Weather over the last 12 months....

Thanks! I'm taking it easy today. :)

Yeah I saw some coverage about the blizzard in Chicago! It has to be way more difficult to clean up after in such a large city!

celtic said:
Here in Mid-Missouri, we have about 20 inches of snow, with drifts up to several feet. (A real blizzard!) It's been a stressful couple of days. Now to dig out (but I think I'll wait until tomorrow. My employment is canceled for the rest of the week anyway). Being that I live many miles out into the country, not one snow plow, or even a car or truck has been on the road all day...

I also fell on ice yesterday and I think I cracked a rib. It's a mess

Sorry to hear that Dawn be careful out there walking in that snow. Where I am at on the south side of chicago we got about 11 to 12 inches of snow if not that.

Dawn said:
I also fell on ice yesterday and I think I cracked a rib. It's a mess.

Sorry to hear that Dawn, that sounds painful! I've had my share of mishaps on ice over the years, last year my whole back was practically black and blue from a fall backwards on the ice. Hope you are feeling better soon and glad you are taking it easy. :)

Here is another article showing have of the northern hemisphere is covered in snow. Al gore say it is so much snow because of global warming what a load of crap.

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/223034-World-of-two-halves-Map-shows-most-of-Northern-Hemisphere-is-covered-in-snow-and-ice

Huh, this video gives rellay "Day after Tomorrow" taste!
_http://video.wetteronline.de/?t=20110203ld&h=Schneemassen-in-Chicago&cat=24&pt=1&pl=1

Just want to say, unfortunately from my position I can't help much for all of you people caught in this mess, but you are in my mind and tonight's POTS I will dedicate to all of you in snow and cold and Down Under in wind and water as well.

Regulattor said:
Huh, this video gives rellay "Day after Tomorrow" taste!
_http://video.wetteronline.de/?t=20110203ld&h=Schneemassen-in-Chicago&cat=24&pt=1&pl=1

Just want to say, unfortunately from my position I can't help much for all of you people caught in this mess, but you are in my mind and tonight's POTS I will dedicate to all of you in snow and cold and Down Under in wind and water as well.

Interesting video - really brings it home. When people abandon cars like that on a highway, it's a nightmare to clear. Traffic stops due to the snow, all of a sudden, the car can't move anymore even if traffic moves and there you have it.

Dawn said:

That must be painful! Did you get an X-ray done? Here's wishes of a speedy recovery. Everyone please take care.

Geez, what a mess, everywhere. Very interesting times. And this is probably just the beginning!

Nah I avoid X-rays if I can. I cracked a rib once during sparing when I was doing the martial arts thing. My mom took me to get an X-ray and yep, I had a cracked rib. There wasn't much to do with it except wait for it to heal. This time, it feels the same. There are no bruises, just pain. Thanks for the well wishes! I'm glad I don't have a cold. I sneezed yesterday and oh wow that hurt!

Ailén said:
Dawn said:

That must be painful! Did you get an X-ray done? Here's wishes of a speedy recovery. Everyone please take care.

Geez, what a mess, everywhere. Very interesting times. And this is probably just the beginning!

Dawn said:
Here in Mid-Missouri, we have about 20 inches of snow, with drifts up to several feet. (A real blizzard!) It's been a stressful couple of days. Now to dig out (but I think I'll wait until tomorrow. My employment is canceled for the rest of the week anyway). Being that I live many miles out into the country, not one snow plow, or even a car or truck has been on the road all day...

Not too far away, we had freezing drizzle before the snow and I found my self testing gravity. Walked it off and just a little bit sore, this time. I also know that cracked rib feeling, no fun by any measure so try to take it slow as you clear the snow. Hopefully you'll get some help.

We just had our lowest temperature in the last 50 years in the city I live in, -8°C (around 17.6°F). This is consequence of the big blizzard in northeast USA, my water pipes broke (as it happened to many others) as we have no preparation for this weather, people are populating shelters as we speak and this temperature is expected to last till next week. :scared:

Navigator said:
We just had our lowest temperature in the last 50 years in the city I live in, -8°C (around 17.6°F). This is consequence of the big blizzard in northeast USA, my water pipes broke (as it happened to many others) as we have no preparation for this weather, people are populating shelters as we speak and this temperature is expected to last till next week. :scared:

Hi Navigator,

I live in the Northeast also and it's been a terribly hard winter for many of us. Cold lasting beyond belief, not to mention the snow and ice. One thing I was always told to do when the temperatures drop below freezing ... so that your water pipes don't freeze ... is to open up the cabinet doors under the sinks for some additional warmth and also to turn on the water just enough to let the water drip out slowly. I really don't know if this is a solution to keeping the pipes from freezing, but I do remember using this procedure when I had my home and the temperatures dropped for an extended period of time.

This weather is definitely something to be concerned about. Driving is even more scary.

And regarding the storms we've had, I too fell a couple of weeks back. I'm super careful when walking in snow and ice. But even with my 'tire tread' boots on, I hit a patch of ice and down I went. All I remember is laying in the snow and thinking I'm glad I didn't break anything.

Echo Blue said:
And regarding the storms we've had, I too fell a couple of weeks back. I'm super careful when walking in snow and ice. But even with my 'tire tread' boots on, I hit a patch of ice and down I went. All I remember is laying in the snow and thinking I'm glad I didn't break anything.

I'm glad that you didn't get injured! :)

A good advice, or maybe it is common knowledge: wearing gloves, when going outside in case of slipping so that it is possible to balance the body with the hands.

Legolas said:
Echo Blue said:

I'm glad that you didn't get injured! :)

A good advice, or maybe it is common knowledge: wearing gloves, when going outside in case of slipping so that it is possible to balance the body with the hands.

Yes, I am lucky. From now on though, I'm gonna wear a big thick hat too!!

Increadable spring like condition's today......nothing like last year. This picture taken on #1; 2-14-10 #2; 1-8-10, with snow was on the ground and much was colder than last year. Truly strange vacillating conditions as if winter has been cut short. Though nothing is blossoming or budding on tress, its the temperates that are so eradicate at 12:31 pm, on 1-6-11, it is 59' degree's Fahrenheit, or 15 Celsius :rolleyes:.

Attachments

• IMG_3940 (112x200).jpg
    IMG_3940 (112x200).jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_3344 (350x263).jpg
    IMG_3344 (350x263).jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 2
I just read an article on the SOTT page (http://www.sott.net/articles/show/228361-US-Wild-April-2011-Weather-Historic-Month-by-the-Numbers) and was surprised to see them reporting that Texas had record heat for April.

This past several weeks I have been thinking spring was much cooler than normal - That April was the "new March". Down here, we are used to getting our garden in the ground by the end of March. This year, we have had several "cool fronts" with pretty chilly nights and much wind. In fact, I was just speaking with my neighbor about this yesterday and he was saying that with the weather getting so much cooler in April, perhaps he should wait until May to plant.

Hmmmm.

On the other hand, they were right about our drought. We have been very dry and all those wildfires...perhaps it was warmer in places where they had the fires...or perhaps they only measured temps from those "fire" areas...???

Or perhaps I am just losing my mind.

Here in southern Colorado the weather has been hectic to say the least. Yesterday we had a wide variety of wild weather. The mountains have over a foot of new snow with another 4-8" expected. There was a tornado (EF-0) that hit Fountain, Colorado and my town was hit with heavy rain and marble size hail which caused some flooding. The temperature's are out of whack too. Usually at this time of the year we are in the 40-50' F at night. Past week we have been in the 30-40's F at night with "normal" temperature's during the daytime. Everything is definitely changing!

Back
Top Bottom