What's the weather where you are?

There has been a lot of rain and lightning in Cental Mexico during the last week, and the forecasts point out that this is going to continue for at least one more week. The temperatures range between 10 and 22 because of the cloudy days, but a couple weeks ago there were some sunny days and the thermometer went up to 28. Also, a couple of days ago there was a thunderstorm in the area were we live and lighting struck very close to the house.

Thunderstorms and over an inch of rain last night. It was already cooling a bit and has been very cool today; almost sweater cool. And it is the last day of July.

All in all, we really haven't had much of a summer. Meanwhile, of course, Siberia has had 35C temps possibly leading to an outbreak of anthrax.

Here in the capital and most of Sonora, after weeks with a temperature of 37-50 degrees, an unusual change: 7 days of rains followed with 3 large electrical storms and the consequences of computers and electronic devices spoiled . Something is changing, no doubt.

In Greenland there is a weather and research station, Summit Camp or Summit Station located more than 72 degrees North and at a height of 3216 meters above sea level. Early on the 1st of August which is technically counted as the month of July until 6 am by the meteorologist, they measured the lowest temperature ever for that time of the year, a chilling 30,7 degrees Celsius. The previous record was 27,7 degrees Celsius measured on July 30, 1992. Below is a list of absolute maximum and minimum temperatures for different months. In another location in Greenland July 2016 was the driest since measurements began in 1898 as they only received 0.1 mm of precipitation.

Attachments

• 82748f7945.gif
    82748f7945.gif
    28.2 KB · Views: 195
Huge storm last night in Macedonia.The most affected area was the capital of Macedonia Skopje. A Huge part of the city is flooded and there are many casualties. Big material damage is done. A lot of cars, roads, buildings are destroyed.
Authorities don't tell the number of victims and there is a very little in the media. This morning I saw on one TV and it was a real disaster.
Army and special police forces are on the streets, helping people with this disaster. Macedonian president declared emergency situation in affected areas

I live about 70 km from Skopje , and we also have a storm with a lot of rain and lot of electrical discharge, but not as it was in Skopje.

According to media, last night from 7 pm to 10 pm it was raining more then 30Litters per square meter, or it the amount of rain that falls in one month

I noticed that a lot of those atmospheric electrical activities were very high in the atmosphere, not a close to the ground as it usual during heavy storms.

Konstantin said:
Huge storm last night in Macedonia.The most affected area was the capital of Macedonia Skopje. A Huge part of the city is flooded and there are many casualties. Big material damage is done. A lot of cars, roads, buildings are destroyed.
Authorities don't tell the number of victims and there is a very little in the media. This morning I saw on one TV and it was a real disaster.
Army and special police forces are on the streets, helping people with this disaster. Macedonian president declared emergency situation in affected areas

I live about 70 km from Skopje , and we also have a storm with a lot of rain and lot of electrical discharge, but not as it was in Skopje.

According to media, last night from 7 pm to 10 pm it was raining more then 30Litters per square meter, or it the amount of rain that falls in one month

I noticed that a lot of those atmospheric electrical activities were very high in the atmosphere, not a close to the ground as it usual during heavy storms.

I sad that it was raining about 30L/m3 but it was the maximum until last night as national stations are reporting this morning and early afternoon. Last night it dropped more than 100 L/m3
New update says more than 20 dead and few still missing.
Heavy trucks and cars were washed from the road in the fields like toys. Interesting is that there is no river near , so all the water that was flowing like a water wall was just from the rain.
Earth changes in the first person.
When I saw what's happening my first thought was " SHEETS OF RAIN".
:(

There is an article on VICE about Macedonia: http://www.vice.com/rs/read/skoplje-izmedju-zlokobne-prirode-i-nebrige-poplave-u-avgustu

There are videos there for those who don't understand the language.

It seems that that part of the city wasn't built professionally. Even though the rain was really big, like you said Konstantin, there is no big river nearby, and that part of the city is not on a slope, so the damage shouldn't have be this big.

But the things like this were not common for the Balkan area, so I guess that people were unworried about such things when they were building their houses and roads. I saw the same thing in Serbia in 2014.

We also had some floods this year, my village also, but not as big as in 2014. But these heavy rains are certainly the part of our new reality.

Persej said:
There is an article on VICE about Macedonia: http://www.vice.com/rs/read/skoplje-izmedju-zlokobne-prirode-i-nebrige-poplave-u-avgustu

There are videos there for those who don't understand the language.

It seems that that part of the city wasn't built professionally. Even though the rain was really big, like you said Konstantin, there is no big river nearby, and that part of the city is not on a slope, so the damage shouldn't have be this big.

But the things like this were not common for the Balkan area, so I guess that people were unworried about such things when they were building their houses and roads. I saw the same thing in Serbia in 2014.

We also had some floods this year, my village also, but not as big as in 2014. But these heavy rains are certainly the part of our new reality.

Major problem is that majority of forests on the mountain Skopska Crna Gora, on the northern side of Skopje is devastated. Almost all the trees are cut so there just plain hills there.
Another problem is clogged channels that were build to direct water from the rain under the highway. Nobody takes care of them so they can do their main function.
Also, that part of the city is lower than the main river Vardar level that passes through Skopje, so water can't go into the river, but it stays on the place.
So all the water that fell down on the mountain Skopska Crna Gora , made a huge and fast wave of water , and that wave moved from the slopes of the mountain toward the city. Those most affected areas were the first on the way of the wave.
There were no trees to slow down the wave or even to prevent such a big and fast wave .The channels were not working so they could drain the water where it should be drained. Non-profesional building also took its toll .

Thank you Konstantin, that explains what really happened. In our news I couldn't hear anywhere the explanation, so it all looked very bizarre. Yes, that part of the city requires some very good channel system to prevent such things from happening.

Here it is, almost the middle of August, and we've only had a handful of real summer days in south-central France. This morning it was 11 C. It's early evening and 21 C out there right now - strong flow from the West and quite cool! Never thought I'd wear a sweater in August.

It's supposed to heat up to 34 next week but I guess we'll see. All summer, a strange weather pattern: heat up a couple of days, doesn't get too hot, then rain and cooling down, repeat.

Laura said:
Here it is, almost the middle of August, and we've only had a handful of real summer days in south-central France. This morning it was 11 C. It's early evening and 21 C out there right now - strong flow from the West and quite cool! Never thought I'd wear a sweater in August.

It's supposed to heat up to 34 next week but I guess we'll see. All summer, a strange weather pattern: heat up a couple of days, doesn't get too hot, then rain and cooling down, repeat.

Spot on here as well. Today a cool 22 Celsius. Not even near what has been witnessed in the past (on the border), SSE of the mountain range of France.

Considering, it is actually rather pleasant, but has the propensity of extreme changes happening overnight.

Seems like an early Indian Summer already. :/

c.a. said:

That's what I was thinking too. After the last big rain a week or so ago, the air smelled and felt like September.

Laura said:
c.a. said:

That's what I was thinking too. After the last big rain a week or so ago, the air smelled and felt like September.

Same here. It feels like autumn, and now it's very cool as well (Germany). This was/is one weird "summer".

Whoa! Temperatures dropped 10 degrees Celsius!
Predictions had to be modified [as always] on the weather site from 28~29 °C to 19°C, because a cloud front arrived, started to rain and temps dropped suddenly in Hungary, West of Ukraine.

Can't complain though: cooler weather is better for thinking (work) than near sweltering heat. The adobe content of the house wall kept the heat from previous days' intense 'sunshine hours', so now the walls are radiating warmth into the inside as well.

Back
Top Bottom