Near-Earth objects and close calls

That's good to know, I am not able to do the higher resolution, bigger and or slow motion 😊

Checked the tweet and, there is a replay. Someone else saw it at another city (300 km distance).

In Xochimilco,south of Mexico City, at 6:40 p.m.

In this second video, it was almost impossible to tell if it was a slow meteor or an airplane... it looked more like an airplane. Oh, all those fuzzy, shaky little videos :umm::rolleyes: ... ain't making it easy.

023 CX1 Fireball Meteorite discovered in Northern France.
© FRIPON/Vigie-ciel
023 CX1 Fireball Meteorite discovered in Northern France.

On February 12, around 10 pm EST (0300 GMT, February 13), an asteroid burned up rather dramatically over Europe.

Hours later, a space-focused citizen science volunteer group found a meteorite from the fireball event 2023 CX1.

Members of the science group Vigie-Ciel (translated to 'Sky Lookout') and a related project, FRIPON, another space-focused citizen science effort working with French scientific institutions like the Paris Observatory and the University of Paris-Saclay can be credited with confirming the exciting find.

Loïs Leblanc, an 18-year-old student, found the meteorite first. At 4:47 pm, Leblanc chanced upon "a dark stone barely level with the ground of a field in the town of Saint-Pierre-le-Viger," the group wrote in a blog post.
The asteroid SAR 2667 was discovered 60 miles northeast of Budapest

The meteorite originated from the 3.2-foot SAR 2667, which astronomer Krisztián Sárneczky discovered at Konkoly Observatory's Piszkéstető Station, some 60 miles (100 kilometers) northeast of Budapest, with a two-foot (0.6-meter) telescope.

The astronomer told Space.com they were doing a routine hunt for near-Earth objects. "It was immediately obvious that it was a NEO, but it wasn't particularly fast across the sky, as it was heading right towards us, and it was faint," Sárneczky said.

The group wrote in the blog post that the last meteorite found on French territory was that of Draveil in 2011.

Astronomer's second incredible find

This is the second time Sárneczky spotted an asteroid just hours before it broke apart in Earth's atmosphere as a fireball.

The previous finding was in March 2022. Sárneczky spotted an asteroid, the 2022 EB5, two hours away from colliding with Earth's atmosphere. This is "probably a once in a lifetime" experience for an "asteroid hunter," Sárneczky had told Space.com back then.

Meanwhile, the entry of Sar2667 was only the seventh time that an Earth asteroid impact was predicted in advance.

The European Space Agency tweeted that the object had been detected and was projected to enter Earth's atmosphere safely.

And there's more where that one came from.

This does seem to be getting more frequent, doesn't it?

News

NASA Confirms Half-Ton Meteor Crashed Into South Texas​

A nearly 1,000-pound meteor measuring two feet wide crashed into South Texas on Wednesday, according to reports.

Fox station KDFW in Dallas reported that NASA confirmed the meteor broke apart as it fell through the atmosphere to its resting place near McAllen, Texas, at about 6 p.m.

And there's more where that one came from.

This does seem to be getting more frequent, doesn't it?
I've noticed the uptick as well, but without specifically checking every day in terms of meteors and fireballs in the news. Interesting that it coincides with the China balloon business and shooting down supposed UAPs by the US. Figure that whole business could be in part to allow for more military actions and normalize them in terms more and bigger fireballs coming in the future to try to cover them up.

Also wonder if ole Dark Companion is grounding the circuit (this came to mind after seeing that polar vortex on the sun recently) which brings more of such things or that this is a precursor to bigger ones coming.

Another year has passed. What follows are the latest Moon, NEO and Fireball data. This time around I will not explain anything in great detail and will let the data speak for itself instead. You can refer back to what I said in previous years, which mostly applies this year as well, also in terms of how to handle and view the data yourself. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

You can find all the Data (and more) in the 2022 Database. Feel free to copy, use and/or source/watch any and all data within it. You can't break anything; I've secured all the data separately and privately. All the data was redone. Unfortunately my chart database was lost, so I had to redo it, with the added plus that I can now more efficiently do the charts in the future.

As usual, we start in the outer solar system and come closer to earth, finally arriving at earth itself in the form of fireballs.

Let's start.

In the following two charts I think there is a good likelihood that in actuality quite a lot more moons have been discovered in the last time period (2012 - 2021) then is being displayed, but have not yet been officially added: Maybe as much as 600 around Jupiter, as mentioned here. Having said that, they already added quite a number of new moons since last year's database/update in that time frame:

1677011950499.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1677012013736.png

Last edited:
Zooming in, closer to earth....

As you will see, in terms of NEOs, 2022 has broken the all-time record.

Notice that until the end of the year 1999, things were counted in decades! In other words, since the year 2000, the number of NEOs has increased in orders of magnitude!

1677012372717.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notice that the trend line in the following chart should in actually be much steeper than displayed, because of the mentioned fact in the previous sentence:

1677012670215.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1677012915990.png

Zooming in, closer to earth....

Take a special note of the color scale:

1677013328769.png
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which translated into:

11.2 = Total Number of NEO Close Approaches, closer that the Moon .jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As we remember, the first such object that came closer than the moon, was first observed/recorded/discovered in 1991:

1677013602374.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know how accurate the following chart is. For the fun of it, I tried to evaluate the total Mass of such discovered objects in each year by incorporating them all into one single sphere:

1677014189292.png--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the one of a kind table here, which you can arrange however you like yourself, the following becomes visible:

Close Approach, closer than moon.jpg

Take a close look at the table above. Could it be that what is coming is revealing itself for all to see (for quite some time) there? Notice the huge chunks coming very close to earth in 2028 and 2029, one of which is quite well know by now, called Apophis. But the other one, curiously enough, is not well known at all, and is called "2001 WN5", while it is three times the size of Apophis! Then notice that quite a number of other big chunks will come near earth till 2100, or so. Could it be that Apophis and/or "2001 WN5" might not be alone and have "companions"? AND now think about the facts in the first two charts within this post above...

Last edited:
Zooming in, arriving at earth...

For the first time, 2022 has broken all records, in all departments. Fireballs!

1677015601319.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1677015654873.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which looks like this in numbers:

Fireballs USA.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Japan data is not available yet and will be added as soon as it is out.

Update 14.05.2023:

Japan data has been published and it looks like this:

15 = Japan_ Confirmed Meteors (Fireballs).png
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which looks like this in numbers:

16 = Japan_ Confirmed Meteors (Fireballs).png

Last edited:
Lunar impact

I was able to capture the largest lunar impact flash in my observation history! This is a video of the lunar impact flash that appeared at 20:14:30.8 on February 23, 2023, taken from my home in Hiratsuka (played back at actual speed). It was a huge flash that continued to glow for more than one second. Since the Moon has no atmosphere, meteors and fireballs are not seen, and the light shines at the moment of crater formation. Translation with Deepl

Back
Top Bottom