Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

Anthony said:
Ok, thank you for the reply. I've read on some other forum that
it's very dangerous, just wanted to get some more info.

Well, I wouldn't say that it's dangerous; it's actually very beneficial in many aspects regardless of whether you have diabetes, neurological disorders or no condition at all. It's just important to not rush things when transitioning into ketosis as it completely changes the way in which your body metabolizes food for energy.

Anthony said:
I was wondering, what happens if you reduce the amount of carbs
to about 50g and not raising your fat intake?

I did this too and I think it is quite common in the beginning because you are simply not used to eating so much fat, or, if you are not weighing meticulously you just think that you already had your proper intake. Luckily I started to feel quite weird :umm: after a couple of days and just eating plain piece of butter did the job, that was definitely one of these AHA experiences.

The beautiful thing about this diet is that your body seems to tell you immediately when something is wrong (other when you are burning glucose), if you listen to the signs, so I wouldn't worry to much about the dangerousness, but agree that one has to be well prepared before embarking.

M.T.

Hello,

I've just read the book of Polish laryngologist on a kind of paleo diet. Unfortunatelly the book is in Polish:

http://merlin.pl/Dieta-Dobrych-Produktow_Ewa-Bednarczyk-Witoszek/browse/product/1,1299366.html?gclid=CLuM0ublmb4CFfShtAodsGIA0w

The author proposes the rotation system, that is: 6 days on a kind of paleo diet and one freedom day as she calls it (you eat what you want: including grains, sugar..). For me is a bit crazy idea.

But it's actually not the main issue attracting my attention. The author says that combing different proteins on a daily basis is a bad idea leading to many diseases, including cancers. It's not a case of eating too much protein, it's obvious it's not good. The case is one shouldn't eat for instance eggs for breakfast, meat for dinner and some almonds for super. She says one should eat the best one day only eggs for breakfast, dinner and super, another day for example only meat, and later for instance only almonds or only legumes.

I've contacted her to ask where she had got the infos from because there is no footnote in the book, but she said she had just concluded it from treating her patients.

Have you ever heard of such relationship? Is combing proper amount of different proteins on a daily basis really a bad idea?

Greetings,
Kasia

Kasia said:
I've contacted her to ask where she had got the infos from because there is no footnote in the book, but she said she had just concluded it from treating her patients.

If this is no "marketing campaign" and her experience is completely genuine, there could still be other explanations. That is why references and knowledge of the science behind this diet is so important. What if she is observing the results of an "elimination diet" or a "rotation diet" which diminishes sensitivities? Just some thoughts ;)

As for a rotation system of diet she proposes, in the presentation below she says (in 14.50 minute) she took the essence of this diet procedure from a few Western publications already 20 years ago. Unfortunately, she doesn’t cite any title. By the way, in the e-mail I've received from her she writes the contents of the second chapter of her book treating about the rotation diet is her - I'm citing - "logical invention" (the third chapter, as well ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmvaXo8eA9w

Actually, as a doctor she treats ill people who probably have some food sensitivities or allergies. So maybe applying one kind of not harmful protein on a daily basis in their cases can sometimes be helpful. But in her book she doesn’t in fact distinguish between ill and healthy people – she just states: joining many different proteins on a daily basis leads to many illnesses. Without any quality science references behind it it’s not credible, I know, but actually, she makes scarcely any references in her book...Maybe I should leave it...

By the way, sorry for the misspelling in the previous post. Instead of combing proteins (what a concept! :P Maybe I should archive it for the future, maybe there is something deeper in it ;D), it should be: combining proteins.

My spouse is having a stool problem for about 4-5 days. It has a slippery like mucus which is a orange/salmon color. It's a very soft loose stool. My spouse has read Keto-Adapted and has been on a low carb diet for about 2 weeks. Do you think the stool problem is related to the diet?

hlat said:
My spouse is having a stool problem for about 4-5 days. It has a slippery like mucus which is a orange/salmon color. It's a very soft loose stool. My spouse has read Keto-Adapted and has been on a low carb diet for about 2 weeks. Do you think the stool problem is related to the diet?

It probably is - I suspect she is probably not yet able to absorb big fat loads. So I would suggest she backs off a bit with the fat until that has settled down and then she can slowly increase the fat content in her diet again. But this will go away once she has adapted more to absorbing fat.

Or if it doesn't bother her, she can just sit it out ...

hlat said:

If your spouse is doing the diet properly, it could likely be the mass die off of all the old gut bacteria which no longer have any food, and should clear up eventually.

If it persists, it could also be a food sensitivity. Also too much vitamin C, magnesium, or sugar alcohols (xylitol etc) can contribute to this. And of course, stress can be a factor in such issues.

nicklebleu said:
hlat said:

It probably is - I suspect she is probably not yet able to absorb big fat loads. So I would suggest she backs off a bit with the fat until that has settled down and then she can slowly increase the fat content in her diet again. But this will go away once she has adapted more to absorbing fat.

Taking L-carnitine may help with this while going through the adaption period.

Carlisle said:
hlat said:

If your spouse is doing the diet properly, it could likely be the mass die off of all the old gut bacteria which no longer have any food, and should clear up eventually.
I agree with Carlisle's observations, this is only a short way into getting keto-adapted, and many 'effects' may arise on the journey - reading all the threads on getting keto-adapted may indicate other potential issues.

Carlisle said:
nicklebleu said:
hlat said:

Taking L-carnitine may help with this while going through the adaption period.
I can confirm that this is an effective supplement to take whilst going through the adaption process, as is doing a liver cleanse - using a Milk Thistle supplement.

I have a question. I am in week 3 in ketosis.

According to the calculator with 20gr of carbs I am supposed to eat 56gr of protein and around 120gr of fat. (60kg, 1.64m).

In the first two weeks I wasn't very hungry for whatever reason, so I ate very little. I lost around 2-3kg (don't have scales, so have to guess), probably mostly water retention.

Now I am hungrier, but find 60gr of protein and 120gr of fat is nothing! I mean, 120gr of fat is "just" half a block of butter and I am easily putting that alone into my tea during the day.

I would like to loose a little more weight (maybe another 3kg, not more, but they have been bothering me for a long time).

I can't say I am really "hangry" (as Emmerich puts it), meaning having these low blood sugar attacks that I had before, but at around 2 o'clock, well I could use something. In the evening I am having dinner with my spouse, so I have to really carefully monitor to not get over the limit too early in the day.

At the moment I feel that my food intake is somehow restricted (not from what I am eating, the fat is doing me a lot of good, but from how much I am allowed to eat) and didn't expect that.

Is there anything I am doing wrong?

M.T.

hlat said:

I agree with what was written by the posters before me.

I had exactly this kind of stool around a decade ago. A doctor told me that I (for whatever reason, was never solved, why) would not digest my food properly (this was on a high-carb diet, of course).

Maybe some digestive enzymes would help together with fat intake as was mentioned before. I think I am also taking L-Glutamine.

M.T.

Minas Tirith said:
Is there anything I am doing wrong?

M.T.

If you can tolerate more fat, I would add some more. If you are not gaining weight, maybe you need that fat at this stage?

Also, I would alternate some days of "over-feeding" as Maria Emmerich explained in her book, in this case, over-eating protein once a week or so. Specially if you were very active that day.

My 2 cents! :)

The doctor said the stool and color could be the body not digesting fat well, so that was no big surprise.

Is there a particular brand of H-Cl supplement you recommend to aid digestion?

hlat said:
The doctor said the stool and color could be the body not digesting fat well, so that was no big surprise.

The one I use has Betaine HCl and pepsin, & some gentian as a herb. Maybe some ox bile salts might help too. I there are other chronic gut issues (like ulcers, IBS) have a look at mucilaginous herb like Slippery Elm powder.

Arwenn said:
hlat said:

The one I use has Betaine HCl and pepsin, & some gentian as a herb. Maybe some ox bile salts might help too. I there are other chronic gut issues (like ulcers, IBS) have a look at mucilaginous herb like Slippery Elm powder.

Yes, here's one _http://www.thorne.com/products/gastrointestinal-health/prd~sd415.jsp which also facilitates the inhibition of SIBO. (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth)
Also, _http://www.thorne.com/Products/Gastrointestinal-Health/Digestive_Support/prd~SD410.jsp which is better.

Back
Top Bottom