Weather over the last 12 months....

Regulattor said:
There is something peculiar with the way the Sun glows, thou. It may be just my subjective observation, but for the past few weeks I'm under impression that Sun light goes thru some kind of filter, result of which is weird yellowish "effect" that I'm noticing. :huh:

I just noticed this yesterday and thought of your post.

Also, pretty much overnight we now have temperatures of 5 degrees Celcius!

You should see turnover here! Last Friday part of my family went on the coast (east Adriatic) for the weekend. Sea temp. was 23-24 C, they enjoyed swimming and sunbathing for the whole weekend! But from Sunday it was like someone pull the switch off. First snow in the mountains, up to 30cm, temperatures plunged 20 degrees C. And here where I live, forecast for tomorrow morning is around 0 C!!! It's like the weather just jumped from Summer into Winter. And according to forecast it will stay so for at least next 10-15 days! It's strange to see this erratic behaviour of weather, but on the other hand maybe this is just the taste of things to come, eh?

Hey guys, I live in NJ right accross the hudson river from NYC, and this October feels like a late November, it is rarely freezing the temperatures have swing from the lower 30's F to the lower 40's F.

And this summer was certainly the coldest of my 4 years in the states, there was I believe only one week in the higher 90's that was the week of the 24th of august I believe, the rest of summer we barely made it to 80 something degrees farenheit.

The weather is indeed rare and bizarre, I recall I think in 07 or 06 , we had a day in december when we broke a record high for winter reaching temperatures of 67 degrees F in December, so everybody thought that the planet was actually warming up, I guess back then nobody expected this year to be so cold!

Just my two very cold cents! :P

Wisconsin:

We've had two snowfalls in the past week now. I don't think this is ever happened this early since my family moved here in 1984. I recall one year in the 1980's when we got a big snowstorm on Halloween night, but I've never experienced anything prior to that date - at least that I can recall.

Despite this, I saw this in the Star Tribune yesterday:

_http://www.startribune.com/local/64363292.html?elr=KArks:DCiUHc3E7_V_nDaycUiacyKUnciaec8O7EyUr

Winter may be on the warm side, NOAA says

Well, it is Minnesota after all, but the Climate Prediction Center says it's an El Niño year, and that could mean milder temperatures in the state this winter.

:huh:

Talk about ignoring the objective reality...

we had cool summer and are presently into an unusually cold fall -- temperatures in the 50-s, killing frost and snow in the beginning of October. Very weird. WE are in the midwest.

Here in New York I would say we had a pretty short summer. Warm weather started late and ended early. We are now into a cold fall season as well. Yesterday was in the hi 40s and rainy all day long.
Feels like winter is here already. :(

Edit: right after I posted this I found out that the high for today is only 44!

We've had the same winter weather in northern BC. We've had snow and freezing temperatures for the last week. Less snow than they had in the Prairies, but colder. Yesterday it finally got above freezing for the first time in a week, but it is still unseasonably low. Our last snow in the spring was at the end of May, so we only had four snowless months this year! That makes for a long, long winter!

:scared:

The Great White North, indeed!

Here in central MA, it snowed last night, and I woke up to a light dusting of snow on the ground. I can't remember the last time that it snowed this early.

Galahad said:
We've had the same winter weather in northern BC. We've had snow and freezing temperatures for the last week. Less snow than they had in the Prairies, but colder. Yesterday it finally got above freezing for the first time in a week, but it is still unseasonably low. Our last snow in the spring was at the end of May, so we only had four snowless months this year! That makes for a long, long winter!

:scared:

The Great White North, indeed!

What can i say!!!
46919.gif

I thought I'd pick up with the local weather observations in this thread for lack of a better spot...

I haven't seen this much rain in Wisconsin in years. I suppose it has been somewhat dry the last few years, but this summer has been ridiculously wet. People at work are complaining about their basements overflowing. Water is getting into places where it typically doesn't. And it is now set to continue raining for the next couple days here. :(

Along with the rain there have been a number of large thunderstorms, several more tornado warnings than we've typically had in previous years.

All of this coming off of a very dry spring and winter. Gosh, if we had this much precipitation in the winter it might really be a problem!

Ice age here we come...

Rain here as well. With a small amounts of lightning too night. Came down like cats and dogs last night, with a spectacular lighting and thunder display. A couple thunderbolts shook the house a bite and the valley lost power for a few seconds. The rain was so hard it woke me up about 2:30 am. If the temperatures were cooler i believe there would be 1/2 meter of heavy of snow on the ground. And over the last couple of months, there has been more over cast and rain than last year. It's not hard to imagine possible 2 meter snow drifts here, in the coming winter months :whistle:

We've had quite a hot summer in central Ohio. Hot and humid. I feel like I'm in the tropics. I'm thankful for the vitamin D but sheesh! We've had significant amounts of rain, lightning and thunder boom-booms too. The rain will stop and five minutes later it's hot as blazes again.

This winter is gonna be a doozy.

Here in south central Texas, it has been a mild summer. I have lived in this area for about 23 years and this seems to be the coolest summer I remember. This year so far, I remember only a couple of days it has gotten over 95 degrees Fahrenheit, most between 90 and 95. (We bought a thermometer last year and have been keeping an eye on the temperatures this year out of curiosity.)

Normally, temperatures range from 95 to 105 (with some exceptions of course - sometimes 93 and sometimes 112).

We have had some very nice rains this year, not so many severe storms and those not so severe. We could use a little more rain, but at least it is not drought.

I remember many years with very heavy storms and heavy rains (including some flooding) in early to mid summer. I remember many years with drought. I don't remember so many "in the middle" type years. This is one of the most pleasant summers I have experienced here in South Central Texas.

Edited to correct spelling and placement of "degrees Fahrenheit".

The weather here in Northern California is also changing quite a bit. Some of the observations Ive made is that were getting much more rain then usual and it as been getting colder here too. Also the past winter was really long for us, it was still raining in the end of May!(Are rain season usually stops in April). All this extra cold and rain is taking a toll on the agriculture industry here. Ive also noticed that the trees leaves here are changing colors and some of the trees are already losing some of their leaves, seems like Fall will come much earlier then usual. Ice age, indeed!

Some how it feels like autumn. Over the last couple days the heat this area has felt in the past, seems have become less infrequent. Noticeable was a chill in the house, as if the onset of winter is coming. But it is only the last week in July. Also noticeable is fires place's were active in the area, as people here who use them for a heat source in the winter. I don't use the on demand boiler or the fire place much (hot water heat radiator, and fins) as it seems a waste to fill a small house with heat scene i spend little time in those rooms.

As i did in the states i usually just layer more clothing and insulate with thermal undergarments, to combat the last winter that i experienced here from DEC. till May. Though not the dry cold experienced in NV. high desert which was a burning clod when temperature's reached around 5'F or -15'c. A damp cold that is bone cold, just as direct but different kind of cold.

The kitchen is where i have a computer set up. Twice i have had to use the electric stove to warm a light chill in the home that seemed move into the area over the last week. Makes one think that 3 meter snow drifts as stated by the C's are very much in the picture for the future.

The realization to having deal with snow and the ice will be interesting and challenging as well as dangerous if thing's continue and seem to moving as predicted. There are 57 day's till Autumn, and maybe it already is here.

Also was the temperature difference for where aim at, was 19 Celsius where in the town blow which was 21 Celsius (or 66'f to 70'F) with light breaks in the clouds exposing little of the Sun.

This also the time year where the valley picks up it's tempo to gathering and chopping wood for the winter. It seems to get back food and fuel gathering as they did in the past when there was no grid of electric and gas that pacifies those skills, of basics needs to survive. They are not only time consuming, but physically demanding as well.

Also to forum members that do (the picture below) no hunt food and take to the harm of the wildlife taken this way as a food source, My apologies. Its just used for showing how they did it to fill there needed for food when there were no Super markets. Perhaps it's time to invest in a pair of snow shoes.

From WiKipedia:

A Snowshoe is footwear for walking over the snow. Snowshoes work by distributing the weight of the person over a larger area so that the person's foot does not sink completely into the snow, a quality called "flotation".

Traditional snowshoes have a hardwood frame with rawhide lacings. Some modern snowshoes are similar, but most are made of materials such as lightweight metal, plastic, and synthetic fabric. In addition to distributing the weight, snowshoes are generally raised at the toe for maneuverability. They must not accumulate snow, hence the latticework, and require bindings to attach them to the feet.

In the past, snowshoes were essential tools for fur traders, trappers and anyone whose life or living depended on the ability to get around in areas of deep and frequent snowfall, and they remain necessary equipment for forest rangers and others who must be able to get around areas inaccessible to motorized vehicles when the snow is deep. However, today snowshoes are mainly used for recreation, primarily by hikers and runners who like to continue their hobby in wintertime. Snowshoeing is easy to learn, and in appropriate conditions is a relatively safe and inexpensive recreational activity. However, snowshoeing in icy, steep terrain is more dangerous.

Attachments

• Guy%20carrying%20firewood[1].jpg
    Guy%20carrying%20firewood[1].jpg
    59 KB · Views: 0
  • Vintage-HuntingExpedition[1].jpg
    Vintage-HuntingExpedition[1].jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 0
  • How-To-Make-And-Use-Snowshoes-Shapes-of-Snowshoes-58[1].png
    How-To-Make-And-Use-Snowshoes-Shapes-of-Snowshoes-58[1].png
    79.2 KB · Views: 0
  • MSR-lightning-snowshoes[1].jpg
    MSR-lightning-snowshoes[1].jpg