Smoking is... good?

Re: Smoking

CeLegacy said:
filters? what are its health benefits? is it addictive?
Search the forum, there are thousands of posts discussing these questions. Yes you can buy filters to use with
roll your owns. And yes, it's addictive.

If all one wants is the nicotine, why not use a patch or gum? Is there something else in there to be of benefit?

Yupo said:
If all one wants is the nicotine, why not use a patch or gum? Is there something else in there to be of benefit?
It's hard to say. There are other alkaloids in tobacco besides nicotine but much of the benefit comes from nicotine. I use patches for times when I can't smoke and they work well. The trick is getting the dosage right. I can't use gum because they all have aspartame in them. I'm waiting for them to come out with xylitol nicotine gum. Gum and patches can be expensive, too. The pharma companies are able to fix prices. Which is one reason they fund the anti smoking campaigns. They want us giving them money for tranquilizers, anti-depressants and so forth and not self medicating.

Maybe you both would like to watch this video:

https://youtu.be/0ZA8Ha4TwbA

It puts truth to the lies that have been propagated about smoking. Although, do remember that commercial cigarettes have a whole lot of chemicals and very little tobacco. So, as Mr. Premise said, it's better to get roll-your-own tobacco and roll it or smoke it in a pipe.

And, CeLegacy, note that not all people fit the profile of smokers. So if you don't want to smoke, then, don't. It may not be for you. :)

Mr. Premise said:
CeLegacy said:
Search the forum, there are thousands of posts discussing these questions. Yes you can buy filters to use with
Perhaps you could research what brand, papers and filter you think would be best for you and experiment with different strengths to see what would suit you personally. Let us know how you get on.

lainey said:
Mr. Premise said:
CeLegacy said:
Perhaps you could research what brand, papers and filter you think would be best for you and experiment with different strengths to see what would suit you personally. Let us know how you get on.

It sounds helpful, but I'd rather just stick without it if it's addictive. I think neck exercises https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9sIBURIDUg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW5dx01ys4o https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FglNvoZfna4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiThbcWaNyI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDWLEH-ZHkk along with other stretches in the morning followed by the EE program into going gym is helping a lot. Those neck and shoulder exercises have REALLY helped my vagal nerves strengthen, and I thank Buddy for the reply that brought it up that then reminded me to do these which I used to do daily between May and July when I first went Paleo. My confidence and happiness was really high in that time and I had no clue about diaphragm breathing either!

Buddy said:
In that case, I recommend adding some head-neck rotations to your exercise work to strengthen the neck and throat muscles while gaining flexibility as well. Wishing you best practices! :)

Maybe some time I'll give it one go. If I do then it's an organic additive-free tobacco, and uh, organic hemp paper? For filters I still don't know what filters are good and bad, those small balls don't look chemical free.

A lot of people use Raw roaches. It's again hemp based card that you roll into a roach/filter. No chemicals, also you get a better 'hit' from your smoke. There are afew chemical free filters out there, but I've never tried them.

Huxley said:
A lot of people use Raw roaches. It's again hemp based card that you roll into a roach/filter. No chemicals, also you get a better 'hit' from your smoke. There are afew chemical free filters out there, but I've never tried them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Filter-booklets-roaches-Originals-ITK_TRADE/dp/B008XL0TWW

Here is what they look like, sorry.

One of many things that has concerned me about smoking is the size of the cigarettes. As I am not a smoker, I don't know much about dosing of tobacco.
I have seen some people use smoking contraptions with water reservoirs for other botanical substances. It seems like for small doses, this might be a cleaner way to go. No papers or adhesive gums, or re-smoking older smoke residue.
I remain very curious about using tobacco.
Anyone have thoughts on at what point they became addicted?
How much, how often might be under this addictive use level?
Or does one need this much to get full benefit?

One thing I have seen over and over, anecdotally (but not in literature) is the case of someone quitting, then soon after, succumbing to lung cancer. I imagine (but do not know that) the malignancy was there all along, but there was some tumor suppression from the smoking.

Yupo said:
One of many things that has concerned me about smoking is the size of the cigarettes. As I am not a smoker, I don't know much about dosing of tobacco.
I have seen some people use smoking contraptions with water reservoirs for other botanical substances. It seems like for small doses, this might be a cleaner way to go. No papers or adhesive gums, or re-smoking older smoke residue.
I remain very curious about using tobacco.
How much, how often might be under this addictive use level?
Or does one need this much to get full benefit?

One thing I have seen over and over, anecdotally (but not in literature) is the case of someone quitting, then soon after, succumbing to lung cancer. I imagine (but do not know that) the malignancy was there all along, but there was some tumor suppression from the smoking.

Im pretty sure people smoke different amounts, and enjoy different strength tobacco's. So it would be a matter of testing it yourself to judge.
Starting off, it wasnt the most enjoyable for myself and i got quite bait of 'nicotine rush' (as we call it in the UK). So it can take awhile for you to get used to smoking itself. I would say that when i became 'addicted' is when i got used to smoking and began to savoir and enjoy each smoke. But if you can imagine inhaling smoke not being the best option for you, you could try a pipe?
As for clean smoke, the best ive got is Hemp papers with natural chemical free filters and i have never had any negative effects from smoking with them. But when i have a normal, thicker, bleached paper i can feel the difference instantly - alot more ash and 'burn off' is given. It is not pleasant in comparison.

Well i could imagine the smoking was protecting them from the other carcinogenic chemicals out in the air and when they stopped it slipped up. But Id like to see some others comments on that idea also.

I am someone who one can call a big smoker since I'm 14 years old. Several years ago, I quit cold turkey (to make a long story short, this leads me to take antidepressants which I quit when I have started to smoke again). It seems to me that the "addiction" has in fact more to do with gesture habits etc than the product itself. For example, even now, if I am in a totally different environment, I am not obsessed with the idea of smoking (IF the conditions are not stressfull). It's the habit that rhythms the day that was more difficult to battle of in my opinion.

Don't know if others have the same feeling but I tend to think that the so-called addiction power of nicotine is usurped. (Maybe a "detail" of very big importance regarding this question is the fact that I smoke additives free tobacco since long)

Maat said:
Don't know if others have the same feeling but I tend to think that the so-called addiction power of nicotine is usurped. (Maybe a "detail" of very big importance regarding this question is the fact that I smoke additives free tobacco since long)

Not me.
I have start smoking 3 years ago at the age of 35. One year later I did quit because of a chirugical intervension on one finger. I felt no symptoms during the 4 first days. After that it was very stressful during all the time of the quiting (1 month and a half).
Smoked only additives free tabacco.

My 2 cents.

I recently had a breif discussion with my Doctor about cigarrettes. I was trying to say how i feel the chemicals given off during combustion was negligable while he disagreed. He brought up a great idea i think though and that is to use a vaporizer. Like those big ones you can buy at the head shops.

davey72 said:
I recently had a breif discussion with my Doctor about cigarrettes. I was trying to say how i feel the chemicals given off during combustion was negligable while he disagreed. He brought up a great idea i think though and that is to use a vaporizer. Like those big ones you can buy at the head shops.

I'm sure you are talking about organic blends and not commercial, cause commercial cig additives would make them more toxic during combustion, such as the fire retardants alone coated on the paper.

Fwiw, I never discuss smoking with physicians even if asked - you might as well paddle up-steam on a river, at least on a river you might make some progress. ;)

You are certainly right but i was only adding for context. the idea really being how others feel about these vaporizers. They do seem to make sense.

Back
Top Bottom