432 Hz vs 440Hz

Audacity is a free software that allows to change the pitch. Regardless of the real resonance effects of the 432Hz tunning (could be another frequency after all), it's fun to experiment with no wishful thinking.

Hi all,

I have been looking into this for sometime now. Unfortunately I am not a math whiz. Just play a little guitar and love music. This forum has some other things i might find interesting. but more than likely this will be my only post.

I read and searched this thread, and while Horowitz is mentioned, he has at least one detractor putting up some opposing points that i didnt see here yet (sry if I missed it)

I find his explanations, math, and use of the 432 to be more believable. But again I am no scientist.

Here if a link to one of his youtubes. He has others and a site, but I
fogot his name and cant look it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVATlX4XKMk

b

Hi bhm,

Welcome to our forum. :)

We recommend all new members to post an introduction in the Newbies section telling us a bit about themselves, how they found the cass material, and how much of the work here they have read.

You can have a look through that board to see how others have done it.

opossum said:
Hi All,
I've been experimenting with different tunings for weeks,my interest sparked by this discussion. Although the theories are certainly thought provoking, as my musician friends would put it, "the proof is in the pickin' ".
First I tuned my banjo to A432 which sounded better to me than A440 and did seem calmer and more soothing. However, the songs didn't seem right to me and there was something that sounded a little "off". I tuned back to A440 and was horrified that I could no longer tolerate it and it was very irritating. Back to A432 and again better but a little "off". Then I decided to try A417 and BINGO! As far as I am concerned, this is it for me. I have never heard anything that resonated with my own FRV so well and I am hooked.
Before anyone asks, yes I re-tuned all the strings. I played several songs and they sounded delightful and the intonation "up the neck" was better than when tuned to A440.
Next, in order to test possible healing benefits of vibrations in regard to music or otherwise, I downloaded a frequency generator and spent a few minutes playing frequencies ranging from 1hz (which of course I couldn't hear) to about 200 HZ. For some reason, at a certain frequency at a level inaudible to my ears, a small lump which had been in my underarm for years began to vibrate and has shrunk in size over the last few days. Sadly, I do not remember which frequency it was and will have to repeat the experiment.
Anyway I appreciate this thread even though some of the more detailed explanations left me feeling somewhat dizzy. I would love to know of the results of experimentation by any members.

This would make alot of sense because 417hz is actually an already known frequency which is known to relax, and is used in alot of solfelgio harmonics/songs to help relax and sooth the mind

Jonathan said:
I've been reading about this as well, but can't come to any conclusions about who exactly changed the standard tuning from A432 to A440. Some say Bach, some Goebbels, it goes all over the place...

Two interesting bits I found said Verdi's music was composed and originally played at A432, and that the original Stradivarius violins were designed to be tuned to A432.

Also 432 squared is 186,624, which comes close to Einstein's figure for the speed of light - 186,282 miles per second.

Aaand, if you plot the Pythagorean tuning for the C-Major scale on a 360 degree wheel, the wheel is based on 16 divisions, and if you set middle C as 256Hz (A432 tuning), you get 16 sections of 16Hz in the wheel.

One thing that caught my eye was when I calculated the hertz frequencies for the C-Major scale in 432. I posted this on my facebook as well, but here it is... I find it fascinating that the cycles per second work out to whole numbers with A432 and NOT with A440. Seems to make sense that this tuning would "feel better" to the human ear.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Modern Standard Tuning (A = 440 hz, C = 261.63 hz)
Sources: http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html and http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-notenames.htm

Note Frequency (hz)

- Mid Low (1 octave below middle C)

C 130.81
D 146.83
E 164.81
F 174.61
G 196
A 220
B 246.94

- Mid (middle C)

C 261.63
D 293.66
E 329.63
F 349.23
G 392
A 440
B 493.88

- Mid High (1 octave above middle C)

C 523.25
D 587.33
E 659.26
F 698.46
G 783.99
A 880.00
B 987.77

- - - - - - -

Stradivari/Verdi Tuning (A = 432 hz, C = 256 hz)
Calculated using the Pythagorean method of 3:2 ratio for dominants, 11:8 for sub-dominants, 2:1 for octaves.

Note Frequency (hz)

- Mid Low (1 octave below middle C)

C 128
D 144
E 162
F 176
G 192
A 216
B 243

- Mid (middle C)

C 256
D 288
E 324
F 352
G 384
A 432
B 486

- Mid High (1 octave above middle C)

C 512
D 576
E 648
F 704
G 768
A 864
B 972

- - - - - - - - - - -

edit: WIN32, did you post this originally in baked noodles? it doesn't seem that baked to me...

It seems you're just about on it with these numbers, but there's a little more to our funky tuning argument than meets the eye. The very note by which others in the chromatic scale are derived just may be off, itself, in proper ratio to time-keeping devices (specifically the second hand). I have been working on a paper for a couple of years now that I elegantly distilled into about 5 pages worth of complete sensibility as to why the world should tune their instruments to A = 432hz, and, relatively, why there needs to be a standardization of certain tempos to keep in time with the frequencies of the musical notes themselves. The paper is now published, here, as "A = 432hz: On the Proper Concert Pitch and a New Standardization of Tempo." _http://ar.gy/22ym]

~Brendan Bombaci
"In a world of ever-changing data, there is no difference between a teacher and a student. A teacher is simply a student who chooses to honestly profess what he knows, with acceptance of peer review and the possibility of incorrectness/incompleteness."

Hi kairologic,

We recommend all new members to post an introduction in the Newbies section telling us a bit about themselves, how they found the cass material, and how much of the work here they have read.

Gandalf said:
Hi kairologic,

Gandalf! It's so great meeting you! ;D

Will do. Might take me a minute, because I've been fairly wrapped up this last few days, but no problem. In the meantime, let me please add that the link I provided is a shortcut for a longer but more direct link. It follows, and leads to my article entitled "A = 432hz: On the Proper Concert Pitch and a New Standardization of Tempo." _http://www.lulu.com/shop/brendan-bombaci/a-432hz-on-the-proper-concert-pitch-and-a-new-standardization-of-tempo/ebook/product-20439879.html

Glad to contribute!

Mod's note: The link has been deactivated.

mkrnhr said:
Audacity is a free software that allows to change the pitch. Regardless of the real resonance effects of the 432Hz tunning (could be another frequency after all), it's fun to experiment with no wishful thinking.

Heads up :offtopic:

Just want to share a great device that works well with Audacity. We've been messing around with an interface device which allows you to convert cassette tapes, LPs, voice and/or instrumental to MP3 format directly to your computer using Audacity (free software), but also works with other mixing/recording software.
Behringer makes the device U-Control UCA202, costs about $30 (amazon; recommend reading some of the helpful reviews; they'll assist in avoiding some of the technical hangups novice users have experienced :headbash:).

My son used a Pignose amp to record several tracks of his banjo playing(it has a pick-up). It allows recording directly from a stereo (using RCA jacks), a sound board (mixing board), or an amp and coverts the sound to digital directly to computer's software, such as Audacity. Its pretty awesome for the small price tag.

opossum said:
The link is to purchase the article.

You no longer must purchase the article. It is free to the public. For those interested, its title is "A=432hz: On the Proper Concert Pitch and a New Standardization of Tempo." I will provide better links below.

http://www.trueconcertpitch.com

http://www.a432concertpitch.com

http://www.lulu.com/shop/brendan-bombaci/a-432hz-on-the-proper-concert-pitch-and-a-new-standardization-of-tempo/ebook/product-20451167.html

Thanks again for checking it out! :D

"A=432hz: On the Proper Concert Pitch and a New Standardization of Tempo"

The article, by the same name as this reply note, which I linked in prior posts, is now available to watch on YouTube. I have included a bit more information at its beginning, such as the argument as to why just intonation is better than equal temperament. Hope you get a lot out of it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBQ9XkQyXxI&feature=youtu.be.

Back
Top Bottom