Where is Buddy?

Well buddy, since the circumstances are what they are. Who knows what could have happened. Good to hear from you. :)

I'm really touched ya'll. Thank you all. I understand that PF's passing (and other events) has initiated evolvement of our forum and emotional concerns and I see this as a closer knit community now. For that I am forever grateful. :)

I'm also glad you're back! I never like it when people just disappear off this forum - still wondering what happened to Bedower and Miss. Isness... although I think I saw a comment from Bedower on a SOTT article recently.

Hello Buddy,
It is really nice to see you here on the Forum again! :)
As you might be already noticing there are a lot of 'changes' in this 'short' period of time in your absence.

One of them, that is rather functional level but check SMF mod - bookmarks for forum topics out also. I bet you will like it too! :cool2:

After Victoria died, it actually occurred to me that a system is required to ensure that forum members are "looked after". Knowing whether forum members are getting sick or worse, would be very valuable for that person and to the forum as a whole.

I am also wondering whether it is possible to check up on a person's "logged-on" statistics? I ask this because I log on to the SOTT forums almost *every* day, but might only post once every few days. If I'm particularly busy, the posting will be even less, but I still manage to visit the forums nearly every day. It would be really useful if the moderators had a computer program made up that had a little alarm that notified them that "Member X has not visited the forums for 7 days" or "Member Y has not posted in 14 days". It would make things a lot easier for them. In short, it would be what "Big Brother" was MEANT to do: actually protect people in the most altruistic sense possible!!!

In any case, I'm glad to see Buddy has returned safe and well!

Buddy said:
OMG, I can't believe this! I am so ashamed of not posting just to say hi or something. :-[

I have been heavily involved in researching and studying, writing reports and making oral presentations - just to get through the semester finals here at the trade school I attend. I thought I was offline just a few days, but time apparantly slipped away from me. I'm sorry you guys. I had no reason to believe my posting activity would be missed.

I have not experienced anything like this in my entire life, so thank you all for your concern.

I promise not to let this happen again without posting a notice or something.

Thank you! :cry:

Buddy,
I remember quite clearly when Pepperfritz welcomed you back after you had a break in posting before. I thought to myself at that time, "my sentiments exactly!"
Because I also had come to value your input. I looked forward to your take on things.
You are not the only one here that I think of in this way, of course: this is what happens when one really contributes, and really gives of himself/herself sincerely.

I suspect many of us, myself included, get a little overly worried about trying to not add much in the way of "noise" (low content posts) that we/I leave out even those human things like encouragement, and thanks, and the fact we missed someone.
Well, actually, it might also be because it was one of my I's (or its), maybe my busy, thoughtless, self-centered I (or it) that was in the driver's seat at the moment Pepperfritz greeted you and so it prevented me from doing the same?
This is interesting, this Work on the self, is it not?
I have a looong way to go in this Work, if I may say so.

-Breton

Was checking in on this thread and, lo and behold, Buddy posted!!! Am so very glad to see that you're back, Buddy!

3D Resident said:
After Victoria died, it actually occurred to me that a system is required to ensure that forum members are "looked after". Knowing whether forum members are getting sick or worse, would be very valuable for that person and to the forum as a whole.

I am also wondering whether it is possible to check up on a person's "logged-on" statistics? I ask this because I log on to the SOTT forums almost *every* day, but might only post once every few days. If I'm particularly busy, the posting will be even less, but I still manage to visit the forums nearly every day. It would be really useful if the moderators had a computer program made up that had a little alarm that notified them that "Member X has not visited the forums for 7 days" or "Member Y has not posted in 14 days". It would make things a lot easier for them. In short, it would be what "Big Brother" was MEANT to do: actually protect people in the most altruistic sense possible!!!

In any case, I'm glad to see Buddy has returned safe and well!

fwiw if you click a users name, the Last Active lists when they last logged in (I've used this in the past to check to see when a person lasted logged on for the same reason this thread exists!).
I did a quick search and found a few modifications for the forum that may be of help

Last active on members list
_http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1324

Adds a list of all users that were online on the current day to the 'Info Center'.
By hovering the cursor over the username, it will display when the user was last logged in.
_http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=217

This mod will add a 'Users Active in Last 24 Hours' section just below the 'Users Online'.
_http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=479

It is nice to think we are all looking out for each other! :)
p.s. welcome back Buddy

*edit* oops, deaticated one of the link :-[

Welcome back Buddy! I have to admit, even though I remembered you taking a time off of this forum this summer, I was still uneasy to see how long it had been since you posted.

Back a while, you posted a quote from Kahlil Gibran's book "The Prophet". I actually found it from my local library (a real wonder, considering it's size) and am now reading it myself :) It's been great so far!

I really appreciate everyone's expressions, but really, I'm ashamed of myself for having set the stage for this with my lack of external consideration in light of the new feeling of unity here.

Thank you. :-[

Each and every life, whether consciously or not, is a voyage of discovery of what this unity of being really means.

The whole of the spiritual life begins, Ibn 'Arabi would say, in the realisation of this fact, and ends in it. What lies between is the discovery of how this is so at every instant, in the intimate heart of each individual being. So the discovery of God is equally the ceaseless self-discovery of the individual. The world is no longer static, but the dynamic theatre of the Divine manifestation, and every movement in it is essentially a movement in love of God. It is simultaneously "He and not He", as Ibn 'Arabi says, just like the image of a person in a mirror.
_http://www.ibnarabisociety.org/articles/treasureofcompassion.html

Smallwood said:
Back a while, you posted a quote from Kahlil Gibran's book "The Prophet". I actually found it from my local library (a real wonder, considering it's size) and am now reading it myself :) It's been great so far!

Some of the Sufi's depth of knowledge and ability to communicate thru allegory, simile and metaphor never ceases to amaze me. :) I have formed a tentative belief that the most value to the Universal Being is not so much an issue of how much information we can read and recall, but whether or not the knowledge and experience that an individual has is a widely integrated, deeply unified, poetic appreciation of all that they have seen.

This tends to highlight the importance of recapitulation and self-study in the Work. OSIT

Back
Top Bottom