CT Elementary School Shooting

Some facial expressions can be associated with very different meanings, depending upon the context. Looking at a photo or a segment of a video (without the audio) may not be sufficient to determine the emotional state. This is something that you can observe over time in news photos.

Of course, individual perception of facial expressions varies as well, and there are tests on the Web that you can take to see how well you can do at it.

anart said:
kniall said:
I think this assumption that Robbie Parker was 'faking it', on the basis that he can be seen to smile before giving his speech, is absurd. People do lots of quirky things when they are running on high-octane emotions.

I agree.

I don't think anyone here can fathom what it feels like to lose a child in such a horrific manner, much less how it feels to then have to talk on television about it to millions of people. So, to think that he's not acting normal is kind of ridiculous since there is no normal in this situation. Lots of people laugh from nerves, as well - so I don't think that jumping to conclusion about his lying makes any sense. He's probably still completely numb about the whole thing.

Thanks for that. Cause I was at a certain point annoyed about this discussion, but was not sure if it just was a projection of mine, so I did refrain from posting about it.

The reason of eventually projecting is, cause I lost a best friend several years ago and did work in a hospice as well. Some months back I did meet the parents again and about 10 years later they were still suffering losing one son. Yes, still. And that's eventually a problem, cause people do expect certain behavior, that grieving follows certain expressions and time schedules, which it doesn't. And I don't like to imagine to lose someone from one hour to another (again, standing at the door and asking for my friend, when the father tells me that he died last night) with no time of preparation for it and having a chance to say goodbye. And without more data it is purely assumption and kind of blaming the victim imo.

Thanks all for giving another point of view, which could makes sense. If it was a projection, I do really not know from what it could come. If I am wrong on my previous post, as I surely am, so please accept my apologies if I ever hurt anyone for missing compassion. :-[

Gawan said:
anart said:
kniall said:
I think this assumption that Robbie Parker was 'faking it', on the basis that he can be seen to smile before giving his speech, is absurd. People do lots of quirky things when they are running on high-octane emotions.

I agree.

I don't think anyone here can fathom what it feels like to lose a child in such a horrific manner, much less how it feels to then have to talk on television about it to millions of people. So, to think that he's not acting normal is kind of ridiculous since there is no normal in this situation. Lots of people laugh from nerves, as well - so I don't think that jumping to conclusion about his lying makes any sense. He's probably still completely numb about the whole thing.

Thanks for that. Cause I was at a certain point annoyed about this discussion, but was not sure if it just was a projection of mine, so I did refrain from posting about it.

The reason of eventually projecting is, cause I lost a best friend several years ago and did work in a hospice as well. Some months back I did meet the parents again and about 10 years later they were still suffering losing one son. Yes, still. And that's eventually a problem, cause people do expect certain behavior, that grieving follows certain expressions and time schedules, which it doesn't. And I don't like to imagine to lose someone from one hour to another (again, standing at the door and asking for my friend, when the father tells me that he died last night) with no time of preparation for it and having a chance to say goodbye. And without more data it is purely assumption and kind of blaming the victim imo.

I think after seeing the Obama fake crying, and all of our emotions about this horrible event, some of us are looking for hints of more lying. I think it was odd behavior on the clip, but heck, when I got the phone call that my dad died (back in May), I said "are you sure?" Because I had just gotten off of the phone with him. It turns out I was the last person he talked to. He couldn't speak anymore, and dropped the phone. Then he died.

So my behavior wasn't exactly what the movies show. I was really doing ok even during the funeral. I suspected people wanted me to cry, but I couldn't.

But I cry all of the time about it now. The shock is over, the sadness brought itself in it's own natural way.

Thanks also Gawan for sharing your story about your friend.

Edited for a few errors.

Even though I'm still not certain either way about Robbie Parker, I do think it is a very delicate thing to say or suggest (I'm speaking to myself here too!) that a person in such a situation is lying or Psychopathic based on a video!
Every Person is different and reacts differently. I shouldn't have made that assumption based on something like this!
I don't know who he is or anything else about him, nothing, so it is foolish and even blasphemous from me to suggest something like this based on a video.

so I want to apologise......

anart said:

This reminds me of a documentary on pedophile networks. Kids were telling their horrific stories like nothing, like talking about the climate or something trivial. One victim was already an adult and after telling her story with a total non-concern face, a psychologist was called-in to help determine if her story was genuine or not. The psychologist went on to explain how the "unconcerned style" was what made her actually think that she was genuine and telling the truth. Or something to this effect. After such a traumatic event, I would think dissociation and been out of touch with the whole situation is not that rare.

Thanks for the sobering thoughts about Parker. After spending hours trying to find any new clues or angles to the story, I was already programmed to look for "oddities". Finding the "sensational" video clips with their discussions clouded my discernment.

Well, there's no excuse. I was disrespectful. I think these wild theories are thrown in the soup just to muddy to waters, as usual.

Well our local schools are in a type of lock down due to 'rumors.'

http://www.abc17news.com/news.php?id=8517

"Columbia Public Schools leaders are taking extra safety precautions on Friday, December 21st due to safety concerns.

In a letter sent out to students and parents, the district is hoping to discourage the spread of rumors of a "possible planned violent act" at one of the district's high schools. The letter states a rumor is being spread regarding a gun on campus or a possible shooting.

Because of the possible threat, the district will take the following actions on Friday at the district's high schools:

- All high school campuses will be closed campuses. No students will be permitted to leave for lunch or AUT. Students can only leave campus if there is a "demonstrated academic need."

..........and it goes on with more new rules from there.

Psyche said:
anart said:

This reminds me of a documentary on pedophile networks. Kids were telling their horrific stories like nothing, like talking about the climate or something trivial. One victim was already an adult and after telling her story with a total non-concern face, a psychologist was called-in to help determine if her story was genuine or not. The psychologist went on to explain how the "unconcerned style" was what made her actually think that she was genuine and telling the truth. Or something to this effect. After such a traumatic event, I would think dissociation and been out of touch with the whole situation is not that rare.

Forgot about the strength of dissociation states, thanks for the reminder.
I agree Anart, I have no idea of what is passing in the head of this man, the video just stroke me as odd. Odd meaning a reaction that seemed strange to me. And my perception of the whole thing can be off.
I apologize for my remarks.

Iron said:
Psyche said:
anart said:

I agree Anart, I have no idea of what is passing in the head of this man, the video just stroke me as odd. Odd meaning a reaction that seemed strange to me. And my perception of the whole thing can be off.
I apologize for my remarks.

I don't think anyone here should feel guilty about questioning things. it's independent research, that is what we do here. So no worries, I think it's great that everyone questions everything. Thank goodness.

Iron said:

I had a relative who many years ago lost her parents. She broke out in uncontrollable laughter during the church service "embarrassing" everyone.
I agree with those who said, that it could be just the shock of the situation and the camera which produced the Parker's "fake smile".

I know myself that as soon as a camera is pointed towards me that my facial expression freezes and becomes totally unnatural.

Thanks for all of this. I was projecting, I am sure. Being very expressive myself and I think that grieve like humor is also cultural. Some cultures express grieve with cries and tears and others with yells and others with coldness. So I am sure that in my interpretation I was judging, this is not good. I show the video to my husband. My husband is a Canadian, very cold and he said to me that the guy surely was under tranquilizers and because of that he was not himself. Also he is a man, maybe women feel this situation a little bit different? It is a question I ask, I don't assume nothing. I know that in the situation of this father I would be incapable to be in front of the cameras, to smile or to talk. I would be crying till the end of my life.

I guess you on Facebook have seen the "hoax" video with the medical examiner. As in the Parker video, someone is trying to make this guy look crazy or unreliable. A good lesson (for me) how editing can make people look very different. Watching the unedited version makes me think that this ME is actually a pretty smart guy. Smarter than the reporters, who ask some really irrelevant questions.

Edited version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV3KYBS64R8&sns=em

Unedited version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE0OT5od9DA&sns=em

Psyche said:
anart said:

That is very common in people who've experienced prolonged exposure to horrific events or abuse. Another reason for his odd behavior could be that he's medicated, whether it's prescribed or otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom