Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

Since moving to a new house we've felt a need for wood for random crafting and repair as it comes up, so we've been dragging home used pallets from local places that throw them out. They're usually in rough shape, but still useful and might give a nice weathered look to anything you make with them.

Of course before we can have them ready, we have to pull them apart with a hammer and crow bar. Our crowbar is hammered smooth on one part and one of our hammers had the nail pullers crack and fly off. It's brutal! I've been dismantling palettes we got recently that are made of oak, and I found I get water blisters because of how hard I have to hammer the crowbar. These are just layers of skin that have been rubbed loose from the lower layer, and they fill up with salty water for some reason.

I've gotten these blisters in the past from similar things, but they would always take a week or so to heal, and would blow up like water balloons and might spray if they rupture. Almost always they would rupture and expose the raw skin underneath, and that entire section of skin would have to regrow. If they didn't rupture, the section of skin would just yellow and harden and the water would slowly drain and it would become a callus.

BUT, after changing my diet it's different. While dismantling the pallets I've gotten one of these blisters twice in the same place, and the next day it was almost completely healed. They no longer swell with water, and it seems the loose layer of skin adheres back overnight.

One idea I have is that I might simply have enough electrolytes, since I eat more salt, and tend to take some salt with my water when I'm out in the equatorial heat. It could be that electrolyte deficiency causes the blister to swell instead of healing naturally. I'm not sure about this though.

We are beginning the experiment with the Keto Custard made with water and lard. It's the same recipe as the one made with coconut milk and oil, only replacing the coconut milk with pure water, and the coconut oil with lard. Will let everyone know how this goes.

Ariadna said:
Hello,
Health problems that began three months ago have not disappeared . I'm better, symptoms are more cushioned and self-limiting. But they have not disappeared ... have almost normal days and days where palpitations occur quite frequently and with little effort, sometimes abundant gas in stomach without pain or discomfort . I remain of waking at night several times. I follow the same treatment and added one session per week of acupuncture and massage.
Emotionally I do not feel nervous or stressed but sensible.
Regarding diet, I’m two months gluten free again, free sugar, in paleo and practicing EE, only breathing in three stages, 2-3 times a week.
I have obtained some analytical results with respect to iron :
Iron: 121
Transferrin: 290
Ferritin: 65
Index transferrin saturation: 29.6 %

I'm really not sure about being able to take a certain amount of vit. C
I have also obtained my progesterone levels in blood: 0.52 ng/dl. At the end of this month I will have the analytical study (blood and urine) adrenal glands, specifically free cortisol.
Thanks for listening, for your advice and being there. Cassiopea and its members are present in my daily life. :) :hug2:

Hello friends , I quote my own text to context, sorry about that.
Now I have other analytical data :
- Methoxytyramine 1098mcg/24h . normal range ( 103-434 )
Review laboratory : high dopamine metabolite . Assess for possible diet / drugs interfering .
I am currently taking alprazolam 0.25 mg every 12 hours
- Urine Free Cortisol : 409 / 24h . normal range (20-90 ) . An unexpected result for me , I thought it would be low cortisol.
Other laboratory values are normal ​​.
I told the doctor I was doing low -carb diet , and I have to repeat my analytical again after the summer . I think , the doctor believes that this is related to anxiety.

Overall I am already quite better, stronger , feeling palpitations few days at different times of the day, more in the morning . These palpitations pass soon and I can work and do normal life.

Regarding diet I think I have not exceeded the portions of carbohydrates recommended (at least not much) , now weight 63.5 kgr , 2 kgr more than before the illness , during illness lost a lot of weight, I looked very thin. .
Now , 2 days ago , I have lost even more carbohydrates and fats increased (pork , avocado , olive oil and butter) . I do not feel hungry . And sometimes , I think it may already be in ketosis before becoming ill .

About supplements , I am now taking magnesium, potassium and L -carnitine, 2 g Vit C, sometimes digestive enzymes and melatonin. I have 5 HTP at home , but don't know if it is advisable to take with alprazolam , or wait to go down with this.

I wonder if there is any essential supplement to help in this process , I would not mess up and stepping back . I don't know if the " keto flu" will attack me again or not. But I would like to have definite success in adapting.
I would be very grateful for your opinion and advice . I hope you have more or less clearly " photo " of my situation.

Ariadna said:
About supplements , I am now taking magnesium, potassium and L -carnitine, 2 g Vit C, sometimes digestive enzymes and melatonin. I have 5 HTP at home , but don't know if it is advisable to take with alprazolam , or wait to go down with this.

I wonder if there is any essential supplement to help in this process , I would not mess up and stepping back . I don't know if the " keto flu" will attack me again or not. But I would like to have definite success in adapting.
I would be very grateful for your opinion and advice . I hope you have more or less clearly " photo " of my situation.

The 5-HTP could help you to come off from the alprazolam. Both can be taken at the same time, but with care. The greatest concern with 5 HTP is with MAOI anti-depressants. You could start with the lowest dose of 5 HTP (50mg) and then increase 50mg every two days until a dose of 300mg or so is reached. At the same time you can decrease the dose of the alprazolam. More info here: http://www.sott.net/article/215212-Boosting-Your-Happy-Brain-Chemistry-with-5-HTP. A dopamine metabolite was high in your test results, says could have been something you ate. Still, if you feel discomfort with the 5 HTP, then drop it. Interesting thing about the cortisol, that is the other side of the coin of exhaustion... too much cortisol going around. Hope you are getting enough rest and feeling better :flowers:

I think the supplements look fine, more important is the dietary changes and staying well hydrated. Had you tried the coconut custard? : http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,34453.0.html

It is great! :) :thup:

Gaby said:
The 5-HTP could help you to come off from the alprazolam. Both can be taken at the same time, but with care. The greatest concern with 5 HTP is with MAOI anti-depressants. You could start with the lowest dose of 5 HTP (50mg) and then increase 50mg every two days until a dose of 300mg or so is reached. At the same time you can decrease the dose of the alprazolam. More info here: http://www.sott.net/article/215212-Boosting-Your-Happy-Brain-Chemistry-with-5-HTP. A dopamine metabolite was high in your test results, says could have been something you ate. Still, if you feel discomfort with the 5 HTP, then drop it. Interesting thing about the cortisol, that is the other side of the coin of exhaustion... too much cortisol going around. Hope you are getting enough rest and feeling better :flowers:
You can take 5-HTP with melatonin?. I take melatonin every night. Generally I sleep well, but sometimes I have trouble to fall asleep.

l apprenti de forgeron said:
You can take 5-HTP with melatonin?. I take melatonin every night. Generally I sleep well, but sometimes I have trouble to fall asleep.

Yeah, both can be taken. But perhaps you should give these tips a try first:

6 easy steps to falling asleep fast
http://www.sott.net/article/274576-6-easy-steps-to-falling-asleep-fast

:)

Funny that you are all moving away from the cocounut bomb, I just got used to it :P
Took me three weeks and I can also only digest small portions. Will have it occasionally, let's see, I really like the coconutty flavour.

I am still fine on my KD with a lot of amazing results of which I wanna write when I have more time, only yesterday went and had Indian food, and now outbreak of ekzema (they had been healed so well :cry:) and also major depressive state :curse:

It was an invitation, husband's coworkers, what are you doing if you have to eat out? Are you still going to restaurants? What if you get invited?

M.T.

It was an invitation, husband's coworkers, what are you doing if you have to eat out? Are you still going to restaurants? What if you get invited?

I stick to meat with the least amount of 'additions' like sauces or rubs(I ask that the sauce or rub be left out), and a salad with oil/vinegar dressing when dining out, or invited to go out. I have been invited to places that were all carb based, and in that instance, I chose a large salad with oil/vinegar dressing. I went for the company, not the food. :flowers:

Gaby said:
Yeah, both can be taken. But perhaps you should give these tips a try first:

6 easy steps to falling asleep fast
http://www.sott.net/article/274576-6-easy-steps-to-falling-asleep-fast

:)
Nice! Good info (in the links too). Thank you very much, Gaby. :flowers:

Well I finally got in gear and have been doing the Keto diet. Have much progress as I'm loosing weight. I've noticed that I'm more satisfied for a longer period of time concerning hunger than when I did the eat just anything diet with lots of carbs. Husband is finding health benefits as well and with some knowledge in chemistry he understands what is going on inside of himself. We are both intrigued and fascinated, with the various kinds of fat bombs, coco being our favorite, then lemon and I've even made the Ginger flavored ones. Have noticed the red inflammation is now gone from my arms, not sure what that was. ;D

I was wondering, what happens if you reduce the amount of carbs
to about 50g and not raising your fat intake?

What your body can't get from your diet or fat reserves it will get by using uric acid to scrape the protein out of your organs and bones. If it's possible to fast for a while this way without losing lean tissue, then you would need to be highly fat adapted. Of course who'd want to fast like that?

Anthony said:

You won't have any fuel and your body will begin to cannibalize itself, probably targeting muscle tissue first since you aren't prompting it to burn fat. As Monotonic said, you need to be fat adapted.

Laura said:
Anthony said:

You won't have any fuel and your body will begin to cannibalize itself, probably targeting muscle tissue first since you aren't prompting it to burn fat. As Monotonic said, you need to be fat adapted.

Yes, Anthony, you want to be very careful not to restrict carbs without increasing your fats. About a year ago, when I was transitioning into full ketosis I reduced my carb intake to somewhere under 10g and while I was still eating good amounts of protein, I didn't increase my fat intake and consequently lost 8Kg in just a couple of months, most of which was lean tissue as I was already skinny to begin with. Funny enough, I didn't even notice the change until it became so obvious that my family and friends just plainly told me that I had become anorexic. So please take your time to read all the available material on the forum before making any drastic changes to your diet.

Ok, thank you for the reply. I've read on some other forum that
it's very dangerous, just wanted to get some more info.

Back
Top Bottom