Weather over the last 12 months....

in norway we have had frost weather at night in parts of the country - unheard of the last hundred years in July. Generally the last 20 years has had milder winters and a lot of traditional cross country ski events has been cancelled due to lack of snow. Humid summer after a cold long winter this year.

Here in southern colorado the weather has been unusual to say the least. Friday July 30Th it started raining about 6:30pm and did not stop until 7am Saturday morning dumping a inch and a half of rain, highly unusual for my area. Its been raining everyday since Friday, but since we are in our monsoonal moisture pattern i wasn't really worried until i noticed all the lightning and thunder which has been significant lately. Usually we get some decent storms during this time of the year but lately its like they have been getting more powerfull. the main thing is the severity of the storms as the roll off the Rockies. We have been having serious issue's with flooding and sinkholes. Oh yeah on a brighter note weed pulling has become my daytime job. :lol:

Here in NYC all I've noticed is heat and a lot of humidity. :( They keep calling for rain but we don't seem to get enough, imo. We get short downfalls and it doesn't seem to be enough to alleviate the humidity. Although I know that most of the humidity is due to all the heat created in the city because when I return to the country for my days off, its hot up there but no where nearly as humid. Other then that it just seems to be another hot summer here.

Finally, we get some temperatures over 100 degrees Fahrenheit! This past week we have had a couple of days of 100.4, 100.8 and today may get over 100 (it is 96 now at 2pm). Most years, we get temps over 100 fairly often in July, August, and September. For the record, I am not missing the heat, but wonder how this winter will be.

I'm very curious as to how this winter will be played out. I've read on the NOAA site that the La Nina pattern is back for this winter so it interesting to see how it goes along with all of the other factors to the equation.

Just to share news from this part of the world.
There was major rain storm in ancient Croatian town of Dubrovnik this morning and what was interesting is that in period of just 3 hours time fell between 130-160 liters of rain! Of course this amount of rain means serious flooding since town infrastructure wasn't build for such a huge amounts of water.

Heavy rains, thunder storms and gale force winds brought havoc to Dubrovnik this morning. More than 130 litres of rain fell per square metre over just three hours. Traffic was blocked, the main coastal road to the airport was closed due to falling rocks and the Stradun was under 40 cm of flood water. The city awoke to the sound of sirens as the fire brigade, police and ambulance service was on full alert with over 50 interventions. All schools were closed in the city and many homes in the city were flooded. Driving conditions were terrible and the state authorities advised people not to use their cars unless absolutely necessary. The extreme weather also caused power cuts in various suburbs and throughout the city. On the Ombla River the kindergarten and school were completely flooded as well as hundreds of houses. The main coastal road from Dubrovnik towards Dubrovnik Airport was closed due to a landslide. Throughout the city the flood waters burst sewers and even caused man hole covers to collapse under the weight of water. Around midday the rain, that had fallen heavily all night, finally stopped and the clean up operation started. The weather forecast for the next few days is also for rain.
(_http://dubrovacki.hr/clanak/24209/stradun-under-40-centimetres-of-flood-water)

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILuDIi95djY

There was also reports of heavy rain and storm winds in another coastal town of Pula which was also flooded yesterday evening. Which was also flooded even more last September!
And speaking of September our nation's Capital recorded second highest flood wave since great flood in 1964!
_http://www.setimes.com/cocoon/setimes/xhtml/en_GB/features/setimes/features/2010/09/24/feature-01

Now, imagine how it would look like this huge amount of precipitation fell inland in late December or January!? Snow up to 1. floor in just 3 hours time! I think it's about time to get myself decent excavator!

I had a bit of a strange experience this morning. We had some light rain and drizzling this morning in central WI. It must have been sometime around 10-10:30am, there was a tremendous thunder clap! It practically shook the building I work in. And we rarely get thunderstorms this late in the year. In fact, since I've lived here (since 1984), I've never known of a thunderstorm this late in November.

Funny thing is that there was no other thunder either before or after this, and I didn't see any other lightning in the sky either. I wasn't near a window at the time, so I didn't see the lightening the caused this one boom. In retrospect now, I kind of wonder if it could have been a bolide explosion?

RyanX said:
I had a bit of a strange experience this morning. We had some light rain and drizzling this morning in central WI. It must have been sometime around 10-10:30am, there was a tremendous thunder clap! It practically shook the building I work in. And we rarely get thunderstorms this late in the year. In fact, since I've lived here (since 1984), I've never known of a thunderstorm this late in November.

Funny thing is that there was no other thunder either before or after this, and I didn't see any other lightning in the sky either. I wasn't near a window at the time, so I didn't see the lightening the caused this one boom. In retrospect now, I kind of wonder if it could have been a bolide explosion?

Bolide explosion is what crossed my mind while reading your post. fwiw

Here in Southern California we are having a lot of rain...it started on Thursday night and will be lasting a few more days, some say until Wednesday, some say it will last until Friday. It was pretty torrential today, I am working outside (under an overhang, yay) and it is really quite a scene. I am new to this area but I am told that this is rather unusual although not unheard of. There are possibilities of large-scale flooding and mudslides if this continues in the same way. In the main part of the city I am in nearly 3 inches of rain has fallen from Friday through Sunday, which is definitely on the high side. The current forecast is for the rain to leave Thursday but possibly return on Saturday. "...the set of storms pummeling Southern California since Thursday seems to be among the largest that have rolled through since the El Niño storms of early 2005." said National Weather Service meteorologist Stuart Seto. On the plus side, some fires in drier mountain areas have slowed or stopped burning.

D Rusak said:
There are possibilities of large-scale flooding and mudslides if this continues in the same way.

Large chance that is going to happen if I think back at previous years with similar amounts of rain. Especially in areas where we had fires this year and last.
In the San Francisco area there have been power outages today because of the wind and rain.

Hello all,
Here in eastern Kansas the winters have been coming earlier and staying longer over the last 3 or 4 years. More snow than what we are generally used to seeing. The summers have been mild some years and hot during others. It's like the weather can't seem to remember what season it's supposed to be. Although, after seeing the weather changes happening around the world I feel very fortunate we have what we have.

Chicago had a blizzard which we got up to 20 inches of snow in some parts of the city. This is one of three worst snow storms we had in a long time. And I can say all my life living here I never seen anything like this in my life.

http://www.sott.net/signs/list_by_category/4-Earth-Changes
http://www.sott.net/articles/show/222976-Chicago-Airports-Nearly-At-Standstill

And here is the other article about a massive storm affecting 30 states in the U.S.
http://www.sott.net/articles/show/222901-NASA-Satellites-Capture-Data-on-Monster-Winter-Storm-Affecting-30-States

celtic said:
Chicago had a blizzard which we got up to 20 inches of snow in some parts of the city. This is one of three worst snow storms we had in a long time. And I can say all my life living here I never seen anything like this in my life.

Strangely, it completely missed me here in central WI. The wind was howling all night, but no snow came to this area. I hear the southern part of the state and anywhere from there south got hammered though.

Here in Mid-Missouri, we have about 20 inches of snow, with drifts up to several feet. (A real blizzard!) It's been a stressful couple of days. Now to dig out (but I think I'll wait until tomorrow. My employment is canceled for the rest of the week anyway). Being that I live many miles out into the country, not one snow plow, or even a car or truck has been on the road all day...

I also fell on ice yesterday and I think I cracked a rib. It's a mess.

celtic said:

http://www.sott.net/signs/list_by_category/4-Earth-Changes
http://www.sott.net/articles/show/222976-Chicago-Airports-Nearly-At-Standstill

And here is the other article about a massive storm affecting 30 states in the U.S.
http://www.sott.net/articles/show/222901-NASA-Satellites-Capture-Data-on-Monster-Winter-Storm-Affecting-30-States

Here in Mid-Missouri, we have about 20 inches of snow, with drifts up to several feet. (A real blizzard!) It's been a stressful couple of days. Now to dig out (but I think I'll wait until tomorrow. My employment is canceled for the rest of the week anyway). Being that I live many miles out into the country, not one snow plow, or even a car or truck has been on the road all day...

I also fell on ice yesterday and I think I cracked a rib. It's a mess

Sorry to hear that Dawn be careful out there walking in that snow. Where I am at on the south side of chicago we got about 11 to 12 inches of snow if not that.

Back
Top Bottom