Smoking is... good?

davey72 said:
You are certainly right but i was only adding for context. the idea really being how others feel about these vaporizers. They do seem to make sense.
I've read some really bad things about vaporizers, so maybe you should stick with smoking.

davey72 said:
I recently had a breif discussion with my Doctor about cigarrettes. I was trying to say how i feel the chemicals given off during combustion was negligable while he disagreed. He brought up a great idea i think though and that is to use a vaporizer. Like those big ones you can buy at the head shops.

It seems that your doctors status has won you over and made you think differently about smoking because he is meant to be looking out for your health. What you have to remember is the huge anti smoking campaign that has been going on all over the world. If you are starting to question your motives for smoking, i would suggest to do some more Forum research to re-cap why people here smoke. There is plenty of great sott articles and even C's transcripts that discuss smoking.

davey72 said:
You are certainly right but i was only adding for context. the idea really being how others feel about these vaporizers. They do seem to make sense.

As for vaporizers, if you mean the liquid E-Cig's that have blown up over the past few years? These have been discussed somewhat in this post already on peoples views and experiences in this topic.
If you are referring to the vaporizers that have a electric heated coil to burn the tobacco, then i havnt seen much information about them overall.

Overall it would be alot easier to sensor yourself with smoking when you speak to doctors. It is a serious red flag that just leads them to look down their nose at you.

Huxley said:
Overall it would be alot easier to sensor yourself with smoking when you speak to doctors. It is a serious red flag that just leads them to look down their nose at you.

This is very true! Once most doctors know you are a smoker, then, all of your health issues are assumed to be because you smoke and they look no further for real causes.

As a rule, I always answer "no I don't smoke" on any forms at the doctor, dentist, etc... I recently did an eye exam on a general practitioner - right after lunch. He must have smelled smoke on me. When I finished with his exam, he said, " I hope you don't mind, but I just cannot turn off my professional knowledge, and I'd like to know how much you smoke!" I said "plenty". Then he proceeded to tell me that my "breathing" alerted him that I most likely had emphysema! Yeah right. I told him "I'd check into it". :rolleyes:

Nienna said:
Huxley said:

This is very true! Once most doctors know you are a smoker, then, all of your health issues are assumed to be because you smoke and they look no further for real causes.

I agree. It's like the doctor's brain shuts off once you reveal that you're a smoker and they assume that any issue you have is related to smoking.

Have you listed to the Health & Wellness Show's interview with Richard White? This very thing is discussed as well as a very thorough debunking of the research that connects smoking to cancer, COPD etc.

Huxley said:
davey72 said:
I recently had a breif discussion with my Doctor about cigarrettes. I was trying to say how i feel the chemicals given off during combustion was negligable while he disagreed. He brought up a great idea i think though and that is to use a vaporizer. Like those big ones you can buy at the head shops.

It seems that your doctors status has won you over and made you think differently about smoking because he is meant to be looking out for your health. What you have to remember is the huge anti smoking campaign that has been going on all over the world. If you are starting to question your motives for smoking, i would suggest to do some more Forum research to re-cap why people here smoke. There is plenty of great sott articles and even C's transcripts that discuss smoking.

davey72 said:

As for vaporizers, if you mean the liquid E-Cig's that have blown up over the past few years? These have been discussed somewhat in this post already on peoples views and experiences in this topic.
If you are referring to the vaporizers that have a electric heated coil to burn the tobacco, then i havnt seen much information about them overall.

Electric coil vaporizers won't work with tobacco because the melting point of nicotine is too high. The leaves would also combust, then it wouldn't be a vaporizer. They only work with the other popular smoking material.

Huxley said:
davey72 said:

davey72 said:

My apologies as i wasnt clear. My Doctor didnt win me over. In fact i was vainly trying to bring him around or i guess more so start a seed in him. I have been sending him sott articles. He says he enjoys reading them. anyways i had meant the big vaporizers as they contain none of the carcinogenic compounds that are produced with any type of smoke.

Edit: I should have also stated that we have a differnt relationship than most Doctor patients. and Mr Premise i just read your reply. I guess that ends it right there.

Lilou said:
Then he proceeded to tell me that my "breathing" alerted him that I most likely had emphysema! Yeah right. I told him "I'd check into it". :rolleyes:

If you're used to pipe breathing from EE, he may have noticed you doing that at some point. My question is, does he just pretend to be more open-minded then he really is, in order to keep you as a patient and have a more successful business in general?

I just saw this article on MSN News:
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/man-left-with-hole-in-lung-after-e-cigarette-spits-out-burning-nicotine/ar-BBmiD5r?li=AAaeUIW&ocid=ASUDHP
I can't copy and paste the text here but basically it looks like the man had a faulty E-Cig which started spitting out the hot nicotine which burnt a hole in his lung. He was admitted to hospital twice and the nurses said his lung was working at 25% capacity.
A good reason to stick with patches of someone doesn't want to smoke cigartettes.

Thought to offer a few photos of how the tobacco process went this year - all lessons figuring things out:

The following photo's illustrate a couple of the stages. Generally, the tobacco grew well in one of the Gardens (of three) and reached height of a good 8ft. Here you can also see the plants in the flowering stage which were then covered up with plastic type bags. After harvesting, the leaves were stripped and put on the top of the rack shown for sorting. Once sorted they were tied together in bundles and left to air-dry (all of September and some of October) in the environment until freezing weather required they be brought in during the curing phase.

Once inside (no photo), they were hung on vertical racks from the ceiling to continue the curing process - added RH (moisture) and fans to keep the air moving.

The last photo here is after the leaves had cured (and they became dry) and I could not while inside the shop get the moisture high enough. So here is one batch of leaves hanging outside -15 Celsius for 48 hours. Thereafter, had to bring a makeshift rack up to the deck with good reason. After leaving the leaves outside for the curing process (from Sept/Oct), nothing ever happened to the plants. When the first batch was in the re-moisturizing stage at ground level, all was fine for the first 24 hours. The next morning the dogs were barking and later it was understood at what. When I went to collect the tobacco to then sort and bag, the local Deer had beat me to it. The Deer had managed to crop-off near 30% of what was then hanging.

Anyway, thereafter this location adjustment, the tobacco was moisturized, sorted and bagged and is now laying to further develop. So learned a great deal more this year - things to do and not do; including trusting Deer, who I now know are partial to tobacco. Hopefully will get another go at it next year.

Attachments

• Tobacco Garden.jpg
    Tobacco Garden.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 203
  • Tobacco Flower.jpg
    Tobacco Flower.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 199
  • Tobacco on the curing rack.jpg
    Tobacco on the curing rack.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 194
  • Adding RH to Tobacco.jpg
    Adding RH to Tobacco.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 191
Seems to be looking good, voyageur. Thanks for sharing. I'm probably going to try growing Rustica next year. If I do, I'll post how it went.

8 feet! I've never seen tobacco grow this large. What variety did you plant?
I am getting my side yard ready to plant with tobacco in the spring.
I have a hot attic over my garage to use for curing.
I'm collecting old curing sticks for the hanging process.

Yupo said:
8 feet! I've never seen tobacco grow this large. What variety did you plant?
I am getting my side yard ready to plant with tobacco in the spring.
I have a hot attic over my garage to use for curing.
I'm collecting old curing sticks for the hanging process.

I actually germinated at least a dozen or more varieties, so you can see some are smaller in the picture and the tall ones shown ended up outreaching my reach, and were a combination I think of of Big Guam, Virginia Gold types and a couple of others. Others were Rustica, Burley, Pryor, Turkish etc.

Good luck in the spring!

Keep planting the tobacco ..... This Nepalese woman "rolls her own" and I imagine a simple diet and exercise has helped her longevity?

112-Year-Old Woman Who Has Smoked 30 Cigarettes A Day for 95 YEARS (Photo)
http://news.yahoo.com/meet-the-112-year-old-woman-who-has-smoked-30-084625858.html

A woman who is 112 years old credits reaching her age to smoking 30 cigarettes a day for 95 years.

Batuli Lamichhane took up the habit when she was 17 years old and hasn’t stopped since.

Born in March 1903, the Nepalese woman said smoking had helped her outlive everyone else in her village, including almost all of her own children.

“I don’t really care how old I am,” she said.

“But I am old nonetheless. I have seen a lot of things change during my lifetime.

“I have been smoking for over 95 years. There is nothing wrong with smoking.”

But Ms Lamichhane hasn’t been smoking commercially made cigarettes - she smokes handmade “beedis” - tobacco wrapped in tendu leaf.

The roof of Ms Lamichhane’s house caved in recently following an earthquake, but she refuses to be relocated, and lives off donations from a nearby Hindu temple.

“People of this modern age have too much stress,” she said.

“And those who do not work or are idle in their old age won’t live long. So you have to be active and stress free.

“You should always be happy, then you will live a long life.”

It seems the gum on the papers tend to make me sick (dizziness, nausea) and causing a lot of harshness. This seems to improve the flavor a lot, and makes it possible for me to get through the whole thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8sq43MtHiw

Back
Top Bottom