet to fuel my body and mind is! The keto diet is fairly difficult to transition to, but on the days I've been a good boy at breakfast and go to work with a belly full of fats and proteins I definitely notice being more energetic and sharp, so to speak. Being a guy who makes a living with sharp steel tools, it is important for my mind to be honed as well!

It shouldn't be that difficult to transition - though the full adaptation takes some longer than others (up to a couple of months). Just stick to the knowledge accumulated here. If you can pull it off, try intermittent fasting by having 2 meals a day with 14 to 18 hours without eating. Get the fat to protein ration right (as you can handle it while adjusting) shooting for about 80% of daily calories in healthy fats, and net carbs (not counting fiber) below 20 to 25 grams max should put you on track. Once fully keto adapted, it's the easiest way to eat.

Hi everyone!

I started with my keto adaptation four weeks ago. I've done many changes in my diet gradually for past four years and I just wished to share my thoughts and my experiences with you.

-------------

"Quote:

Truth Seeker: Perhaps the Goddess, as you said, created this wide range of diversity in order to support all life as it exists as opposed to just our life? If each life has roughly 3 to 5 things that they can/should eat, that would give all the other lives the opportunity to eat what is natural to them instead of some eating more than others and depriving the others of sustenance afforded to them via nature. Maybe food is really a mirror for the way humans in general use up resources for own selfish purposes as opposed to just taking what we need and let others have their fare share.

End Quote"

--------------

I’ve always had that thought that the food is a very important factor in our lives and our mouth is not a garbage can in which we can dump anything we come across looking as a "food”. That doesn’t mean that my family and I were eating what we were suppose to eat… I cooked our food, I baked our sweets, even our own bread, and I never allowed having sodas in our fridge. I used to tell my children that the fast food is not “the food”. It was a “fun food”, which they were allowed to eat only on birthday parties including sodas.

Then, SOTT began publishing articles about human food, established “food pyramid”, polyunsaturated fats, gluten, dairy, legumes, etc. This made me think.

I vividly remember my summer vacations spent with my maternal grandparents and the rest of family members who, unlike my mother, had never left their birthplace and had built their own houses around my grandfather’s, on the land he gave them. I would spend my days going from one household to other and would eat and sleep where I’d found myself at mealtime or sleeping time. Even though there were much less diverse and much simpler dishes, I liked my grandmother’s meals the most.

My grandparents raised chickens in their courtyard, behind the house they had a small stable where they kept a cow and a donkey, and every year they would buy a few piglets and raised them until November. My grandfather was a honeybee breeder and had quite a few beehives. They had a small vegetable garden in front of the house, a fig tree, a carob tree, a quince tree, and wild pomegranate tree. They had a vineyard on the piece of land far away from their house, on the small riverbank. They use to go there to work on the land with their donkey. They also grew tobacco there, and some corn, melons and cantaloupes, and there was a walnut tree (my grand mother use to make green-walnut liqueur which was used for digestion and stomach problems in general). My grandfather use to fish on the the river and that would be a dinner for the day. They ate what they produced, but only in the summertime there was abundance of the food (fruits & vegetables), which they would then share with their neighbours. Meat and eggs, though, they never had in large quantities. Even though it was considered the most fulfilling it was too expensive for them, it was the luxurious food for them. They had chickens, but they never had them as much as would be needed to produce that many eggs the household would need for a week. To make a cake out of ten eggs was considered extreme luxury and it was done only for the weddings, or christening, or for Christmas (not a cake though but simple lard and butter cookies with walnuts). I don’t remember my grandparents drinking the milk from their cow but I do remember her milking the cow and making her homemade butter and kefir. My grandmother mainly cooked on her lard and only occasionally, when she would run out of it, she would buy the oil from the store. My grandfather use to tell us his life stories and experiences and one of those was a story about the tobacco and the flour

Hi, Paulo, interesting reminiscence so far about your family's foodways. So you're saying your family didn't eat much meat? How did you feel about your diet, growing up?

paulo said:
Hi everyone!

I started with my keto adaptation four weeks ago. I've done many changes in my diet gradually for past four years and I just wished to share my thoughts and my experiences with you.

Very interesting childhood there paulo! What is your diet like now?

Hi Kalibex & Jay, I'm sorry, I've never done blogging before and am still learning how to post... When I clicked on the preview button it showed the entire text, but I didn't check it again when I posted and I realize now that more than half of it got cut off. :huh:
My grandparents didn't eat much meat/fat, not because they didn't want, but they simply didn't have enough (produced on their own). They ate only that what they had produced, apart from the wheat (only one loaf of bread per weak for the family), salt, and in their last years occasionally the oil for cooking. They mostly cooked their food, very rarely they would fry something, on Sundays they always had baked potatoes with roasted meat, they never ate sweets and they cooked almost exclusively on lard. Their meals were very simple. Their children's diet though changed when they got their own families, they conveniently started buying their food much more than producing on their own. The thing is that their health condition during their lives, especially in their senior years, was much different than it was for my grandparents.

Here is the second part of the story:

My grandfather use to tell us his life stories and experiences and one of those was a story about the tobacco and the flour :). Well, my grandparents lived in the karst area that is not particularly rich in fertile soil, it was good for the tobacco production but not for the wheat. My grandfather would put the bags of tobacco and some honey jars on his donkey and walked along on foot over the hills for three days to get to the city that was important trade port of the region at the time. He would exchange his tobacco sacks and honey jars with a sack of flour and a sack of salt. One sack of flour or salt was very expensive. They would make big round loaf of sourdough bread once a week that would last for the whole week. At the time when I was a kid the flour, salt, and occasionally the oil were the only foods they would buy. My grandmother’s dishes were very simple with small variations, nevertheless, very tasty and I had never got tired of it. She continued buying her unrefined flour by sack and making one loaf of bread that would last for the whole week. I never saw her eating sweets and the only sugar she would consume, in her later years though, was one cube of sugar in her morning turkish coffee. Every morning, while having her coffee, she would religiously open her tobacco case and slowly pulling the paper and some tobacco out start rolling her cigar. That was a time for her to prepare all the ingredients for the stew she needed for the day. She would take whatever vegetables she had available, wash and cut in small pieces, put them in the pot along with some small pieces of meat, few spoons of lard, cover with water, add some salt, cover it with the lid and let cook on a very low flame for a very long time. In the wintertime this dish would be even tastier since she would cook it on her old wood stove. I never saw my grandfather smoking, but he liked his own homemade grappa; he would take one sip at the time along a very small amount of food he would eat during a day.

My grandparents past away when I was in my early twenties, my grandfather in his ninety-fifth year, and my grandmother, a year after him, in her ninetieth year. They had a skinny physical constitution for as long as I had known them. They both never saw the doctor in their lives and, apart from the asthma he had developed in his eighties and the low blood pressure and anemia she had developed in her last years, they were healthy people. They both passed quietly, they felt it when the time arrived for them, they slowly stopped eating but took only sips of water and they took their time to say Goodbye to everyone before closing their eyes.

Their children though, in adult years with their own families, had adjusted their diet. The bread they had eaten at their parents home had a sour taste and the one they could buy around the corner was much softer and testier, the flour in the store was beautifully white and smooth and all sorts of cakes, cookies and sweets they could now make with it were delicious, the oil became much more convenient for them to use for cooking, along with many other new food inventions they were now able to buy in the store. They all had their own jobs and were paid a regular salary they could use to buy anything they needed or wanted. I don’t know if their diet is direct cause for the deterioration of their physical & mental state in their senior years… I tend to think it was a combination of more factors, but food being the major one. Only three of them are left now, including my mother who is eighty years old. Three, out of four, her siblings who passed away in their eighties had developed dementia and Alzheimer’s, and the forth one died from heart failure in his seventies. They passed away without even knowing they were leaving, forget about saying goodbye to all those they loved and lived with in their lives. The healthiest of them all is their youngest sister who had never married, had lived with her parents and had taken care of them. In her seventies now, she is mentally and physically healthy and active; still working in her garden, and is very active in their local church.

Inspired by the health/diet discussions on this forum as much as by Gedgaudas’s book “Primal body, Primal Mind” and her advices for the practical application, I started making lots of changes in my diet back in 2011. I cut off gluten & all dairy products although, like members of this forum, I started using buckwheat instead of wheat – I just felt I needed something that would fill my stomach. Right from the beginning, I started loosing my weight, the cellulite I had ever since my teenage years was slowly disappearing, my periodontal problems slightly meliorated – much less gum bleeding, and more importantly, very soon I noticed that my life long depression was gradually diminishing. The only downfall of my new diet was drastic loss of weight. I have never been fat or skinny, rather somewhere in between. My usual size was 4 and when I’d gain some weight I’d go to size 6.

Paleo diet reminded me a lot of my grandparent’s diet and it made so much sense to me. However, they ate nightshades, of course only when it was the season for them, potatoes were staple in their diet, they didn’t eat lot of legumes though - very little quantity of beans. Basically, they ate mostly their own vegetables grown in their garden in the very healthy soil rich with minerals, usually accompanied with very small pieces of meat, their lard that was precious because they didn’t have large quantities available, some butter & kefir made of their own milk, some fish from the nearby river, some eggs from their chickens, and seasonal fruits produced on their own land.

Ever since I started with my diet changes I’d occasionally tried to test reintroducing this or that, even sometimes the wheat. Unlike other, the wheat was the one on which my body would instantly react, my gums would sore around my teeth and would start bleeding. The moment I’d stop consuming wheat/gluten, the bleeding would significantly diminish. That was finally definite and a big reason for me to stick with the diet and never go back to the old. Reading about carbs/sugar, I also decided to get rid of very starchy vegetables, the main one being potato – my big love. This was the hardest one for me ‘cause I really love potatoes. Still, the only problem I had with all this was my weight. I dropped down to size 2 (have never been size 2 before, not even as teenager), my weight dropped from some 65kg to 55kg, with my stomach glued to my spine :(. As a teenager I weighted something about 58kg… When I would try to add mashed potatoes to my meals thinking that it might help me with the weight increase, it did but slightly though, just enough to unglue my stomach from the spine.

I was somewhat reluctant to start with keto diet. At first glance it just didn’t look right to me. But reading more and more material on the subject as well as recounts of the forum members’ personal experiences made me think – less meat and more fat actually makes a lot of sense! And indeed, it does!

I started with my keto adaptation on 01/01/15 and in 4 weeks now I gained 1kg :lol:. Well, I suspect that the reason for my weight gain is partially the constipation I’m having in my first weeks still, I'm convinced that the FAT plays the mayor role!

This time I’ve done better research on the veggies, the ones with the least carbs plus the ones with soluble fibers as oppose to those with insoluble fibers. I made my list of veggies I’d consume as well as measured the quantity, based on carb/protein/fat content, that would be allowed per meal for each of them. I’ve already had my list of meats I ate that is completely in accord with those that are preferable for the keto diet = meats around bones with lots of fat plus organ meats, and some ground meat mixture. I made my list of meats with fat/protein/carb measurements per pound for each one.

I made my calculation for fat – protein ratio 4:1 for my ideal weight (the books say that for my age/height it’d be 58kg, but I’d rather aim for 60kg) with 0.8g proteins per kg of my 60kg weight.

-----------------

It took me quite some time to go through both threads, Life without bread & Ketogenic Diet – Path to Transformation?, but the information found here has been extremely helpful in the process. Since I've spent quite some time in collecting and sorting out the information found here, I thought, it may be of use to someone else. Here is then, let's call it, my diary of what I have done in the process:

I started with my keto adaptation on January 1, 2015. The list and calculations for vegetables and meats I would use in my meals I already had prepared before beginning with my diet.

I first wanted to find out what vegetables I could use to make well-balanced meals for both taste and carb/protein/fat ratio per meal.n

Following the list of low carb vegetables in the link provided by a member of the forum,

_ http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/low-carb-vegetables.html,

I chose those that I might be able use for my meals:

“These serving sizes of vegetables have about 5 grams of net carbs (carb minus the fiber) or less”:

1 cup bok choy (< 1 net carb)

1 cup lettuce (< 1 net carb)

1 cup of mixed greens (< 1 net carb)

1/2 cup raw radishes (< 1 net carb)

5 green olives (< 1 net carb)

1 stalk raw celery (1 net carb)

1 clove raw garlic (1 net carb)

1 cup raw spinach (1 net carb)

1 cup steamed spinach (2.2 net carb)

1 cup cooked spinach (3 net carbs)

1 cup cauliflower (2 carbs)

1 cup raw mushrooms (2 net carbs)

1 cup raw shredded cabbage (2 net carbs)

1/2 medium cucumber (3 net carbs)

1 cup turnip greens, cooked (3 net carbs)

1 ounce raw shallots (3 net carbs)

1/4 cup raw onions (3 net carbs)

1 cup raw broccoli (2 net carbs)

1 cup cooked broccoli (4 net carbs)

1 medium raw carrot (4 net carbs)

1 cup raw summer squash (4 net carbs)

1 cup cooked summer squash (5 net carbs)

1/2 avocado (1.87 net carbs) + 10g fat

Plus vegetables with more than 5 carbs:

1 cup winter squash (acorn, butternut, hubbard, spaghetti) (9 net carbs)
------------------------------

From the following list, again in the link provided by a member of the forum, I could find out with which it vegetables from my list above I should be more careful,

-------------------------------

_http://chriskresser.com/got-digestive-problems-take-it-easy-on-the-veggies:

“Quote:

Vegetables (as well as some fruits) are often high in insoluble fiber. While soluble fiber can be soothing for the gut, consuming large amounts of insoluble fiber when your gut is inflamed is a little bit like rubbing a wire brush against an open wound. Ouch.

Vegetables that are high in insoluble fiber include:

• Greens (spinach, lettuce, kale, mesclun, collards, arugula, watercress, etc.)

• Whole peas, snow peas, snap peas, pea pods

• Green beans

• Kernel corn

• Bell peppers

• Eggplant

• Celery

• Onions, shallots, leeks, scallions, garlic

• Cabbage, bok choy, Brussels sprouts

• Broccoli

• Cauliflower

The vegetables that are high in soluble fiber, but lower in insoluble fiber (and thus tend to be safer for those with gut issues) include:

• Carrots

• Winter squash

• Summer squash (especially peeled)

• Starchy tubers (yams, sweet potatoes, potatoes)

• Turnips

• Rutabagas

• Parsnips

• Beets

• Plantains

• Taro

• Yuca

End Quote"

And so, I adjusted my list, I marked in red color those that are high in insoluble fiber:

1 cup bok choy (< 1 net carb)

1 cup lettuce (< 1 net carb)

1 cup of mixed greens (< 1 net carb)

1/2 cup raw radishes (< 1 net carb)

5 green olives (< 1 net carb)

[color=red]1 stalk raw celery (1 net carb)

1 clove raw garlic (1 net carb)

1 cup raw spinach (1 net carb)

1 cup steamed spinach (2.2 net carb)

1 cup cooked spinach (3 net carbs)

1 cup cauliflower (2 carbs)
[/color]

1 cup raw mushrooms (2 net carbs)

1/2 medium cucumber (3 net carbs)

1 cup turnip greens, cooked (3 net carbs)

1 ounce raw shallots (3 net carbs)

1/4 cup raw onions (3 net carbs)

1 cup raw broccoli (2 net carbs)

1 cup cooked broccoli (4 net carbs)

1 medium raw carrot (4 net carbs)

1 cup raw summer squash (4 net carbs)

1 cup cooked summer squash (5 net carbs)

1/2 avocado (1.87 net carbs) + 10g fat

& more than 5 carbs:

1 cup winter squash (acorn, butternut, hubbard, spaghetti) (9 net carbs)

End Quote"

--------------------------------

I was then able to make my final list of vegetables I would use for my meals, of course depending on the season.

My final list of vegetables:

mushrooms,

avocado,

green olives,

carrots,

turnip greens,

raw radishes,

Lettuce,

cucumber,

summer squash,

and winter squash in smaller quantities

onions & garlic are vegetables high in insoluble fiber, therefore I will use them only cooked.

Back in 2011, when I started making changes in my diet, I found a certified organic farm where I started buying all my vegetables including my eggs. I had also found, together with some other families, farmers raising grass fed cows, sheep, pigs, and chickens. They are now delivering meat to us on the monthly bases. Their butcher makes small packages of each cut, around 1lb each, which makes it easy for the protein calculation.

For meats & eggs protein calculation, I again used the guideline from the link provided by a member of the forum:

-----------------------------

_http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/highproteinfood.htm:

Grams of protein per ounce:

Beef

• Hamburger patty, 4 oz – 28 grams protein

• Steak, 6 oz – 42 grams

• Most cuts of beef – 7 grams of protein per ounce

Pork

• Pork chop, average – 22 grams protein

• Pork loin or tenderloin, 4 oz – 29 grams

• Ham, 3 oz serving – 19 grams

• Ground pork, 1 oz raw – 5 grams; 3 oz cooked – 22 grams

• Bacon, 1 slice – 3 grams

Fish

• Most fish fillets or steaks are about 22 grams of protein for 3 ½ oz (100 grams) of cooked fish, or 6 grams per ounce

• Tuna, 6 oz can – 40 grams of protein

Eggs and Dairy

• Egg, large – 6 grams protein

---------------------------------------------

Another link that I used for the protein calculation:

Protein Content Based on a 3-ounce Serving

_https://books.google.com/books?id=SNtrAwAAQBAJ&pg=PT302&lpg=PT302&dq=•%09Duck+%28roasted%29:+24+g&source=bl&ots=oIU0Ala9EU&sig=41r1QaS-6ExhFuAzBDlgoQcbdRE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=BHO-VKTrAsGcNo6UhOAM&ved=0CFYQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=•%09Duck%20(roasted)%3A%2024%20g&f=false

- From Nora Gedgaudas PMPB book.

“Most animal protein sources have about 7 grams of protein per ounce, so this example range works out to range of about

6.5 ounces – 9.7 ounces of meat, fish or poultry each day.”

“Shortcut: An ounce of meat or fish has approximately 7 grams of protein if cooked, and about 6 grams if raw.”

“A 3-ounce piece of meat is roughly the size of a deck of cards.”

[b]My list of meat cuts has already been the one that is totally in accordance with the keto diet:
[/b]

* 1lb pork spare ribs = 16oz X 6g = 96g protein

* fresh bacon sliced - 1 slice of baked bacon = about 2g of protein and 3g fat

* pork chops – Pork chop, average = 22 grams protein

* 1lb pork back fat = (total fat 402g + protein 13.2g + Vitamin A 68IU + Potassium 295mg = Phosphorus 172mg + Sodium 49mg + Selenium 36mg + Choline 69mg)

* 1lb pork liver = 16oz X 6g protein = 96g protein

carbs 11.2g + fats 16g + (Vitamin A 121% + Vitamin B12 121% + Iron 36% + Selenium 21% + Vitamin C 12% …)

* 1 pork kidney (233g) = 7.6g fat + 38.3g protein + 0g carbs + (52% Vitamin C, 9% Vitamin A, 233% Riboflavin, 96% Niacin + 52% Vitamin B6 + 330% B12 + 63% Iron + 2% Calcium + 48% Potassium + 43% Zinc + 72% Copper + 632% Selenium)

* 1lb oxtail =16oz X 6 = 96g

* 1lb beef cheek meat = 16oz X 6.5g = 104g

* 1lb shank meat = 16oz x 6g = 96g

(Most cuts of cooked beef – 7g of protein per ounce; raw 6g protein)

* 1lb beef ground meat = 16oz X 6g = 96g (4oz cooked – 28g protein)

* 1lb pork ground meat = 16oz x 5g = 80g

(Ground pork, 1 oz raw – 5 grams; 3 oz cooked – 22 grams)

* 1lb mutton ground meat = about 85g protein

* beef bones = Amounts per 100 grams (3.5oz) = total fat 7.4g + protein 11.3g + Vitamins 0 + Minerals (sodium 145mg & iron 1.3mg)

* 1lb pork trotters = Total Fat 45.4g (Saturated 13.4g, monounsaturated 25.7g, polyunsaturated 3.6g, Omega 3 127mg, Omega 6 3061mg)

All of meats above are the cheapest cuts. I am lucky because all other families involved in our meat share are not interested in them but rather in those most expensive ones, like steaks, roast meat, etc…

As for fish, a good source for salmon is very expensive and I don’t buy it. I have a source for fresh wild caught branzino imported from Greece, and fresh wild caught sardines imported from Portugal. I buy them once a week when they are getting delivery from the airport so it's always fresh which then we eat some the first day and the rest we store in freezer.

FISH

1 Whole Branzino - Steamed, Grilled, Poached (Whole) = protein 96g + fat 27g + carbs 2g

¼ Branzino = 6.75g Fat + 24g Protein + 0.5g Carbs – this is my portion per meal + 3 TBSP butter on the plate (42,57g fat)

Preparation:

Stuff the whole fish with 1/4 sliced medium onion (this helps keep the fish moist from the inside). Cover the baking pan with aluminum foil and place the fish on it. Slice 2TBSP butter in pieces and place them underneath the fish. Season the whole fish with salt and put in the preheated oven to bake on 350F for about 15 minutes. The fish is cooked when you touch the flesh with your finger and it leaves the mark. Take the pan out and put in the broiler for just another minute or two, until the skin becomes crispy. Once you get a hand on it, it's delicious and the quickest meal you can prepare, and you almost get the same result as if it was prepared on the real grill.

1 Small Sardine = protein 3g + fat 1.4g + carbs 0g (Great source for Vitamin B-12 18%)

Preparation:

For deep frying the fish, dry it out with a paper towel. Melt a few TBSP of lard in the frying pan and deep fry the sardines. I like them to be a little on the crispy side, but also still soft from the inside. When done, transfer on the plate, and season with salt. Eating while still warm is the best.

------------------------------

I usually use 1lb of meat to make a dish that will then be used for several individual meals (usually 5 servings). For example, if I make a stew with cheek meat (very lean meat) then:

BEEF CHEEK MEAT STEW WITH SAUTÉ MUSHROOMS
Total per Serving = Beef Cheek Meat (21.28g protein + 13g fat + 16.2g carbs) + Mushrooms (46.47g fat + 2.1g carbs + 1.1g protein) =
22.38g protein + 59.47g fat + 18.3g carbs Total Per Serving

Beef Cheek Meat Stew (5 Servings)
Ingredients:
* 1lb beef cheek meat = 16oz X 6.5g protein = 104g protein
(In case you're using shank meat, oxtail, or any other meat around the bone, the calculation would be: 16 X 6 = 96g protein / 4 Servings = 24g protein Per Serving; meaning, allowing bigger portion per serving, 4 servings instead of 5.)
* 2 medium size onion chopped in food processor = 16.2g carbs + 2.4g protein + 0.2g fat
3TBSP lard = 13g fat X 3 = 39g fat
Total: (106.4g protein + 16.2g carbs + 39g fat) / 5 Servings =

Total per Serving = 21.28g protein + 13g fat + 16.2g carbs

Preparation:
1. Add 3TBSP of lard to a pan and lightly sauté the meat cut in dices. When it's done transfer the meat on the plate.
2. Mix onions with one cup of water salt and pepper and sauté in fat left from the meat in pan until onion is cooked. When it's done pour the mixture in dutch oven, including the fat from frying, place the meat on top, cover with water, add salt and pepper to taste, bring to boil. Since cheek meat is lean meat, I would add a few extra TBSP of lard, cover and put in preheated oven to cook on low temperature until the meat becomes very tender.
One pound of lean meat makes 5 servings - 21.28g protein per serving.

Along with this dish I would usually have some mashed potatoes or mushrooms before. I'm still allowed to have some mushrooms now:

Sauté Mushrooms (1 Serving)
Ingredients:
* 1cup sliced mushrooms = 0.3g fat + 1.6g carbs + 0.8g protein
* 3TBSP butter = 42.57g fat
* 2TBSP coconut milk = 3.6g fat + 0.5g carbs + 0.3g protein
Total per Serving = 46.47g fat + 2.1g carbs + 1.1g protein

Preparation:
1. On low flame sauté sliced mushrooms in butter in a pan covered with lid, util it's softened (a minute or two).
2. Uncover, add coconut milk, mix well, add salt and pepper to taste, mix a bit again, and transfer to your plate with cheek meat stew.
And my total count for protein/ fat for entire dish per serving will be:
Total per Serving = (21.28g protein + 13g fat + 16.2g carbs) + (46.47g fat + 2.1g carbs + 1.1g protein) =
22.38g protein + 59.47g fat + 18.3g carbs, Per Serving - the protein/fat ratio is good as well as the amount of protein allowed per meal.

Or, if I want to make hamburgers, I'd take:

HAMBURGER WITH SAUERKRAUT SALAD
Total Per Serving = ( 21.16g protein + 0.15g fat + 6.2g carbs ) + 3TBSP (42.57g fat) butter + (0.3g fat + 2.2g protein + 3g carbs) =
23.36g protein + 43.02g fat+ 9.2g carbs, Per Serving

Hamburger (5 Servings)
Ingredients:
* 1lb ground beef meat = 16oz X 6.5g protein = 104g protein
* 1 medium onion = 8.1g carbs + 1.2g protein + 0.1g fat
* 1 medium carrot = 0.2g fat + 4.3g carbs + 0.6g protein
Total: (105.8g protein + 0.3g fat + 12.4g carbs) / 5 servings =
Total Per Serving = 21.16g protein + 0.15g fat + 6.2g carbs
Since there is very little fat in this hamburger, if I add 3TBSP (42.57g fat) butter to the plate while eating, that will make a good protein/fat ratio, 21.16g protein/42.72g fat, roughly twice as much fat.

Preparation:
1. Mix ground meat with onion and carrot chopped in food processor. Add salt and pepper to taste and mix it all thoroughly.
2. This is lean meat (1lb 104g protein) and, depending on your protein allowance, you can divide it in 4 or 5 equal hamburgers.
3. Fry your hamburgers in lots of lard and eat one per meal.
With 1lb lean meat I always divide in 5 servings (21.16g protein). My protein allowance per meal is 24g protein which allows me to still add a small side dish which will usually add some extra amount of protein.
I like to eat my hamburger & about 3TBSP butter with 1cup sauerkraut salad - chopped sauerkraut sprinkled with olive oil, some fat left from frying hamburgers, and salt & pepper to taste.
Amount per 1cup undrained chopped sauerkraut (236g) = 0.3g fat + 2.2g protein + 3g carbs Per Serving
In this case my Total Count Per Serving for the entire meal will be:
23.36g protein + 43.02g fat+ 9.2g carbs.
If I eat my hamburger with butter and bacon, that would give me better protein/fat ratio. But I like to have a little amount of carbs (never exceeding allowed amount) with my meat and I then compensate the fat by drinking buttered tea before or afterwards.

It's really necessary to calculate initially, but later on one gets a hand on it and is able to measure and combine by eye
To make it easier, I’ve prepared
fat/protein/carb calculation for the ingredients I’ll be using for my meals:

LARD

1TBSP lard (13g) = total fat13g

1 Large EGG YOLK = 0.6g carb, + 2.7g protein + 4.5g fat

Laura: “You don't want to "replace the eggs" unless you are allergic. Getting plenty of egg yolks into the body (ditch the whites) is a primary objective for feeding the brain!!!”

------------

1 Large EGG WHITE = 0.2g carb + 3.6g protein + 0.1g fat

"Quote:

wiki _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biotin_deficiency

Biotin deficiency is a rare nutritional disorder which can become serious, even fatal, if allowed to progress untreated. It can occur in people of any age, ancestry, or gender. Biotin is part of the B vitamin family. Biotin deficiency rarely occurs among healthy people because the daily requirement of biotin is low, many foods provide adequate amounts of it, intestinal bacteria synthesize small amounts of it, and the body effectively scavenges and recycles it from bodily waste. However, deficiencies can be caused by consuming raw egg whites over a period of months to years. Egg whites contain high levels of avidin, a protein that binds biotin strongly. When cooked, avidin is partially denatured and binding to biotin is reduced.

End Quote"

--------------------l

AVOCADO

Amount Per 1 fruit without skin & seed (136 g)
= 3g carbs + 2.9g protein + 21g fat

(Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 24%, Vitamin B-6 20%, Iron 4%, Calcium 1%, Magnesium 10%)

SAUERKRAUT

Amount Per 1 cup, undrained (236 g)
= 0.3g fat + 2.2 protein + 3 carbs

(Vitamin C 57%, Vitamin B-6 15%, Iron 19%, Calcium 7%, Magnesium 7%)

ONION

1 medium size = 8,1g carbs + 1.2g protein + 0.1g fat

Vitamin C 13%. Vitamin B-6 5%, Iron 1%, Calcium 2%, Magnesium 2%

CARROTS

Amount Per 1 medium (61 g)
= 0.2g fat + 4.3g carbs + 0.6g protein

(Vitamin A 203%, Vitamin C 6%, Vitamin B-6 5%, Calcium 2%, Iron 1%, Magnesium 1%)

MUSHROOMS

Amount Per 1 cup (54 g)
 = 0.3g fat + 1.6g carbs + 0.8g protein

(Vitamin D 28%, Iron 10%, Magnesium 1%)

Gaby: “Mushrooms are pretty good because they are very low carb, but if you have histamine problems (i.e. itchy rashes), then they're best avoided because it makes those problems worse. They're also generally discouraged if there are fungal infections."

------------------------

COCOA – Serving Size 1TBSP (5g)

total fat 1g + net carbs 1g + protein 1g

COCONUT MILK – Serving Size 1cup (240g)

total fat 57g + net carbs 8g + protein 5g

XYLITOL

1 Tea spoon = 4 carbs

VANILLA BEAN POWDER – Serving Size 1TBSP (7g)

Net carbs 3g carbs + 0g fat + 0g protein + some 5% calcium + 2% iron

1TSP (5g)

-----------------------------------------------------

1CUP HOT CHOCOLATE

1cup coconut milk (total fat 57g + net carbs 8g + protein 5g) + 1TBSP cocoa (total fat 1g + net carbs 1g + protein 1g) + 1 tea spoon xylitol (4carbs)

TOTAL: 58g fat + 6g protein + 13g carbs Per Serving

CHOCOGELATIN”

(A recipe by Yas, my absolute favorite “desert”)

2 cups beef broth (47.5g protein + 25g fat) + 4TBSP lard (52g fat)

2TBSP butter (28.38g fat)

2TBSP organic cocoa (2g protein + 2g fat + 2g carbs)

2 egg yolk (5.4g protein + 9g fat + 0.6g carbs)

3 (or more/less, depending on taste) tea spoons xylitol (12g carbs)

cinnamon

TOTAL = 55.1g protein + 116,38fat +14.6 carbs / 3 servings =

18.37g protein 38.79g fat + 4.87g carbs, Per Serving - This is a good protein/fat ratio for me and works well for one full meal.

1CUP (250g) BEEF BONE BROTH

23.75g protein + 12.5g fat

beef bones (raw) = Amounts per 100 grams (3.5oz) = total fat 7.4g + protein 11.3g

FAT BOMB

12 egg yolks = 7.2g carbs + 32.4g protein + 54g fat

1 can 13.5oz (398ml) coconut milk = 93g fat + 14g net carbs + 8g protein

250g butter or lard = 250g lard = 250g fat

1cup coconut oil (218g) = 189 fat Or 1cup lard (205g) = 205g fat

2TBSP cocoa = net carbs 2g + protein 2g + total fat 2g

6 tea spoons xylitol = 24 carbs

vanilla

TOTAL: (588g fat + 42.4g protein + 47.2g carbs) / 5 servings =

117.6g fat + 8.48g protein + 9.44g carbs, Total Per Serving

or

(588g fat + 42.4g protein + 47.2g carbs) / 6 Servings =

98g fat + 7.07g protein + 7.87g carbs, Total Per Serving

(My fat requirement per day is 85.33g; in 1/6 of the 12 eggs fat bomb, it’s a real fat bomb!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------==

So what is my calorie ratio per day based on my ideal weight?

“75 to 85% of your daily calories as fat, and never eat more than 25 to 30 grams of net carbs (i.e. not counting fiber) daily - arbslower is even better”

"Quote;

Gaby: Yeah, Gedgaudas' numbers are based on Ron Rosedale's longevity research. It is 0.8 grams of protein per kilo of ideal weight. This longevity research points to excess protein as a cause of aging markers. So Rosedale insists on increasing fat intake and restrict (moderately) the protein intake. For him 45 grams at once might be a little bit too much. But we have to keep in mind that this is not a hard core proven formula. He worked (and works) with people afflicted of metabolic syndrome and other diseases.

If a person is young and/or relatively active, the numbers might not strictly apply. Also, at the beginning, some people might suffer unnecessarily if they limit a lot their protein intake.

Volek and other paleo bloggers (Mark Sisson comes to mind) recommend much more protein per kilo, like the keto calculator quoted above. Something around 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per kilo. These researchers have studied and/or reviewed material for athletes and so forth…

End Quote"

-----------------

My ideal body weight should be 58kg, but I’m aiming for 60kg; 0.8 gram of protein per kilo if lightly active works for me; and the fat/protein ratio 4 : 1.

“The 4:1 ratio is measured in calories, not grams. Fat is 9 calories per gram, protein is 4 calories per gram”

My calculation then would be:

60kg X 0.8g protein = 48g protein/day X 4 X 4 / 9 =

85.33g fat/day

48g protein/day X 4 calories per gram protein =

232 protein calories per day

with fat/protein ratio 4 : 1;

232 protein calorie per day X 4 = 928 fat calories per day

Total Calories per day 1,160

“… How does this translate into food? Most animal protein sources have about 7 grams of protein per ounce, so this example range works out to range of about 6.5 ounces – 9.7 ounces of meat, fish or poultry each day. (Note = there are 28 grams in an ounce; the balance of grams are mostly from fat and water.)”

According to my calculation I should consume not more than 48g protein per day, which divided into two meals/day would be 24g proteins per meal.

Which means:

7g of protein in 1oz (28g) of meat

not more than 24g of protein per meal = 3.43oz (97g) of meat

“A 3-ounce piece of meat is roughly the size of a deck of cards.”

And my total amount of fat per day should be 85.33g fat/day.

To find out how this translate into food I used butter stick for the measurement:

113.5g (1stick of butter) / 8TBSP =

14.19g in 1TBSP

85.33g fat/day = 85.33g / 14.19g = 6TBSP total fat in butter

And if I want to know how that translates into lard, which I prefer since I know where it’s coming from:

13g = 1TBSP lard

85.33g fat/day = 85.33g / 13g = 6.66TBSP total fat in lard

So, one butter stick has 8TBSP (113.5g), my fat requirement per day should be 85.33g which is 6TBSP of butter, or 6.56TBSP of lard.

Here are some handy measurements:

1/4lb s 8TBSP (1 stick of butter)

1/4lb = ½ cup

1lb = 2 cups

1lb = 454g

454g : 4 = 113.5g (1 stick of butter) : 8 = 14.19g in 1TBSP

“Remember fat is 9 calories per gram and protein and carbs are only 4 per gram. Eating double the weight of fat versus protein seems to be close to what is needed. Eating more fat than needed is ok as long as you can digest it.”

[b]And finally, my first day going into keto adaptation was January 1, 2015. [/b]

The following article was very helpful for my initial attempt:

_http://www.ketotic.org/2012/05/keto-adaptation-what-it-is-and-how-to.html

”Quote:

How to make keto-adaptation as quick and painless as possible

In brief:

• Carbohydrate-based fueling is a self-perpetuating cycle: it runs out quickly, and every time you eat more carbs you delay adaptation to fat-burning.

• Fat-based fueling is sustainable, because it allows access to a very large store of energy without you frequently stopping to refuel. Blood sugar is maintained though precise internal processes without wild swings. These two together create a desirable flow of even, stable energy, mood, and alertness.

• There is a delay between first reducing the amount of carbohydrates that you eat, and having a smoothly running fat metabolism. In the intervening days, you may feel slow, or even unwell. These symptoms can be minimized by making sure to eat lots of fat, staying hydrated, and using salt liberally. Other electrolytes may also be helpful to add -- homemade broth makes a good supplement. Keep carbs consistently low, or you will never adapt and the process will go on indefinitely.

… One of the benefits that comes directly from this physiological mechanism is that on a keto diet you will no longer need to eat so often. Skipping a meal does not become an emergency, or even a problem. A lot of people have problems with mood, cognition, and wakefulness if they don't eat frequently. On a keto diet your blood sugar will naturally become steady, and the advice to eat every 3 hours to prevent hypoglycemia will become irrelevant

… When glycogen runs out, you start producing ketones, and some are excreted in the urine. This is easy to measure, and some keto dieters use it to know if they are hitting a low enough level of carbohydrate restriction. This also marks the beginning of the second stage of keto-adaptation. Ketones are now becoming available for fuel, but they haven't yet risen to their stable adapted level. There is an interesting interplay between ketone use in the muscles and the brain. When ketone levels are low, the muscles tend to use them directly for fuel, but as levels increase, the muscles use them less, turning to fat for fuel instead. The brain, on the other hand, uses ketones proportionally to their concentration in the blood. This means that at low levels of ketones, the brain's supply is not much affected, because the muscles intercede, but above some threshold, the brain's supply rapidly becomes much higher. At this point, the brain can rely on ketones, and since it is no longer susceptible to running out of fuel, the need to eat frequently throughout the day to maintain mental function disappears. The muscles in turn now rely on fat: they finally have access to a virtually unlimited supply of energy, which is particularly valuable for athletes.

… As noted above, the difficult part of keto-adaptation is the first stage. There are two reasons. The first is that glucose is less available, but fat and ketone metabolism haven't effectively taken over. The best strategy for coping with this is to eat a lot of fat. Even if you eventually wish to get most of your fat from your fat stores, you do not normally need to restrict it in the diet, and especially not now. Fat is an important source of essential fatty acids and nutrients. Moreover, ingesting fat with protein helps to moderate the insulin response. A keto diet is not a high protein diet, it is a high fat diet. Do not fear it. Eat plenty of fat during keto-adaptation to ensure you have energy available.

The second difficulty is a result of the sodium excretion and transient rapid water loss we mentioned. If care is not taken to replenish sodium and water, both sodium and potassium are sometimes lost too rapidly. This can cause tiredness, weakness, and headaches. Be sure to get enough sodium: about 5 grams per day, or 2 teaspoons of table salt, will help prevent these symptoms.

Adequate potassium may be necessary to preserve lean mass [5], and magnesium deficiency can lead to muscle cramps, as well as fatigue and dizziness. Both of these minerals are abundant in meat, but are easily lost though cooking: into the water, if the meat was boiled, or the drippings otherwise. In addition to taking care to preserve the liquid from meat, acute effects can be cut short through supplementing potassium and magnesium by capsule. We recommend regularly drinking broth.

Finally, keep your dietary carbohydrates low. The worst scenario is to eat some every few days -- you will set yourself back, and be in perpetual limbo. Now is not the time to experiment with your carbohydrate tolerance, or eat foods you aren't sure about the content of. Commit to a very low level of carbohydrate intake, and stay with it consistently for at least long enough to get ketone production in full force. Most people we have talked to, if they experienced any discomfort at all, felt fully functional within 4 or 5 days. However, metabolic changes continue for at least two weeks and often more [6]. We recommend a 30 day trial at near zero levels of carbohydrate, to give yourself a chance to experience a completely keto-adapted state.”

Tools:

• A fancier tool is a _blood ketone meter. It works just like a glucose meter. In fact it doubles as one. This is better than urine testing, because it is more accurate, and it measures actual blood concentration. However, _the test strips are pretty expensive.

End Quote"

----------------------------------------------

Keeping in mind that my daily fat/protein requirement is 85.33g/48g and daily carbs consumption not more then 25 I tried to plan my meals per day. So, here is my first week sample:

------------------------
Day 1

Begins with 1cup of warm water with a tea spoon of himalayan salt

1 cup of green tea with 1TBSP butter (14.19g fat)

Breakfast @ 9:30

1small lamb hamburger (19.56g protein + 2.48g carbs) + 2TBSP butter (28.38g fat)

1 thick slice of fatty bacon (about 2g protein + 3g fat)

½ mashed avocado (with olive oil, salt & pepper) (1.5 net carbs + 1.45g protein +10.5g fat)

Total: 23.01g protein + 56.07g fat + 3.98g carbs

1TBSP of cod liver oil & omega 3 + 5mg Vitamin K2

@ 1pm

1 cup of green tea with 2TBSP butter (28.38g fat)

@ 3pm

1 bawl of beef bone broth (23.75g protein + 12.5g fat)

Before going to sleep

2 capsule 230mg magnesium (citrate/malate)

Day 2

Breakfast/Lunch @ 1pm

1 small lamb hamburger (19.56g protein + 2.48g carbs)

1 slice of thick fatty bacon (2g of protein + 3g of fat)

1 TBSP of pate + few cracklings

1 cup of sliced mushrooms sauté in butter and coconut milk (46.47g fat + 2.1g carbs + 1.1g protein)

@ 1:40pm

Dinner @ 6:30pm

¼ of whole branzino (24g protein + 6.75g fat +0g carbs) with few rings of onion (1g carbs) baked inside the fish with 1TBSP butter (14.19g fat) sprinkled with olive oil

Before going to sleep

Day 3

Breakfast @ 11:30

1 small piece of pork liver fried in lard (6.40g fat + 0.075 protein) sprinkled with salt & pepper

1 cup of chopped sauerkraut (0.3g fat + 2.2g protein + 3g carbs) sprinkled with olive oil and pepper + 1TBSP butter (14.19g fat)

1TBSP pork pate + 1TBSP lard (13g fat)

@ 3pm

½ cup of sauerkraut juice

Dinner @ 6pm

5 sardines (15g protein + 7g fat + 0g carbs) fried in lard

1/2 cup of sliced sauerkraut (0.15g fat + 1.1g protein + 1.5g carbs) sprinkled with olive oil and

Before going to sleep

Day 4

Breakfast @ 9:30

1 small pork hamburger (19.56g protein + 2.48g carbs) with 2 ½ TBSP butter (21.28g fat)

2 TBSP pork pate

1 fried egg (6g protein)

@ 11:35

1 cup of green tea with 1BSP butter (14.19g fat)

@ 2 pm

1 cup of chocogelatin (3.7g protein + 7.6 carbs + 1 cup beef broth + 1TBSP lard (13g fat))

@ 4pm

Before going to sleep

Day 5

Breakfast @ 11:00

1 small piece of pork liver fried in lard (6.40g fat + 0.075 protein) sprinkled with salt & pepper

1 cup of sliced mushrooms sauté in butter and coconut milk (46.47g fat + 2.1g carbs + 1.1g protein)

@12

1/6 of my 12eggs Fat Bomb

98g fat + 7.07g protein + 7.87g carbs = Per Serving

Dinner @ 5:30pm

¼ of whole branzino (24g protein + 6.75g fat +0g carbs) with few rings of onion (1g carbs) baked inside the fish with butter and sprinkled with olive oil on the plate

Before going to sleep

Day 6

Breakfast @ 10:00

2 small sour cabbage head rolls (22.64g protein + 11.77g fat + 1.7g carbs+ sauerkraut) + 3TBSP butter (42.57g fat) on the plate

@12

1 cup of sauerkraut juice

Dinner @ 5:45pm

Small piece of beef liver (14g protein) baked in terrine with a little water and 1 spoon of lard (13g fat) + 2TBSP butter (28.38g fat) on the plate

few leaves of bok choy cooked in 2TBSP of water with some butter (< than 0.5 net carbs)

Before going to sleep

2 capsule 230mg magnesium (citrate/malate

------------------------------------------------------------

Since I missed my meat delivery last month I didn’t have enough beef bones for my broth and only now I’ll be able to have it every day along with my meals.

I started going to gym at least twice a week. I usually do about 40 minutes treadmill along with lightweights in each hand and then some light weight lifting. I take the cold showers that I really enjoy, but am yet not able to stay for longer time under it. I used to finish my shower with cold water even before but only quickly and never entire body, I was afraid thinking it’s not healthy for the body… When I get now into cold shower, after the first shock, I realize how good that is. Instead of feeling sleepy after hot shower, cold shower awakens and energize every cell in my body. I am full of energy, I sleep well, my focus is much better, and I don’t remember when was it the last time I felt depressed (that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t have a reason to be). I don’t know whether I’m in ketosis or not, but I hope I'll soon be able to buy a _blood ketone meter.

After four weeks of established eating regime more or less like one shown above, my only problem so far is constipation. I purposefully tried to avoid taking enzymes and ox bile (trying to save some money), but I guess I'll have to start taking them. I was hoping that magnesium and sauerkraut juice would do the job, and in a way it does especially since I increased the amount of sauerkraut juice daily. I have more regular and less hard stool, but it’s not yet the way it should be.

Laura: "You can also use baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), salt, and xylitol to brush your teeth. In other words don't use any commercial toothpaste preparation at all." - There are several years that I use baking soda for the household cleaning as a replacement for bleach, and I know how good it is, how well it cleans, and how easily takes off all the grease that accumulates in the kitchen throughout the year. Yet, it took me a long time until I finally started using it for my teeth cleaning. After so much information I've gathered through the years, as much as being directly exposed and having experienced the simple lifestyle of my grandparents and its benefits, it still took me a long time to finally get rid of the commercial toothpaste, no matter how "natural and good" it was. It's frightening how our mind works, how easily can it be manipulated, and how difficult the rewiring can be. And I still remember my grandparents using the soap they made out of the fat as the only cleaning product... Ever since I changed my diet, I noticed that my teeth got stained easily. No matter how well I'd brush my teeth with my calendula toothpaste the black layer wouldn't go away. After only one time using a mixture of warm water, baking soda, and salt, everything was simply washed away!!!

I used to have beautiful teeth, but I have developed a serious periodontal problem... My diet change though (gluten being the major but not the only player) has been the single thing that has had a profound effect on the state of my gums. I can't reverse the damage that had been done, but the ketogenic diet in particular is evidently helping my gums in the healing process.

I just started taking Vitamin K2 Menaterenone (5mg), but am little confused whether I should take the Vitamin K supplement or butter oil and fermented cod liver oil, or both, or something else???

"Quote:

Gabby: “…But those of you who are still having gum problems in this diet or calculus build-up regardless of more effective cleaning methods, you might want to try vitamin K2:

... He used butter oil and fermented cod liver oil as supplements which has what Weston Price called the "Activating X" factor that is so healthy for us, but it seems that the benefits are mainly attributed mainly to the Vitamin K2 or Menatetrenone which is an isoform of Vitamin K2.

Vitamin K2, MK-4 is only found in animal products. The best sources known are grass-fed butter from cows eating rapidly growing grass, and foie gras. K2 tends to associate with beta-carotene in butter, so the darker the color, the more K2 it contains (also, the better it tastes). Fish eggs, other grass-fed dairy, shellfish, insects and other organ meats are also good sources. Chris Masterjohn compiled a list of food sources in his excellent article on the Weston Price foundation website. I highly recommend reading it if you want more detail. K2 MK-7 is found abundantly in natto, a type of fermented soybean, and it may be partially converted to MK-4.

Finally, you can also buy K2 supplements. The best one is butter oil, the very same stuff Price used to treat his patients. I have used this one personally, and I noticed positive effects on my skin overnight. Thorne research makes a synthetic liquid K2 MK-4 supplement that is easy to dose drop-wise to get natural amounts of it. Other K2 MK-4 supplements are much more concentrated than what you could get from food so I recommend avoiding them. I am generally against supplements, but I've ordered the Thorne product for a little self-experimentation. I want to see if it has the same effect on my skin as the butter oil (update- it does).”

End Quote"

--------

As far as cravings are concerned, I have none… It’s amazing how little food we need as long as we take the amount of fat that our body needs… Very often I don’t even need my dinner, I just don’t feel hungry.

-------------

_Quote from: Carl on December 05, 2014, 02:29:16 PM

Regarding fat bombs (and mayonnaise), it is my experience that I can eat a LOT because it is so delicious. There is something about the emulsification process, and perhaps the added xylitol, that makes it less satiating, and if I'm not careful I can make myself feel sick. As was mentioned, buttered tea on the other hand does not give such an effect.

---------

I find this to be true for myself as well. The moment I take something that has sweet taste, my body starts craving for more. Buttered tea, IMO, is a great invention :), it just satiate to the point where you don’t need the food at all. I prefer salted butter in my tea rather than sweet though, it just tastes better to me.

When I think about this diet now, I realize that indeed t’s not in any way restricted diet, but rather luxurious diet, as Jeff Volek pointed out in his presentation: The Many Facets of Keto-Adaptation: Health, Performance, and Beyond.

_http://youtu.be/n8BY4fyLvZc?feature=player_detailpage

Even though it’s luxurious, it’s actually much cheaper simply because we need just a little of it to feel fully satiated.

When I look at my list of ingredients I can use to prepare my meals:

My list of vegetables:

mushrooms,

avocado,

green olives,

carrots,

turnip greens,

raw radishes,

cucumber,

summer squash,

and winter squash in smaller quantities

onions & garlic are vegetables high in insoluble fiber, therefore I will use them only cooked

My list of meats:

beef bones

pork spare ribs

fresh bacon sliced

pork chops

pork back fat

trotters

oxtail

beef cheek meat

beef shank meat

animal organs

beef, pork, mutton ground meat

My list of fish:

sardines

branzino

+

Eggs

Butter

Coconut milk

Cocoa

Xylitol

Vanilla beans

+

Supplements:

Cod liver oil

Omega 3

Magnesium

Vitamin C

Vitamin K2

I think of my grandparents and their little “farm”. They were able to produce more than enough fruits and vegetables their household needed, but it was impossible for them to raise that many animals that would give them as much fat and organ meats this diet requires for one year. Raising an animal meant having additional mouth to feed and they had limited food supply available. Lard was precious for them, especially in the winter time when it was the only food that would feel their stomachs and give energy needed. They knew it very well, but they never had it enough and they had to consume it carefully. They ate little: small breakfast, lunch at noon, and small dinner at 5. They ate healthy food, produced on the healthy soil rich with minerals, but they were skinny people because they didn't eat enough FAT. As Nora Gedgaudas pointed out: "A paleo diet is a good starting point, but far from the ultimate diet".

I am lucky at the moment because I have very good source of quality grass fed meats, vegetables and eggs coming directly from certified organic farm, I can also easily order the best organic cocoa, vanilla beans, coconut milk, and butter. This is diet of plenty, quality wise, that is not available to everyone neither will be available to us forever. But, since we have it now, we should use it to our advantage, to help our bodies heal.

Our body is the vehicle that has only a potential connecting us to the Cosmos, but we are the ones doing the cleaning, within each of our inherited capacities, diet being only one of the tools needed.

paulo said:
1CUP (250g) BEEF BONE BROTH

23.75g protein + 12.5g fat

beef bones (raw) = Amounts per 100 grams (3.5oz) = total fat 7.4g + protein 11.3g

It looks like a lot of protein per cup.

When I searched for the protein content of bone broth I found that there must be around 7 gr of protein per cup.

I have had a few pike lately with eggs and was wondering if anyone knows of a way to prepare them? My neighbor said he tried cooking them once but they were like leather.

Thanks Paulo for your account. It never occurred to me to have Sauerkraut juice, I love Sauerkraut ...

Dinner @ 6pm 5 sardines

:P I just imagined my husband's face if that would be our dinner, hehe ...
Not sure if it's good to have such a copious amount of fish at once though, think heavy metal toxicity and the fact that you want to GAIN weight ...

Also you might want to reconsider the mushrooms on your meal plan.

I love salt-buttered tea, too, it's my favorite staple.
Re: your constipation, you have to amp up your magnesium intake, especially in the first weeks you need a lot (for some reason), later the problem goes away by itself (my guess is it's the lacking fiber, and the body just needs to readjust)

M.T.

Just wanted to mention that the constipation will eventually sort it's self out, but my experience is that constipation on the ketogenic diet is much less uncomfortable than being constipated on a regular diet. I used to get constipated only when traveling years ago for some reason when eating a regular diet, and it used to really make me feel sluggish. Whereas the couple of times I've been constipated on the ketogenic diet (e.g. no bowel movement for a couple of days), I don't feel any different than having bowel movements every day. I still have the problem of loose stools more often than constipation when going overboard with daily fat consumption by 25 to 30 grams of fat - it's a fine line to get to just that point of having enough fat without starting to get loose stools as I'm always trying to hit 75% to 85% of daily calories in healthy fats (and usually have 5 to 10 grams of net carbs max). For what it's worth.

davey72 said:
I have had a few pike lately with eggs and was wondering if anyone knows of a way to prepare them? My neighbor said he tried cooking them once but they were like leather.

Don't eat the big ones. Any pike bigger than 24 inches should be put back in the water. The smaller ones are better eaters, you can prepare them the same way you would walleye, pan fried in butter or lard. At least that's my experience.

Why not the big ones? Do you mean the eggs of the big ones? I like the bigger ones because ya have to filet them.

davey72 said:
Why not the big ones? Do you mean the eggs of the big ones? I like the bigger ones because ya have to filet them.

I misunderstood, I didn't realize you were eating the eggs of the fish, when you said eggs I thought you were eating fish with chicken eggs. If you enjoy eating the bigger ones, by all means continue. I have always preferred the smaller game fish myself. As for eating the eggs, never done it, never heard of it, so can't give any advice on preparation.

Heimdallr said:
davey72 said:

I misunderstood, I didn't realize you were eating the eggs of the fish, when you said eggs I thought you were eating fish with chicken eggs. If you enjoy eating the bigger ones, by all means continue. I have always preferred the smaller game fish myself. As for eating the eggs, never done it, never heard of it, so can't give any advice on preparation.

Apparently, that was my error too. :-[

Back
Top Bottom