Éiriú-Eolas - Breathing Program

I took a nasty fall down the stairs this morning and dislocated my shoulder.

Hi Pepperfritz,

Yikes, you must have really taken a tumble! Thanks for sharing the experience with the effects of the breathing on pain. It is quite remarkable what can happen when we just learn to breath correctly.[insert breathing smiley here :P]

I hope you heal quickly :flowers:

I'm going to try that in the dentist's chair next time.

Glad you are better Pepperfritz, it makes quite a "pop" doesn't it?

Get well soon Pepperfritz. I hope it doesn't hurt when you type. ;)

It's great to see the breathing put to such good use.

Hopefully the deep breathing will also help you to recover and heal quickly. :cool:

To your speedy recover. :flowers:

Mountain Crown said:
Try to keep the tip of your tongue gently touching the palate, neither too far back nor too far forward. It might help.

thank you, I'll try doing that!

PepperFritz said:
Thought I would share with you all a quite unexpected use/benefit of the Breathing Program. I took a nasty fall down the stairs this morning and dislocated my shoulder. [..]

I am sorry that you had to go through this, but am at the same time inspired by your experience. So glad you were able to help yourself using what you've learned! :flowers:

You might want to make sure you don't overwork your arm too early. If you are taking anti-inflammatories, it's hard to feel when your injured extremity has had enough. Ice and rest are the best, and then FIR blanket for speedy heeling.

to your continued recovery!

well done pepper fritz! Wish you speedy recovery.

I suppose its all part of remembering yourself in difficult situations, I still haven't mastered pipe breathing so I can do it inconspicuously in public and I still do sound like Dart Wader.

Ouch!

:flowers: For your speedy healing. Having taken many tumbles myself, I tell people it isn't the fall that is the problem, its the sudden 'Stop'. :D

I'm currently experimenting with the pipe breathing for spasticity in my body. So far once a day isn't enough, I'm going to bump it up to three as I can, and post the results as it goes.

While breathing deeply I have the perception that I will lose consciousness, so after doing it two or three times I stop doing it deeply and just let it go not so deeply but slow, soon I start to feel myself vibrating and seeing everything surrounded by a yellow light.

I do not understand why do I find myself as losing consciusness while breathing deeply continuously, any thoughts?

Hope you are better Pepperfritz

That's very useful to know, thanks for sharing Pepperfritz. I hope you have a speedy recovery (and no more falls)! fwiw you may want to look up transdermal magnesium (if you haven't already) for soothing muscles/inflammation too. But by the looks of things the breathing reduces inflammation anyway. :)

Pryf said:
While breathing deeply I have the perception that I will lose consciousness, so after doing it two or three times I stop doing it deeply and just let it go not so deeply but slow, soon I start to feel myself vibrating and seeing everything surrounded by a yellow light.

I do not understand why do I find myself as losing consciusness while breathing deeply continuously, any thoughts?

Is this specifically the pipe breathing or are you just trying to breath deeply all the time?? Breathing deeply All the time is not adviced as far as I can tell. Breathing with your diaphragm doesn't have to be deep breathing, its more about breathing correctly with the right muscles than deepness of breath.osit.

If its not a continues thing, then perhaps you are using the wrong muscles (forcing it?).....alternatively it may be you have an underlying health issue that's been highlighted.
A quick google brings up this about over breathing...

_http://www.fluther.com/disc/28843/why-does-deep-breathing-make-my-feet-and-hands-tingle/
Basically, you are overbreathing, and releasing too much carbon dioxide from your breath (one of the primary functions of breathing is to release carbon dioxide, in addition to inhaling oxygen). When your blood CO2 becomes too low, less blood is delivered to your brain, leading to the major central nervous system effects. Further, the effects of reducing blood CO2 is to raise blood pH, which affects blood and tissue calcium levels (and ionization), which is why you feel the numbness and tingling.

RedFox said:
Is this specifically the pipe breathing or are you just trying to breath deeply all the time?? Breathing deeply All the time is not adviced as far as I can tell. Breathing with your diaphragm doesn't have to be deep breathing, its more about breathing correctly with the right muscles than deepness of breath.osit.

Yes, That should be the problem, I misunderstood it, I was breathing deeply while counting, an it is truth there is no need to do it deeply, just slowly :-[

Thank you RedFox

I have a quick question about the breathing techniques, and there relation to pregnant women. Yesterday I was talking with a girl at work who is pregnant, and she was looking to start doing breathing techniques. I introduced her to Eiriu Eolas Breathing Technique, and she found it extremely difficult to do. She most definitely couldn't do the 6-3-12-3 Count.

_http://www.babycenter.com/0_shortness-of-breath-during-pregnancy_219.bc
I sometimes feel short of breath now that I'm pregnant. Is this common?
Yes, many women experience this sensation as their pregnancy advances. You may even notice it early in pregnancy, although at that stage it's more often sensed as a heightened awareness of the need to breathe.

You need more oxygen during pregnancy, and your body adapts to meet this need in several ways. An increase in hormones, particularly progesterone, directly affects your lungs and stimulates the respiratory center in your brain. And while the number of breaths you take per minute actually changes very little during pregnancy, the amount of air you take in with each breath increases significantly.

Later in pregnancy, as your growing uterus puts pressure on your diaphragm, your breathing might feel more labored — especially if you're carrying your baby high or carrying multiples.

You may get some relief a few weeks before you're due, especially if it's your first pregnancy. This is when some women experience lightening (the baby dropping into the pelvis).

Is there anything I can do about feeling short of breath?
This feeling is usually harmless and normal. But it's a good idea to take things a little bit more slowly and remember not to push yourself too hard when being active.

Sit up straight and keep your shoulders back, especially when sitting, to give your lungs as much room to expand as possible. Propping yourself in bed a bit with a few extra pillows might give you some relief at night.

Once you give birth, your breathing will soon go back to feeling like it did before you were pregnant.

Could shortness of breath ever indicate a serious problem?
Yes. For example, if you have a respiratory illness such as asthma or pneumonia, it can be more serious when you're pregnant.

Also, because of changes in blood clotting during pregnancy, you're more at risk for a pulmonary embolism (a blood clot that goes to your lungs). This is a rare but very serious occurrence.

If shortness of breath comes on suddenly or becomes severe, it could be a sign of a serious medical problem. Seek medical help immediately.

You should also get help right away if shortness of breath is accompanied by any of the following symptoms:

• Worsening asthma

• Rapid breathing

• A rapid pulse, heart palpitations, or faintness

• Chest pain or pain when you breathe

• A blue tinge around your lips, fingers, or toes, or if you look pale

• A sense of apprehension that you're not getting enough oxygen

• A persistent cough, a cough along with fever or chills, or coughing blood

I would think that the breathing technique would still be helpful for her, but maybe it would be best for her to shorten the duration due to the pressure on the diaphragm which she admitted she felt from the baby, like maybe a count of 3-1-6-1, or something like that. Any suggestions?

Daniel S, in the beginning of the audio recording, Laura clearly states that the breathing method is contraindicated for pregnant women (and in a few other cases). This means it is not advised.

anart said:
Daniel S, in the beginning of the audio recording, Laura clearly states that the breathing method is contraindicated for pregnant women (and in a few other cases). This means it is not advised.

:scared: Uh oh. I'll let her know right away not to practice the technique until after pregnancy, if she chooses to.

PepperFritz,

Thanks for sharing your experience - and all the best for your recovery. Shoulder problems can take a while to get back to normal (had the same problem and it took me two years to feel back to normal ...).

I wouldn't have thought to use the breathing technique in this situation, so this is a very useful piece of information. If I ever get into a similar situation I will try to remember ...

Thanks again and speedy recovery!

Back
Top Bottom