Smoking is... good?

monotonic said:
It seems the gum on the papers tend to make me sick (dizziness, nausea) and causing a lot of harshness. This seems to improve the flavor a lot, and makes it possible for me to get through the whole thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8sq43MtHiw

MAybe you should try smoking a pipe instead. Far more relaxing, much better tasting tobacco and all round a very pleasant experience. If you are interested, let me know and I will mail you a pipe to start you off

Just heard something interesting. Perhaps it's a common knowledge, but never heard of it before.

As it happens, my new roommate is doing research on the topic of cigarette smoke and how, or if it affects white blood cells and leads to a production of cytokines. So far she was unsuccessful, but mainly because her entire cell culture, including the control have died. Something to do with freezing and thawing, etc.

But that is not what's interesting. When I asked her about the details of the experiment and how exactly she applies this cigarette smoke on cells, she told me that there is a liquid smoke produced by some American company that is being used by all the laboratories in the world and in all their research on smoking. Ok, but then I explained to her the difference between the commercial cigarettes and organic tobacco, and asked if she knows where this liquid smoke has come from. She couldn't answer me. She just told me that since all the laboratories are using it, then it must be ok. Yep. :cool2:

Keit said:
But that is not what's interesting. When I asked her about the details of the experiment and how exactly she applies this cigarette smoke on cells, she told me that there is a liquid smoke produced by some American company that is being used by all the laboratories in the world and in all their research on smoking. Ok, but then I explained to her the difference between the commercial cigarettes and organic tobacco, and asked if she knows where this liquid smoke has come from. She couldn't answer me. She just told me that since all the laboratories are using it, then it must be ok. Yep. :cool2:

Hi Keit
That is very interesting. I'd be really interested in any data you can dredge up on what the product is and who makes it. Sounds like the way they can force their junk science to produce the answers they want. When they are not just making it up, that is

Flashgordonv said:
Hi Keit
That is very interesting. I'd be really interested in any data you can dredge up on what the product is and who makes it. Sounds like the way they can force their junk science to produce the answers they want. When they are not just making it up, that is

Sure, will ask her for the info.

Flashgordonv said:
MAybe you should try smoking a pipe instead. Far more relaxing, much better tasting tobacco and all round a very pleasant experience. If you are interested, let me know and I will mail you a pipe to start you off

Thanks for the offer, but I do use a pipe already so can't accept. One of the reasons I started using the pipe was because of how bland or harsh the cigarettes seem to be. After removing the gum that is not such a problem. Sometimes I prefer a cigarette because the pipe can be very harsh and very difficult to troubleshoot.

It might be the cut of the tobacco you're smoking in the pipe. Besides the quality of the tobacco in general (and how dry it is, etc.), if it's cut too fine, I've found it tends to be on the harsh side in a pipe (like fine cut roll-your-own). You'll notice pipe tobacco is cut much coarser. Just a thought.

monotonic said:
Flashgordonv said:

Thanks for the offer, but I do use a pipe already so can't accept. One of the reasons I started using the pipe was because of how bland or harsh the cigarettes seem to be. After removing the gum that is not such a problem. Sometimes I prefer a cigarette because the pipe can be very harsh and very difficult to troubleshoot.

Sometimes a too harsh smoke can be because the tobacco is burning to hot. That may not be the case for you, but I thought I'd mention it.

I found a really good video on how to pack and smoke a pipe. I've found the tamping while smoking to be one of the keys in a smooth smoke. The other is in how you pack the pipe. Both are covered in this video.

The video is below:

https://youtu.be/-Cqg6TBCIT4

Even cigarettes can be harsh for no apparent reason. It seems to partly be luck.

In the video he demonstrates well that if you disturb the ash very much you'll eventually inhale some of it which is something I avoid. I started using cigarette tobacco in the pipe which seems to be fine if you just pack it much harder.

Keit said:

So the company that produces it is called Murty Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

The name of the substance is called CSC (cigarette smoke condensate), sometimes called CSE (cigarette smoke extract).

Here's an example of one research paper that used the same substance and describes more in detail in treatment protocol what it is exactly.

Cigarette smoke extract (CSE) was obtained from Murty Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Lexington, KY. CSE is 40mg/ml condensate, and 6% nicotine. According to the manufacturer, CSE is prepared by smoking University of Kentucky's 3R4F Standard Research Cigarettes on an FTC Smoke Machine. The smoke on the filter is calculated by the weight gain of the filter after smoking. The amount of DMSO is calculated that will dissolve a 4% (40mg/mL) solution. The extract was diluted in Dulbecco's Modified Eagle medium/Hams F12 (DMEM/F12).

Here's another paper that describes the same extract:
Cigarette Smoke Extract (CSE)/Cigarette smoke condensate (CSC)
CSE was purchased from Murty Pharmaceuticals, Lexington KY [5, 31]. According to the manufacturer CSE was produced by burning one University of Kentucky “1R13” cigarette and extracting the total particulate into 100% DMSO to prepare a 40 mg/ml stock solution. Cells were exposed to 50 μg/ml of the 40 mg/ml stock solution of cigarette smoke extract (CSE in 100% DMSO) suspended in Ham’s F-12 media. The control cells received the equivalent volume of DMSO devoid of CSE suspended in Ham’s F-12 media. Previously published reports using this material were followed [5, 31].

But notice that in these two papers, the code name of the "Standard Research Cigarette" is different.

Keit said:
Keit said:

So the company that produces it is called Murty Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

The name of the substance is called CSC (cigarette smoke condensate), sometimes called CSE (cigarette smoke extract).

Here's an example of one research paper that used the same substance and describes more in detail in treatment protocol what it is exactly.

Cigarette smoke extract (CSE) was obtained from Murty Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Lexington, KY. CSE is 40mg/ml condensate, and 6% nicotine. According to the manufacturer, CSE is prepared by smoking University of Kentucky's 3R4F Standard Research Cigarettes on an FTC Smoke Machine. The smoke on the filter is calculated by the weight gain of the filter after smoking. The amount of DMSO is calculated that will dissolve a 4% (40mg/mL) solution. The extract was diluted in Dulbecco's Modified Eagle medium/Hams F12 (DMEM/F12).

Here's another paper that describes the same extract:
Cigarette Smoke Extract (CSE)/Cigarette smoke condensate (CSC)
CSE was purchased from Murty Pharmaceuticals, Lexington KY [5, 31]. According to the manufacturer CSE was produced by burning one University of Kentucky “1R13” cigarette and extracting the total particulate into 100% DMSO to prepare a 40 mg/ml stock solution. Cells were exposed to 50 μg/ml of the 40 mg/ml stock solution of cigarette smoke extract (CSE in 100% DMSO) suspended in Ham’s F-12 media. The control cells received the equivalent volume of DMSO devoid of CSE suspended in Ham’s F-12 media. Previously published reports using this material were followed [5, 31].

But notice that in these two papers, the code name of the "Standard Research Cigarette" is different.

Many thanks Keit. Much appreciated.

monotonic said:
Even cigarettes can be harsh for no apparent reason. It seems to partly be luck.

In the video he demonstrates well that if you disturb the ash very much you'll eventually inhale some of it which is something I avoid. I started using cigarette tobacco in the pipe which seems to be fine if you just pack it much harder.

A couple of things make pipe smoke harsh:
1. The tobacco, particularly if you are using an aromatic tobacco and drawing very hard.
2. Trying to smoke the pipe the same way you smoke a cigarette. A pipe is not to sucked on as if it is a briar cigarette. If you do this, you will get tongue burn,the pipe will smoke very hot and gloopy and it will be a wet, gurgly smoke. The key to successfully smoking a pipe is to sip the smoke, gently, and not suck hard on it.
3. You do not need to inhale every breath of pipe smoke. Some pipe smokers do not inhale at all.
4. Using cigarette tobacco in a pipe. It is not cut correctly for use in a pipe and will not yield nearly as good a smoke as good quality pipe tobacco.
5. Not cleaning your pipe. How often do you clean your pipe and what method are you using? IMO you ought run a pipe cleaner through the pipe at least after each smoke and I break down the pipe once a week and give it a more thorough clean with everclear alcohol. Not cleaning the pipe will affect the taste of your smoke.

If possible don't sue the same pipe over and over. Try to rest the pipe for 24 hours between uses.

I've found that tightly rolled cigarettes smoke better when just rolled, but loose cigarettes have better flavor if they are allowed to dry for a day or so.

I tried giving up smoking yesterday... I smoke way to many maybe 40 a day, I even wake up through the night to have a quick puff to elavate my nicotine levels. Anyway yesterday I went all day without a ciggy - cold turkey and my brain broke down, got the time distortion you can get, mega brain fog, felt like I was high all day, broke last night after 20 hours yet my brain still hasn't recovered from the period of abstinence. I did notice my constantly dry mouth clear up though while I wasn't smoking. I was wondering if smoking was really for me... I'm not sure it is or not. I'm gonna try cutting down to 1 per hour...

mugatea said:
I tried giving up smoking yesterday... I smoke way to many maybe 40 a day, I even wake up through the night to have a quick puff to elavate my nicotine levels. Anyway yesterday I went all day without a ciggy - cold turkey and my brain broke down, got the time distortion you can get, mega brain fog, felt like I was high all day, broke last night after 20 hours yet my brain still hasn't recovered from the period of abstinence. I did notice my constantly dry mouth clear up though while I wasn't smoking. I was wondering if smoking was really for me... I'm not sure it is or not. I'm gonna try cutting down to 1 per hour...

Sounds like a real roll coaster ride you went through. How long have you been smoking? It's usually not a good idea to go cold turkey if you've been smoking a long time (and especially if you've been a heavy smoker, and fit the smoker's profile as referred to on this forum). If you have a real hard time quitting, it probably means you shouldn't quit. You may be successful cutting down some, though.

One thing to keep in mind is that many who have smoked all their lives from a young age, when they quit, all sorts of health problems start - I've known several cases like that and have some second hand accounts of others. FWIW.

There may be ways to reduce your nicotine needs. Some people in the Iodine thread have found that their need to smoke lowers or disappears when taking iodine. Don't try that without reading the thread though.

Back
Top Bottom