What's the weather where you are?

Keit said:
Maybe s-kur will write about it more, but just heard on the news that Kamchatka had one of its heaviest snow storms. In one night they had a month amount of snow. What's more, there was also a lightning snow storm, something that doesn't happen in the region.

Thanks for sharing, Keit. Never heard of lightning snow storms before, sounds very unusual indeed. Channel 1 says this cyclone is now moving towards Magadan with strong winds (up to 20 meters per second) and temperatures of about -50C. Looking forward to hear from s-kur about the Kamchatka storm and how they deal with it.

Our local weather is unusually warm for this period: only -3C at the moment. The meteorologists say we will have such mild period until the New Year. They say it's up to 6 degrees above the average. But it's calm, not windy, which is also unusual for such warm periods here.

The skies this afternoon in Norway:

There has been similar photos from many parts of the country today:

_https://www.facebook.com/groups/16475929751/10152955075519752/?comment_id=10152955698579752&notif_t=like

_http://www.nrk.no/vestfold/perlemorskyer-over-vestfold-1.12115623

Google translate: "- Nice, but not good for the ozone layer. Mother-of-pearl clouds characterized the sky several places Monday morning. Kjersti Høydalsmo woke up to this sky Monday morning. Kjersti Høydalsmo was fascinated by the sky above Kvelde in Lågendalen Monday morning. - It is not often we have so beautiful skies here in the south, she says to NRK. State Meteorologist Nina Larsgård by the Norwegian Meteorological Institute explains that Høydalsmo have captured, called pearl clouds. - These clouds form in 20-30 km altitude and is thus much higher than the usual high clouds do. Frequently veil clouds is for example around 10 km altitude, she explains. Read also: Color Play in the sky high clouds Pearl clouds formed mostly during winter in conjunction with strong air currents that initiate mountain waves as they pass over mountains. - Right now we have a powerful jet stream (an area with strong winds high in the atmosphere) that overlies the southern tip of Norway. This may have initiated these clouds. Ice crystals and chemical compositions Pearl clouds composed of ice crystals that break sunlight so that the cloud gets the beautiful colors. Also Larsgård vote clouds are very fine, but stated that they do not have as nice effect on the ozone layer. - The atmosphere is very dry in the height of these clouds are formed, but because the air becomes extra cooled in the crests formed by the jet stream, it may still form clouds. In addition to the ice crystals can clouds consist of different chemical compositions, and these can react with ozone and ozone affect the balance in the stratosphere, she states".

Attachments

• Himmel jul2.jpg
    Himmel jul2.jpg
    696.4 KB · Views: 235
Finally the first snow appeared over night. So after all it will be white christmas this year.
The last year was not even cold. Now the temperature is above zero and the snow will probably melt.
But at night the temperatures are subzero. So perhaps it will hold.

tohuwabohu said:
Finally the first snow appeared over night. So after all it will be white christmas this year.
The last year was not even cold. Now the temperature is above zero and the snow will probably melt.
But at night the temperatures are subzero. So perhaps it will hold.

Not. The snow melted away and today it was so beautiful outside. The sun was shining and the grass was green as if it would be spring already.

Thanks Hithere for those amazing chillingly sumptuous clouds. Truly something I've never seen. A blizzard was supposed to happen according to some weather predictions in the White MT's, of New Hampshire, but alas it was in the high 30's and only rained for at least a day. This weather here is very unpredictable as it changes drastically in short periods. I've been here for 5 months and haven't experienced anything but what you'd expect from a typical 4 season area, which is great. It seems that January and February are the bigger blizzard predictions, but so far the skiers are hopeful for snow really soon. I am prepared as far as plowing, supplies, food and a wood stove that will perform if the power goes out, which is why I didn't invest in the popular pellet stove. No thanks. Never thought I'd be prepared to hunt either, yet that has changed and I am also prepared for that possibility and have become pretty adept at things I'd never think I'd have to actually use. 45 degrees tomorrow, if tomorrow comes that is.

On a latitude smack in the middle between Toulouse and Paris currently we are blessed with a wonderful week - a second time in two months - resembling rejuvenating spring weather. The first was a pleasant surprise: great amount of energies began to rejuvenate a nature that was preparing for winter sleep in late November.

Lots of thick "spring-grass" sprung up, the air was surprisingly fresh, energy almost sizzling all around in the air and the soil. The tiny green crops sprouts were visibly enjoying themselves -, so it was invigorating to jog and do resistance exercises in the wonderful country environment and breath in the strong air of the open fields. Right now too - just as described - we have an early Autumn temperature* - with pleasant sky outlooks, somewhat cloudy. I turned off the radiator and enjoying the sun shining through the window with full power, helps with energy while working. I can't imagine, how I could exist in a heavily darkened room 3 years ago, so depressive! [shudder]. If I could help it now, I would make the walls transparent too, letting in as much Sun radiance as we are granted by our beloved star.

Winter weather is turning out - about the same - as our last mild winter, bereft of snow or ice, lacking much wet/cold/melting foul stuff, so far. All this gives the illusion, an idea I played with some thoughts of folly, about people with strong entropy inside attracting snowstorms, mudslides, floods with ice. On the other side - how weather turns out over the heads of people nurturing order in their hearts and desperately trying to become more aware and be parts of the always watching and balancing objective Universe.

*my perception of what is cold changed with cold showers and progressive cold adaptation and wet bare skin exposure to cold night winds, after exercise.

It is a beautiful Christmas morning in the southern Appalachians with plentiful sunshine! Temps in the mid 60s yesterday with nearly 2 inches of rain have left various mountain peaks aglitter with shimmering frosts in said sunshine. It is a glorious sight as we travel to join our dear family to celebrate this Season of Light!

We've hit our first cold snap here in the Pacific Northwest (USA). Lows in the mid 20's (Fahrenheit) and highs around or just above freezing. The sunshine has been a welcome psychological boost but we definitely need precipitation. The snow pack in parts of the Cascades is way below normal. However, there's still lots of winter left to make up that shortfall.

The wife and I may head into the mountains to play in the snow this weekend for some much needed levity. Oh, and interesting reading about the "ice pancakes", itellsya. :)

Where I am it is hot and getting hotter.
Fires are burning in adjacent states, fortunately nothing major here yet.
( see 'What's on your Mind' for statement there)
Skies are blue at the moment, with a slight haze, temps expected to get to 34 degrees centigrade.
Temps in South Australia getting up to 40 degrees today.

Here is a very good talk by John Casey on climate change, the coming cold (sun shut down), and preparation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqk8t7CSmfI

Here in the Southern Ozarks of the USA, we are having day 2 of grey skies, no sun , and a 'wintry mix" of rain and freezing rain. Temps have warmed to 45F from yesterday in 30's all day.

This Arizona girl is homesick...lol ;)

North of Italy ,after 1 week of temperatures below 0 : -7 - 9 Celsius ,snowing in Italian regions ,today in the north the temperatures : +18 + 20 Celsius it's just crazy .

West of Ukraine, Carpathian Basin, (Lat47.80106,Long20.5770906) : First snow of the winter has fallen yesterday, half an inch. Most of it melted away under the clear skies with lots of sunlight. Today a bright moon continues to light up everything and the night wind is bearable topless after exercise so its not so freezing cold. Had surprisingly much energy during exercise: nearness of full moon?

supriyanoel said:
Thanks Hithere for those amazing chillingly sumptuous clouds. Truly something I've never seen. A blizzard was supposed to happen according to some weather predictions in the White MT's, of New Hampshire, but alas it was in the high 30's and only rained for at least a day. This weather here is very unpredictable as it changes drastically in short periods. I've been here for 5 months and haven't experienced anything but what you'd expect from a typical 4 season area, which is great. It seems that January and February are the bigger blizzard predictions, but so far the skiers are hopeful for snow really soon. I am prepared as far as plowing, supplies, food and a wood stove that will perform if the power goes out, which is why I didn't invest in the popular pellet stove. No thanks. Never thought I'd be prepared to hunt either, yet that has changed and I am also prepared for that possibility and have become pretty adept at things I'd never think I'd have to actually use. 45 degrees tomorrow, if tomorrow comes that is.
I have been thinking that propane along with a wood stove seems to be the way to go..
Here in Alberta we have had far less snow and cold than last winter.

Back
Top Bottom