To those who can hear the "Hum"

Hello fellow seekers :-)

I am one of those (cursed?) who can "hear" this damned "Hum" that drives those of us who perceive it, nuts. Personally, I began "hearing" it about eight to ten years ago.

I know this topic has been brought up numerous times, and mentioned in many threads, but I wanted to make a common thread for the purposes of keeping an eye on it, reporting and ways (if any of you have found) to deal with it.

Pertinent info: Session 950121 said:

From this, I assume those of us who hear the hum perceive the Waves progress.

I have noticed an increase in the intensity of it. It also used to come and go, and I would be relieved when it disappeared. Now it is always there, and has become more intense and ever present, and it seems (for me) to be accelerating in presence and intensity.

For any/those of you who perceive the "Hum" I would really like to hear from you if you are experiencing the same, or not. I would appreciate you sharing how you are experiencing it, and you deal with it's incessant persistence.

BTW: This is a low frequency perceived (about 36 Hz for me) Earplugs don't work. It seems to come from everywhere. You can't locate the source of it, and cutting power to the house actually makes it worse, since there's even less noise to drown it out.
I don't hear the hum, but I do sit with very high quality headphones most evenings. Low frequency sounds have startled me a couple of times. I'll hear it with my headphones on, but once I take them off I can't hear it anymore.

It generally goes:
Me: Sitting listening to music or watching videos, feels a sound with his whole body. Takes headphones off and asks wife "What the hell is that?"
Wife: (watching the television with a cat on her lap) What are you talking about? I don't hear anything.
Me: Funny, I don't hear anything now (puts headphones back on). Now I hear it again! (gets up and walks outside and finally hear a helicopter in the distance)

I can literally feel it before it becomes audible. It also happens when one of our neighbors is washing an unbalanced load. Sometimes bottles on the refrigerator will start vibrating.
The point is that muffling a certain frequency range makes it much more apparent, so I can see why turning everything off makes it worse. And sometimes I'm sitting here and I feel my whole body begin to vibrate, but I can't find a cause. And that has happened sober, under the influence, in both quiet and noisy times, but always when I'm still and often when I'm laying in bed late at night.

I guess I'm trying to get some theory as to what's happening here, how and why some can perceive it.

I was thinking maybe it's a sort of resonance thing going on, so that's why I was looking at harmonics. There's some sort of interaction going on with these EM fields.

Maybe someone more versed in Physics has a better theory.
I hope not, because wouldn't that indicate some people's heads would align with the resonant frequency? Seems like that could be fatal.

I've tried recreating the drone I experience (hear), unheard by others I've asked.

That is also really close to what I hear but needs to be at least an octave, maybe two, lower.

I also am 99% sure the hum involves at least two frequencies, and they cause a beat frequency giving it the long slow pulse.

You have mentioned this before and I agree. There seems to be a phase occurring. So I did a search on 'phase' and also got 'standing waves', 'superposition of waves', etc. Have a look at these animations:

Now the hum seems to be a lot more erratic then the smooth flow in the gifs.

I plug my ears, and still hear it. Leads me to believe its source is in my brain.

I'm not finished my experimenting yet but it was my initial semi-conclusion that these two frequencies could be being 'generated' by the left and right hemispheres of the brain resulting in 'having an argument', so to speak. They could be perpetually 'out of phase' with each other which could lead to physiological effects like pressure in the head or perhaps like Nević Nenad said:

In more serious tone, I didnt hear something like that, but I have, for years now, that feeling in my stomach. It is as you feel bass tones from the big speakers on the concerts for example. Its very annoying.

While lying in bed this morning I was quite aware of an unpleasant feeling in my stomach/solar plexus area being not at ease and I remember feeling this at times when the hum was stronger.

I've mentioned several times that the hum has been really strong sometimes and that when I make a post, the hum disappears. Could it be a sign of the argument being won by one of the hemispheres? The left, perhaps? Could the right hemi be trying to communicate something that gets shut down by the left? Just some thoughts, but I have during my initial, unintended experiment, 'transformed' the pressure/hum into a 'clearness' accompanied by a pleasant feeling in my right hemisphere which lasted for most of a day. Along with this, I noticed that all negative thoughts were also gone. This was achieved after daily practices of 'spinning' before bed along with breathing and 'singing' work.

Last edited:
The way you have made the amplitude come and go is almost spot on for me, and also the waviness. The pitch I hear is a good few octaves below that.

I also am 99% sure the hum involves at least two frequencies, and they cause a beat frequency giving it the long slow pulse.

I will try to replicate the hum as well :-)
It's almost spot on for me, too, so I left it along 'as is.' There are split second silent breaks in my hum, which I didn't insert... only used fading to break the constant.
Using the tone generator you linked to, I've come to think that maybe my piano isn't true to tone.
Earphones were necessary for me to use the generator, and I'm also 99% sure the hum is made up of two (poss. more) frequencies -> maybe the bass is dominant for you, the reverse for me.
I realized another thing while using the tone generator. I took an earpiece away from one ear, then the other, while testing ranges, and found that I hear differently in my ears. I consider myself as having acute hearing, but found that I hear stronger with my left than with my right. Odd.
Also, I found that lowering the volume seems to give me a variance in perception - not as in lower volume, but as in a variance in tone. Could be that each ear picks up the two frequency combo differently.
The pulse/beat/melody is too even, I'm thinking, to be caused by the combo of frequencies.
Good luck in replicating your hum. I used Audacity (free), and it took me like>forever - a "learn as you go" thang! I wasn't able to tweak it to a perfect match, but chance helped me get it where it is. My mom had a music software, but sadly I didn't inherit it... and I have no idea which of my siblings did.
One other thing I learned. I can >sometimes< turn my head slightly to the left (rotating to the left, only, no up or down in head position) to get better 'reception.' New. Don't know if it'll stay?

I wonder how many others involved in this thread live with vertigo - as I do.

@Artex
I feel & hear things like that, too. My husband can't feel or hear a dang thing - at least, he claims not. We often step outside to help me put my mind at ease*. I feel/hear better inside the house, than out. Usually, we can blame the noise on one of others in the area - a neighbor working on an air boat or hot rod, someone mowing their pasture, the county cleaning the easements with chainsaws & mulcher, or our neighbor binding hay... or, often, a helicopter heading for one of the four main hospitals, or one heading from/to the county airport (*a storage unit for military equip & vehicles). I think outside noises make our old house, including window panes, hum. I can even feel it in the ground/floors. However, these noises are nothing like the hum, which appears to be internal.

Here's my first attempt at reproducing the hum. It's not quite there - it doesn't quite highlight the wavy nature of it. I'll try tinkering again soon.
Uh, I don't think I could deal with yours... wowza, that's intense! At least I can try putting rap with mine, mine being more like morse code.

I hear almost every power supply whether its integrated into device or as a separate brick, most of them sounds like "iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" or like whistle in kettle while boiling water just many magnitude more quiet. I have to unplug devices from socket even those that are supposed to take barely any energy when in standby simply because they are still very loud.

I wonder what amount of those hums are earth changes and what amount is just humanity fault for getting more and more smart devices full of anthenas operating at various frequencies.

@BlueKiwi and @Benjamin @lilies
What do you think about this... using the tone generator, I chose what I'll call a primary tone. I chose one around middle C# (138 hz), because it's close to the key I chose by matching my hum to my piano. Considering the multiple frequency theory, I opened another tab for a separate key choice - call it the secondary tone. I played the primary tone, while adjusting the generator to find a secondary. I settled on 33 hz, which is @ C, an octave lower than the primary C#. There was a little conflict, so I had to lower the volume on the secondary to bring the whole tone to be close to the sound I hear. Also, the generator applied a damper.
Once I was satisfied with my choices, I could capture both tones playing simultaneously, recording the two with Audacity.
See the image - I know, it's simple/crude - but maybe it will support the thoughts I'm trying to share.
Recording the two tones, together, CREATED TRACK A on image. Track B is the primary tone played and captured alone. Hope this all makes sense.
I retract my earlier statement about two frequencies not creating a pulse.
I believe they just might!

Note: my pulse is not so even. It is a collection of longs, shorts & in between the two... as said before, more like Morse code.

Attachments

• tonecompare.png
    tonecompare.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 9
@MRSinTexas Thanks for doing this research. I used Audacity to generate the hum as well, it's a great program.

The audio file I gave before is to loud, and I'll try to make a closer approximation soon when I get time.

Interesting you found 138 and 33 Hz. For my first attempt i used 63 hz and 64.5 hz I think. The difference in frequency affects the "pulse"

So the closer the frequencies, the longer pulse, or beat frequency. I'm starting to think there''s a third frequency involved :nuts:

- it doesn't quite highlight the wavy nature of it.
I agree.

Impressive work. Thank you! The deep sound you made is almost as I hear it too.

I have done a lot to disconnect with ordinary living, to come more back to basic as possible. Retired. Forrest around, nearest neightboor 4 km away (and the grid), turn off electricity (from solar panels) during night, alone, old (1900) wooden house, ordinary oldfashion lightbulbs etc. I my head the hum is the same here, as if I go to friends in some City.

I can hear another sound/phenomenon too. This is a lot more loftier, much more airy and same low frequency. Sometimes I think of this as me hearing HAARP or other manmade installasjon. This sound/phenomenon turns on and off and I often feel I have to protect myself from it. Anyone familiar to this?

I have a new version. I've made it exaggerate the waviness quite a bit. I think it will take quite a long time to get it close to the actual hum.

I hope this allows anyone who can;t hear the hum to get some idea of what it's like

Attachments

• wave_version_2.mp3
    472.7 KB
I have a new version. I've made it exaggerate the waviness quite a bit. I think it will take quite a long time to get it close to the actual hum.

I hope this allows anyone who can;t hear the hum to get some idea of what it's like
I've kept up with this thread, wondering if the low range hum I hear is just tinnitus. But I think that is pretty close to what I hear! I only hear it when things are quiet and usually my high range tinnitus takes the fore.

The newer version is much less threatening

I have a new version. I've made it exaggerate the waviness quite a bit.
More on this^^^^
I still can't hear it without ear aids, tho.
While listening to yours over and over, I tried to hum in harmony with it. Couldn't. Our hums are quite different.
A memory of yours stuck in my head, after I shut it off. So, in an attempt to find mine again, I sat in a closed off space. It returned almost immediately. Something new I discovered after I hummed my note and got 'back in tune,' so to speak. I hummed, then listened to see if it was the same ---- and it took a split second before 'the hum' came back on its own. I repeated this several times, taking this 'test' from one place in the house to another. Same results. So if I actually hum, it breaks 'the hum,' leaving silence in between me humming and 'the hum.' Is that clear?
I thought 'the hum' was in both ears, but it's not... or at least it is much, much stronger on the left. Could be this is a new development.
I have had two trauma events to the head - once when we hit the back of a parked car and my young head hit the windshield, and once (after retirement) when a huge length of pvc pipe was thrown to land on a rafter, and rebounded off the roof. I had a round imprint on my forehead for months after the latter because it hit pretty dang hard. BUT, both were on the right side. Don't know why I'm sharing this, but remembering compelled me to.
:ohboy:

Back
Top Bottom