Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

Laura said:
A Jay said:
Εἰρήvη said:
I 've seen people who have advanced degrees in their narrow fields of studies, but absolutely unintelligent when it comes to other areas of knowledge, something that can be developed by simple observation and connecting the dots.

But in this case we also have to take another factor into consideration: due to lack of fat, nutrients and excessive carbs intake, their brains are not working to their full potential.

Yeah, I would think those situations are more generally the lack of proper nutrition, a steady information diet based on lies, and under-developed observational and critical thinking skills than anything genetic.

May be something to that. But read Mithen's "Prehistory of the Mind" to get the lowdown on all the brain studies (forget his theory of consciousness, but the rest of the book is excellent) so as to get a handle on other reasons why people may not be able to connect all their brain parts for optimal functionality.

Meanwhile, on that topic, I've been doing something since coming off the antibiotic/autoimmune protocol that seems to be very helpful: mct oil, butter, and glycine in my tea 3 times per day with 2 600mg capsules of NAC. I think most people could benefit from this but do read up on it. There's a thread.

Sorry, I forgot to add that people with advanced degrees I described above are vegetarians.

Laura, thank you for sharing. I am interested to learn more about this.

Also I will read about mct oil, butter, and glycine added to the tea 3 times per day with 2 600mg capsules of NAC.
Maybe it is will help with my forgetfulness. :)

Εἰρήvη said:

Also I will read about mct oil, butter, and glycine added to the tea 3 times per day with 2 600mg capsules of NAC.

If you have issues like that, you might also benefit from the arginine cardiovascular "clean out" protocol.
Arginine doses:

Week 1: 1 gram 3 X per day.

Week 2: 2 grams 3 X per day.

Week 3: 3 grams 3 X per day.

Continue the 3 grams 3 X per day for 6 months, and then maybe 1 or 2 grams a day for maintenance.

Laura said:
Εἰρήvη said:

If you have issues like that, you might also benefit from the arginine cardiovascular "clean out" protocol.
Arginine doses:

Week 1: 1 gram 3 X per day.

Week 2: 2 grams 3 X per day.

Week 3: 3 grams 3 X per day.

Continue the 3 grams 3 X per day for 6 months, and then maybe 1 or 2 grams a day for maintenance.

Thank you very much Laura, you are so helpful. And you have time for everything: do your research, and help people!

I gave birth in July to a baby boy via cesarean section, and I named him Cesar, because he was born around the time Julius Caesar was born. :flowers:

Since than I am still in the recovery process: pregnancy and breastfeeding is depleted my body resources. During the first 1 week postpartum I only ate bone jelly, and after that I went back to my regular ketogenic diet: bone, broth, all kinds of fats, bacon, eggs, vegetables, butter, coconut oil, fat bombs, avocados etc. During pregnancy and until now (I am breastfeeding) I haven't been taking many supplements: herbal teas such as turmeric, holy basil, milk thistle; spirulina, colostrum, probiotics, magnesium 600mg.
The memory problems started during pregnancy.

I am going to see if the arginine cardiovascular "clean out" protocol is safe for breastfeeding and if, yes, I' ll start on it.

I also need to add more supplements to the list, such as the ones you have suggested: mct oil, butter, and glycine 3 times per day with 2 600mg capsules of NAC.

I am going to read more about this.

Thank you again, Laura.

Well, pregnancy and breastfeeding are an altogether different situation. I think you should have no problems with the butter/mct oil/glycine, but might want to wait on the arginine. Also, you might want to get a bit more carbs in your diet in the form of carrots, green beans, beets, etc.

Laura said:
Well, pregnancy and breastfeeding are an altogether different situation. I think you should have no problems with the butter/mct oil/glycine, but might want to wait on the arginine. Also, you might want to get a bit more carbs in your diet in the form of carrots, green beans, beets, etc.

Thank you very much, Laura.
I was on the minimum carbs possible, since I have acquired the parvovirus during pregnancy. I noticed a direct correlation between the amount of carbs and severe joint inflammation during the pregnancy, to the point that I had use a wheelchair. When I cut down my carbs close to 0 the parvovirus symptoms went away.

You are right, it is safe right now to increase the amount of carbs a bit, by adding some "sweet" vegetables.

Laura, I hope you are feeling a lot better after your antibiotic protocols. I wish you well.

ge0m0 said:
Maybe this is the wrong thread for a Paleo question, but here goes.

I am confused by an apparent contradiction vis a vis human history/evolution as the basis for adopting a paleo diet (i.e. that's how we evolved here on earth as cavemen). The contradiction is this. If humans were transferred to earth from some other world, or at least descended from alien races, how much could we possibly know about how those races evolved?

Thanks for all of the responses. My view, evidence-based, is one of different bodies, different diets. I think that probably fits with the posts I've read here. Of course, all of those different bodies need high-quality fats and essential nutrients, as the data shows. I guess I see paleo-because-we-evolved-that-way as perhaps the least compelling of all the reasons to eat so-called paleo.

Hi all,

I kindly request your advice regarding my adaptation to the diet
It took me longer then I've thought to reach my goal, maybe because of the fact that I'm the only one (for four) at home doing it.
I had a prolonged period of paleo before going full keto and that helped a lot.
But now, Since last Month, I've manage to be on keto and I just love it ! There is one issue which still bother me though:
I've lost a lot of weight. Since the last Month, I went to 96 kg to 88 !! and still counting ! Now I'm maybe 1,90m, still that's a lot ! (I think?)
At first I was OK with it ( I feel great !) but now people around start to talk… are you sick ? are you doing this on purpose ? Those kind of things.
At the beginning I didn't really paid attention to them, but lately I've started to notice. If it continue to go like this, my wardrobe won't be the only problem that I will have to face ! The think is, I cannot explain to them, even to myself, why I'm losing weight. I know the myth about how fat is bad for your health, they don't.
But again, why I am losing weight ? shouldn't I been gaining ? with all the fat that I'm eating ? See the paradox here? People just don't believe me, which is OK with me. I'm not doing it for them. But the thing is, I'm starting to ask myself the same question.
Leta's talk about my meals. One can argue that a reduction of meal consumption can lead to some lost.
I can assure you that I don't eat less than before ! On the contrary! For example before going keto, I rarely had a breakfast ! A cup of Coffee was all I needed for the morning ! One Brioche or a croissant now and then was enough to push my lunch hour even later as usual (never had lunch before 1 O'clock).
Now, I enjoy my egg , bacon and half avocado every morning ! (With some variations). Bone broth ? check ! Fat bomb ? check !
Lunch and super follows as usual. Thanks to forum members and with some creativity, there a more than enough recipes out there to try.
When I started, I was even convince that I was eating too much fat ! But I've always thought that since my stomach was taking it (with the help of some probiotics and bile acid) everything was fine… And you guys know better than me how these meals are filling ! I'm not eating less, I'm just full very fast ! People talk about craving between meals, I usually don't have that issue. Shouldn't that mean something ?
Another thing that need to ask is regarding sport. I'm not the sport guy that I used to be anymore…
Since I've stop playing regular football (soccer that is) I'm not into sport anymore. Some biking now and there with the kids and that it.
I'm also not the Gym guy. Been there in the past, but wasn't really my thing. Now I'm planning to buy a home trainer. The question is, would a lost more weight if I start training regularly or building my muscles mass will help prevent it ?

So here I am reaching out to all of you with more experience for your help in solving this issue

Thank you all for taking the time to read.
Any feedback will be much appreciate

Sincerely, Kanader

Laura said:
Session Date: July 26th 2014

Q: (dugdeep) We were wondering about why these skinny people seem to lose what seems like too much weight. Is it necessary for them to keep a certain amount of insulin raised in order to not lose too much weight? Or can that be countered by eating more fat?

A: More fat. Insulin causes stress to the body across the board.

I know it may be hard to believe, kanander, but if you're losing too much weight, you're probably not eating enough fat. Are you doing fat bombs or some kind of fatty beverage (butter tea, butter cocoa or, if your gut is properly healed, butter coffee)? Extra fat in your broth? The simple fact is, it's really easy to go too low on your calories when you're in ketosis, if you're not replacing all the carbs you used to eat with enough fat. It's also easy to fall into the trap of not realizing how much fat is actually needed to successfully maintain your energy requirements. It really is a stupendous amount of fat!

In regards to exercise - resistance training helps a great deal! Skip the cardio like running or bike riding (you can do sprints if you like, but actual resistance training, ie. "lifting heavy things" is a must). Building muscle mass is extremely helpful in maintaining a proper weight, and you'll never lose more weight doing this kind of training.

Hope this helps!

I am having some trouble with this delightful diet: Weight gain.
I have gone from about 112lb to about 150lb. Clothes don't fit and I am getting pretty uncomfortable, body size-wise. I remain in strong ketosis, according to urine dip sticks.
FYI my weight history has been all over the place.
About 6 years ago I went from 238 to 112 using hcg diet. That's a size 22 to a size 4. I'm 5'4", small in frame. I maintained pretty easily as long as I stayed off carbs.
I very recently (2-3 weeks ago) added a bit of Xylitol in my coffee as I heard it had some anti-parasitic effects.
Help? Anyone else having this problem? I feel great otherwise, just getting scared/concerned.

Yupo said:
I have gone from about 112lb to about 150lb. Clothes don't fit and I am getting pretty uncomfortable, body size-wise. I remain in strong ketosis, according to urine dip sticks.
About 6 years ago I went from 238 to 112 using hcg diet. That's a size 22 to a size 4. I'm 5'4", small in frame. I maintained pretty easily as long as I stayed off carbs.
I very recently (2-3 weeks ago) added a bit of Xylitol in my coffee as I heard it had some anti-parasitic effects.
Help? Anyone else having this problem? I feel great otherwise, just getting scared/concerned.

The urine keto sticks aren't the best indicator for Ketosis, as the theory goes that when a person is finally fully in ketosis, the ketones are being utilized and thus, not excreted in urine. For a more accurate view, you may want to check out a blood ketone measuring device like this one:

_http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Glucose-Ketone-Monitoring-System/dp/B008UZVLM8/

The ketone measuring strips aren't included--it looks like they have some compatible ones for $30/ten strips. Unfortunately it's a relatively expensive way to determine your ketosis levels, but it's the best I'm aware of.

Transitioning to ketosis can be challenging and going too quickly can cause issues, so it may be the case that the transition has been too fast and may be too hard on your body and it's responding with inflammation (which could cause weight gain), in which case adding in some safe starches (some root veggies like sweet potatoes and possibly instant mashed potatoes, which have had all the damaging substances that are present in nightshades removed, are good sources) could help.

If you're consuming any dairy (except butter and ghee, although some can't tolerate those either), then it'd probably be best to cut that out and see if that helps. Here's just one of many articles on the problems with dairy:

http://www.sott.net/article/225467-Why-Milk-Is-So-Evil

It may also be worth experimenting with coconut products--either removing them if you're eating them now to see if you're having a reaction to them, or adding in coconut oil as the MCTs are supposed to speed up metabolism.

Excess adipose tissue (fat) beyond the body's normal amount (which can be hard to determine) can often be caused by inflammation, as I mentioned above, and also is one of the body's defense mechanisms against a toxic load, as a storehouse for toxins of various types, to ensure that the organs are protected from them. To treat the inflammation aspect, I personally have found Krill Oil to be the best tool and I lost quite a bit of weight while I was taking it for some pretty severe inflammation that included weight gain. There's a thread on it here:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,37359.0.html

In my experience, it was significantly more powerful than fish oil. The inflammation I had felt like my organs were drowning. Turmeric (and possibly curcumin, which is the primary compound in Turmeric) is another potent anti-inflammatory, though they deal with inflammation differently and I think it may depend on the type or cause of the inflammation that determines which is best. I wouldn't say there's any harm in trying both, so that's an option too, and turneric is pretty easy to integrate into a lot of meals.

For toxic load, you could look into various detoxing substances and methods. Supplements like ALA, NAC, Iodine, activated charcoal, and others can be helpful. Iodine is also helpful if the weight gain is related to low thyroid function, so that might be double worth looking into. There's a thread on it here:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,13371.0.html

There are also FIR (Far Infrared) saunas that stimulate mitochondrial energy production and can aid in detoxing that way. They're often marketed as "slimming" or "fat loss" tools and they do so by helping the body to eliminate toxins.

Xylitol is generally a bio-film dissolver and anti-bacterial, but I haven't read about it doing much with parasites or other pathogens, so while it may be helpful if consumed, I don't think it'll make much progress on any potential pathogens you may have. To pursue that avenue, there are a couple of threads here:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,39625.0.html
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,38053.0.html

I personally have used neem with great results for mold and some pathogens, so that might also be worth looking into. There's an article on neem here:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,39625.0.html

I'd say probably the best and safest approach would be to try the anti-inflammatories and some detoxing supplements (maybe a FIR sauna as well) as a starting point before attempting to get rid of critters, as the body should be functioning well before attempting to get rid of any pathogens, to be able to detox what they leave behind. In my experience, getting rid of pathogens can also be quite emotionally challenging, so having a good baseline of health can be really helpful in dealing with that--detoxing can have a similar effect, but I'd say it's generally an easier process. If you haven't been in ketosis very long and the weigh gain is correlated with that, it may also be worth adding back in some safe starches at this point too.

Good luck! :)

Yupo said:

You, and probably many others, may need to supplement with significant iodine. See the Iodine/Potassium Iodide thread and the Arthritis as Infection thread.

Others have had the same problem and it seems that the critters that have colonized our bodies can convert to using ketones and begin to thrive again. Having done the brutal antibiotic protocol, I'm thinking that peeps ought to try the iodine protocol before going that route. It just may be that it is the problem of the microbe vs. the terrain. If the terrain becomes inhospitable, the microbes will die.

Wow, lots of helpful information. Thanks!
Much studying to do this evening.

The bit about feeling like organs are drowning: Exactly!
OTOH, might simply be my suddenly too tight brassiere.

dugdeep said:
Laura said:
Session Date: July 26th 2014

Q: (dugdeep) We were wondering about why these skinny people seem to lose what seems like too much weight. Is it necessary for them to keep a certain amount of insulin raised in order to not lose too much weight? Or can that be countered by eating more fat?

A: More fat. Insulin causes stress to the body across the board.

I know it may be hard to believe, kanander, but if you're losing too much weight, you're probably not eating enough fat. Are you doing fat bombs or some kind of fatty beverage (butter tea, butter cocoa or, if your gut is properly healed, butter coffee)? Extra fat in your broth? The simple fact is, it's really easy to go too low on your calories when you're in ketosis, if you're not replacing all the carbs you used to eat with enough fat. It's also easy to fall into the trap of not realizing how much fat is actually needed to successfully maintain your energy requirements. It really is a stupendous amount of fat!

In regards to exercise - resistance training helps a great deal! Skip the cardio like running or bike riding (you can do sprints if you like, but actual resistance training, ie. "lifting heavy things" is a must). Building muscle mass is extremely helpful in maintaining a proper weight, and you'll never lose more weight doing this kind of training.

Hope this helps!

Hi dugdeep,
thanks for the reply. Yes I do fat bombs every weeks. I use Gaby's 2 servings version as my basis (for 2 days ).

monotonic said:
Well, that one is missing the instructions, but I went back through the thread to find the original recipe.

I don't want to risk 24 eggs just yet, so how would you suggest to make smaller portions for experiments?

I did it by cross-multiplication for the coconut custard recipe, haven't done it for the lard one though. If I did the math correctly (:P), it looks like this for 2 servings:

2 servings version

4 egg yolks
100 grams of butter
200ml or 1 cup of coconut milk
3 tablespoons of coconut oil
2 teaspoons of gelatin
2 rounded teaspoons or xylitol
Dash of vanilla-liquid and/or powder
3 tablespoons of shredded coconut if desired.
[/quote]

As for the broth, I usually add some butter in it while cooking. more tasty ! ;)

Below are my latest reading with the meter. These were taken 1-2 hours before or after a meal.

ket: 0.3mmol/L
Gly:5.4mmol/L
09.11.2015 10:00

ket: 0.7mmol/L
Gly: 5.2mmol/L
09.11.2015 15:30

Ket: 0.9mmol/L
Gly: 4.6mmol/L
10.11.2015 12:07

dugdeep said:

Hope this helps!

In this case, the home trainer is exactly what I need ! Thanks ! :thup:
Thanks a lot for your thought dugdeep, need to put these into practice now :D

Back
Top Bottom