Melatonin

i've only used a 1mg dose. I tend to be cautious about these things, even with melatonin! anyway, that was enough to re-establish disrupted sleeping patterns, and also I think I had more vivid dreams.

I don't normally have serious sleeping problems to fix though, and I guess at that kind of level of dose it is possibly working just as a placebo.

I guess that's why they call you Sleepyvinny! Actually 1 mg is much more than a placebo. But your body produces less melatonin as you get older. I recently upped my dose from 1 to 3 mg and I am sleeping deeply.

The advice I read was to take enough to sleep deeply and not enough to be too groggy in the morning. My gut feeling is also that it is best to take the same amount every night and not vary. It regulates the circadian rhythm and the more regular the better, OSIT (I am trying not to use IMO anymore).

sleepyvinny said:
i've only used a 1mg dose. I tend to be cautious about these things, even with melatonin! anyway, that was enough to re-establish disrupted sleeping patterns, and also I think I had more vivid dreams.

I don't normally have serious sleeping problems to fix though, and I guess at that kind of level of dose it is possibly working just as a placebo.

DonaldJHunt said:
The advice I read was to take enough to sleep deeply and not enough to be too groggy in the morning. My gut feeling is also that it is best to take the same amount every night and not vary. It regulates the circadian rhythm and the more regular the better, OSIT (I am trying not to use IMO anymore).
I have Source Natural's sublingual kind, in 2.5mg that I've been taking regularly even tho I still wake up multiple times during the night. Last night I tried taking TWO of the 2.5 (for a total of 5 mg I guess) and I still woke up several times, but this time it was harder to get back to sleep.

Go figure.

Taking Melatonin in 3mg tablets about an hour before bedtime is usually the recommended dosage on the bottle-some folks are more tolerant apparently (the posters taking 20 mg or more-oh my!!) perhaps based on metabolism and body weight. If a little will do stick with the lower dosage.

I have taken it and my experiences have been mixed-some erotic dreams, vivid dreams-but I don't need Melatonin for those-they come naturally-but the most profound experience is a feeling of paranoia. The substance seems to give me a very heightened sense of "something is here in the room with me-and it is watching me"and I can almost seem to hear or feel something "crawling" around in my head. Really creepy feeling. Whether or not this is part of seeing into higher realms I cannot say-but I have not ever hallucinated from taking it.

I have used Valerian root to help me sleep with success-take one or two capsules and hour or so before bed and it will relax you and allow you to drop off-and no groggy hangover next day (at least in my experience)-you can also make it into a tea-but it smells kind of funky-a very pungent, earthy odor, which some may find offensive-and how that would taste as a tea-well.

St. John's Wort also can be a gentle de-stresser-I have used it for depression and it works well, but you might need to take it for a few weeks to notice the results. I am very sensitive to any anti-depressant and notice it's effect almost immediately-and I have taken many different kinds and like none of them.

Vistiril as a prescription sleepaid really knocks me out-one little 10mg capsule and I am out for the night. Make sure you can get a full 7-8 hours in though or you might feel a little spaced out next day. But I normally wake up feeling awesome, really refreshed. It is prescibed as an anti-anxiety drug (for me anyway) but if I tried taking this during the day for that I would be found asleep at my desk!

Taking Melatonin or any like substance should be done with caution-after all you are tinkering with your brain chemistry-and I believe it was Ryan that provided a link to an article on Melatonin that kind of suggested this might allow 4D to gain BETTER control? Anything that can give THEM an advantage need be given a wide berth-as if they actually need any help.

tschai said:
Taking Melatonin or any like substance should be done with caution-after all you are tinkering with your brain chemistry-and I believe it was Ryan that provided a link to an article on Melatonin that kind of suggested this might allow 4D to gain BETTER control? Anything that can give THEM an advantage need be given a wide berth-as if they actually need any help.
Actually, melatonin is already a natural part of your 'brain chemistry' so while you would be temporarily increasing levels, I'm not sure that 'tinkering' really applies in this case - also, could you link the information that indicates that melatonin 'might allow 4D to gain better control'? I'm not finding that anywhere and am wondering if you might be misled on that one. If not, it's something we should know.

anart said:
Actually, melatonin is already a natural part of your 'brain chemistry' so while you would be temporarily increasing levels, I'm not sure that 'tinkering' really applies in this case - also, could you link the information that indicates that melatonin 'might allow 4D to gain better control'? I'm not finding that anywhere and am wondering if you might be misled on that one. If not, it's something we should know.
I think I know what he may be referring to, I remember reading something in the transcripts but I believe it was about melatonin opening you up to or helping to facilitate, ugg, can't remember... DNA changes?

If somebody can search the transcripts for "melatonin" they'd find it...

Yes, Adpop posted the relevant transcripts earlier in this thread:

Adpop said:
The C's on melatonin:

Session 941028:
Q: (L) Why should we take the Melatonin?
A: Is mild hallucinogen.
Q: (L) Why do we need this?
A: Keeps exercising psychic abilities and opens paths. Don't
be alarmed by vividly erotic dreams.
Q: (L) Should we expect to have vividly erotic dreams?
A: Possible as psyche passes through levels on ascension.

Session 941116:
Q: (L) When L*** took the Melatonin the other night, how
come he was unable to sleep?
A: Adjusting to the melatonin.

Session 941119:
Q: (T) I have not been remembering most of my dreams.
A: Try melatonin; avoid any antidepressants. Some have
suggested.

Session 960609
Q: (L) Why does melatonin induce these openings?
A: Gentle hallucinogen.
Q: (L) SV's mother took it and got all discombobulated with
it!
A: Perception is key. If you really "dig" 3rd density, it makes
you uncomfortable to see into the higher densities.
Q: (L) Can one use something like this and grow accustomed
to the higher densities?
A: Ask Timothy Leary.
But - no mention of the 'better control over' aspect....

I think this might be what you are referring to.
http://www.cassiopaea.org/cass/delgado2.htm
article said:
Melatonin is the molecule responsible for sleep paralysis by reducing levels of DHEA so that areas of the brain except for the autonomic functions are shut down. The brain holds high densities of receptors for DHEA. The densities are sparse in the lower brainstem areas controlling cardiovascular and respiratory functions. This means that these most important functions require little DHEA to remain active. By this theory, you should be able to introduce Melatonin into a human being which will reduce prolactin production which will reduce DHEA which will shut down the nervous system except for the autonomic functions. In other words, you can bring on sleep paralysis in a human being, rendering them helpless without killing them. For a person just being awakened from sleep it would make sense that you would require a smaller amount of Melatonin to return them to sleep or sleep paralysis. (This would account for the grogginess that many people feel upon waking up. They have not used up their levels of Melatonin).

It is our suggestion that this is how the aliens are accomplishing the paralysis that abductees experience at the point of being abducted. But how would the aliens introduce a level of Melatonin into the body to cause sleep paralysis? A powder? A gas? Direct absorption through the skin? Melatonin is available as an over the counter pill, but we highly doubt the aliens would introduce it to an abductee orally. Or are the implants that some abductees say have been put in them a mechanical means of triggering the production of Melatonin to render an abductee helpless? These are questions still to be answered. I lean towards the idea that the implants (or one use for them) is the triggering of Melatonin release into the blood stream. The aliens would remotely (from where they stood) be able to set the implant off which would render the victim paralyzed.

There is something else, if Melatonin is the method used to cause paralysis in abduction victims it may also be the key to the aliens' ability to calm abductees when they become excited. Exercise or getting excited has been shown to increase levels of DHEA. If Melatonin were then increased would the person become calmer and fatigued? I think so. Howard describes Melatonin as "our natural narcotic." A study done to test melatonin's ability to induce sleep reported this: "These data indicate that orally administered Melatonin can be a highly potent hypnotic agent."
article said:
Is melatonin safe?

Melatonin is one of the least toxic substances known. People have taken as much as 6 grams (600 to 3000 times the normal dosage) of the substance in carefully monitored studies with no sign of toxicity. Only four complaints regarding melatonin have been report to the FDA (USA's Food and Drug Administration). The only consistent side effect of high doses has been drowsiness and a slower reaction time. In the most extensive clinical trial to date a high dose of 75 milligrams of melatonin per day was given to 1400 women in the Netherlands for up to four years with no ill effects. The FDA reports that in the more than two years melatonin has been available for sale over-the-counter in the United States, no alarming side effects have been reported.
edit: pardon my slow posting :)

20mg is nothing compared to the statement below of 75mg for 4years! wow

In the most extensive clinical trial to date a high dose of 75 milligrams of melatonin per day was given to 1400 women in the Netherlands for up to four years with no ill effects.

from Newsweek

anart said:
tschai said:
Rhansen has found the correct link (Thanks Rhansen!) that suggests that taking Melatonin might help the beasties nip folks away and that is what I was referring to-and artificially increasing the level of nuerotransmitters in the brain without knowing how it might affect us is definetely "tinkering"-even though only temporarily. The use of the word "tinkering" is not that important-what I am saying is that folks need to be cautious-and what works for one does not work for all.

The effect may NOT be the same-perhaps only for individuals that are at that point where their frequency will allow them to experience an elevation in mental acuity will have any profound results-and if there might be some under lying undiagnosed medical problem- taking a substance which effects the natural levels of something in the brain might trigger something unexpected (instead of reaching higher realms you might end up in hospital-yelling "GET THEM OFF!! GET THEM OFF!!! OH MY GAWD!!!) an extreme and most unlkely scenario-but why chance such a thing?

Agreed? ;)

Yep, I see what you were saying and where it came from, so thanks for the clarification.

It seems that there is very little sound scientific eveidence on additional effects of melatonin i.e. prolonging life, antioxidant properties, enhancing immune system etc.
Most of the websites that promote melatonine as having all these propeties are the websites of very producers of the melatonin preparation.

The only site which I would take as a credible scientific reference, so far would be
the site of sleeping foundation
http://www.sleepfoundation.org/sleeplibrary/index.php?id=60

my personal experience is following...

As only 3mg preparation was available localy I took only half i.e. 1,5 mg (whic is still much bigger qyuantity then the dose normaly produced in our bodies)

contrary to most people here I experienced terrible night, with interrupted and very light sleep,
and a woke up quite exhausted

as these are usually the symptoms of overdosing and people experince them at higher doses of 5mg and over it led me to belive that I really never needed melatonin in the first place as my body probably produces sufficient quantities

everyone porbably has to establish for themselves, as far as I am concerned this is where my experience with melatonin supplement stops, at least for next 5-10 years.

Since the bottle I purchased now has 59 1/2 instead of 60 3mg tablets and it wasnt very cheap to start with I am reluctant to just throw it away.
Therefore if someone needs melatonin regularly I will be more then happy to give it away, just let me know

There are most likely lots of variations between individuals in how much they already produce. And, as you age, your body produces much less. But I have known people who continue to sleep really deeply as they get older (a whole family), so you are probably right that you already produce enough.

Deckard said:
my personal experience is following...

As only 3mg preparation was available localy I took only half i.e. 1,5 mg (whic is still much bigger qyuantity then the dose normaly produced in our bodies)

contrary to most people here I experienced terrible night, with interrupted and very light sleep,
and a woke up quite exhausted

as these are usually the symptoms of overdosing and people experince them at higher doses of 5mg and over it led me to belive that I really never needed melatonin in the first place as my body probably produces sufficient quantities

everyone porbably has to establish for themselves, as far as I am concerned this is where my experience with melatonin supplement stops, at least for next 5-10 years.

More research on melatonin available as a PDF document. It discusses the original function of melatonin which was to serve as an antioxidant to protect organisms from ubiquitous oxidative stresses and also its effectiveness as a novel free radical scavenger and antioxidant. It goes through the variety of biologically activate metabolites which seems to explain why melatonin exhibits a variety of physiological functions. So it basically reviews the metabolism of melatonin (lots of references available)

An excerpt:
MINI REVIEW
One molecule, many derivatives: A never-ending interaction of
melatonin with reactive oxygen and nitrogen species?

J. Pineal Res. 2006

Introduction

Melatonin, a tryptophan derivative, was first isolated from bovine pineal glands and was structurally identified in 1958 [1]. Subsequently, melatonin was found to be a sleep promoter [2], a chemical signal of light and darkness (Zeitgeber) as well as a regulator of photoperiod-dependent seasonal reproduction in some vertebrates. Using the fluctuating endogenous melatonin signals, vertebrates synchronize both their circadian rhythms and their circannual reproductive activities [3, 4]. Thus, the daily and seasonally changing melatonin rhythms are involved in signaling time of day and time of year and, thus, they serve as a bioclock and a bio-calendar in vertebrates [5]. Melatonin is also a potent, endogenously produced and diet-derived free radical scavenger and broad-spectrum antioxidant [6, 7]. The pineal production of melatonin in vertebrates exhibits an unambiguous circadian rhythm with its peak near the middle of scotophase and basal levels during the photophase. The amount of melatonin produced by the pineal gland of mammals changes as animals age. The tendency is that pineal melatonin production wanes
with advanced age. In humans, melatonin production not only diminishes in the aged but also is significantly lower in many age-related diseases including Alzheimer's disease [8, 9] and cardiovascular disease [10-13]. Understanding the metabolism of melatonin will help to explain the multiple functions of melatonin in organisms.
The document is available here.

navigante said:
Melatonin, a tryptophan derivative
So, you can take melatonin to fall asleep. Or just eat turkey :P

Sorry, couldn't help myself :D

Back
Top Bottom