The Survival Medicine Handbook by Joseph and Amy Alton

Sounds like a good start, SummerLite. I would also want those items that one can find in a basic first aid kit and just add to them so your'e in good supply of all the most common things we need first aid for. One of the points made in the book is how easily an infection can get really bad if not treated properly from the beginning. Along these lines I would also get a good supply of activated charcoal which can not only be applied topically to draw out things, but can be drunk to detoxify and flush out bad bacteria from your system.

Another great book to check out: http://www.charcoalremedies.com/charcoal_books

I've come across this website for ordering antibiotics a while back and had forgotten about it till this thread was updated: _https://www.antibioticsforsurvival.com/

Haven't ordered from there, though.

Thank you for the replies,

Ennio, this looks like a crucial edition and one I don't know anything about. The products on this site look very good. I will endeavor to learn all I can about the uses of activated charcoal. Also the first aid kit will be added to the list with embellishments. Valuable info here thanks!

I also see on the Health and Wellness show there is a talk on medicinal herbs so all in good timing.

domi, I need to look at this link more closely. I'm leaning to the fish antibiotics as being the cheapest option. Knowing what antibiotics are used for specific purposes is helpful so more study on that. The link Lilou gave for the vet meds looked very good but you need to provide your medical license purchasing so that's out.

I hope there will be more response here, I'm sure this can benefit others as well. Perhaps there is another link discussing this but will need to save that search for later.

I'm also learning about the uses of ionic silver since that is a handy supply for me. My friend has sent good information on that. Crunch time.

It might be worth putting some form of iodine in there (lugol's solution) as well as being a good antiseptic, it can be used to load up on if there is any chance of nuclear fallout in your vicinity.
Nuclear particles tend to lodge in your thyroid and other glands, which is not a good thing.
I would also put in an antifungal such as Gentian Violet. Fungi are such nasty things.
I put Colloidal Silver aside as well, as a hedge against 'Flu', maybe even Ebola.
Let's hope we never have to use it.

I recommend this book. It is an excellent basic book for first aid and for emergency care when there is no doctor available. I attended a suturing class taught by Dr. Alton a few months ago (my skills in suturing had become a vague memory) and had the opportunity to meet Dr. Alton and his wife Amy. Amy is a nurse. My impression was that they are both very aware of what awaits us in the near future. They travel around the U.S. teaching survival skills.

MusicMan said:
It might be worth putting some form of iodine in there (lugol's solution) as well as being a good antiseptic, it can be used to load up on if there is any chance of nuclear fallout in your vicinity.
Nuclear particles tend to lodge in your thyroid and other glands, which is not a good thing.
I would also put in an antifungal such as Gentian Violet. Fungi are such nasty things.
I put Colloidal Silver aside as well, as a hedge against 'Flu', maybe even Ebola.
Let's hope we never have to use it.

Thanks MusicMan, very good editions. Did some research on the Lugols solution last night and that or some other type of iodine is a good idea. Unfortunately, nuclear particles are something to consider, they're likely here already so a supplement is useful now as well. Also adding simple face masks incase of volcanic ash or some other airborne issue. Will have a look at the Gentian Violet as well.

It is almost seven years since the last post in this thread and not the 4th edition of The Survival Medicine Handbook is out now, see this video:
The Survival Medicine Handbook: The Essential Guide for When Help is NOT on the Way 4th Edition,
One can still buy the old version, but the new one has the medical box on the left side of the cover.

This edition has had a problem that some are in colour and some in black and white. I got one without, but it is not a major problem as far as understanding the material. I hope you get one in colour if you buy one.

Another book is Home Doctor: Practical Medicine for Every Household by
Dr. Maybell Nieves, Dr. Rodrigo Alterio, Claude Davis which is only about 300 pages.
What is special about the book is that the two doctors are from Venezuela, where they have experienced sanctions and violence for many years, leading to deterioration of the healthcare system. There are quite a number of photos which might have been taken at an emergency room, some of them are not pleasant at all, but that is what doctors and nurses in general practice and emergency rooms are dealing with every day, and I think seeing them could be important for preparing the nonmedical person learning about the conditions.

Hello,

I've just begun working on getting my emergency list of medicines together. I've considered buying this book which looks very good but will need to wait a bit on that.

I was wondering if anyone would like to share what they have put together for preparation on this topic. Vit C and antibiotics are first on my list. Perhaps a powdered magnesium of some kind would be good. Also I'll look into what grows in my area as a source of herbal treatment. Dandelion root grows profusely in my yard and that's a start.

Thank you
p.s. I'm also considering having a supply of colloidal silver (ionic silver more accurately). A friend has a machine and makes her own.
Lugol's Iodine is good to have on hand. It is a good wound disinfectant. You can make a paste of it in coconut oil (10%) to make a good hand sanitizer. It gives an essential micronutrient. It can protect your thyroid in the event of a nuclear disaster. It can be used to disinfect water. You can buy a little container of the weak solution OTC, but all of a sudden you need an Rx for the strong solution (since Covid). I believe it is on the WHO list of essential medicines. You can download the list here, see which are useful to your situation.

I consider a basic (non-electric) pressure cooker to be essential household medical equipment if self reliance is needed. You can use it to sterilize tools, dressings, fluids, suture materials, nitrile gloves, etc. I won't get into how to do all that here, but it can be done on a stove or fireplace of some sort. It is worth learning something of sterile technique and wound management for infection prevention.
When I was in school, we practiced sewing up pigs feet.

Easier than sewing is using skin staples, but you'll need a special little tool to get them out. For small simple wounds, there is skin glue and tape strip skin closures.

ReliableRx.com is a good source for off-shore prescription medications. They have a lot of the basics. They say you need a prescription. I've heard that one can sometimes call an agent there directly and get around that requirement. They do not sell controlled/scheduled medications like narcotics and benzodiazepines. It is a good idea to have your physician put a note in your medical record that they are aware you are ordering overseas (for reasons of economy), and are OK with it. That will help you (and them) if you are ever busted for having a lot of Rx medication on hand which is not in the usual 30 day pharmacy bottle. I've heard that it is illegal to carry Rx meds outside of their original Rx pharmacy bottle in USA. God help us.

Medical Herbalism: The Science Principles and Practices Of Herbal Medicine Hardcover – Illustrated, August 30, 2003​

by David Hoffmann

This is a very good book! It covers pharmacology and also preparation and dosing of medications. It is some heavy reading. If you are growing food, make room for medicinal herbs which can be stored dried or in prepared form.

Amerigel is a hydrogel that promotes wound healing. It is excellent for burns or any open skin condition, even used down to bone. I would not have a first aid kit without it. I even keep a little pack of it in my handbag. Rx not required.
I also carry Arnica in case of injury.

"This product promotes healing and helps to reduce scarring. To quote AMERX, “AMERIGEL Hydrogel Wound Dressing’s advanced formula provides moist wound healing through its unique ability to address multiple wound concerns simultaneously. The hydrating base in the wound dressing provides necessary moisture to assist the body in creating an optimum wound healing environment. Zinc works together with the hydrating base to prevent scabs from forming, which can delay the healing process and lead to scarring.”

The Hydrogel Wound Dressing is suitable for cuts, scrapes, abrasions, pressure ulcers, diabetic skin ulcers, stasis ulcers and post-surgical incisions. The product is approved by the American Podiatric Medical Association and has been rated the top topical wound/ulcer treatment by podiatric physicians since 2006. It contains Meadowsweet Extract, Oakin (Oak Extract), polyethylene glycol 400, polyethylene glycol 3350, water and zinc acetate."

Dr. Maybell Nieves, Dr. Rodrigo Alterio, Claude Davis which is only about 300 pages.
What is special about the book is that the two doctors are from Venezuela, where they have experienced sanctions and violence for many years, leading to deterioration of the healthcare system. There are quite a number of photos which might have been taken at an emergency room, some of them are not pleasant at all, but that is what doctors and nurses in general practice and emergency rooms are dealing with every day, and I think seeing them could be important for preparing the nonmedical person learning about the conditions.
Thanks a lot for this suggestion, thorbiorn. I think I am going to order it, as we can learn a lot from those doctors in Venezuela IMO. I found I can't order it in Europe nor at Amazon in the US, but I found their website where one can order it directly, although shipping makes it a bit more expensive.

If you look at their site you can see that they recommend stocking up on Listerine for instance in case you are dealing with infections:
It was named after the brilliant British surgeon, Joseph Lister, who is still widely considered to be the father of antisepsis, the science of preventing infections.

In the hospitals of Venezuela, they used a lot of Listerine for different types of bacterial and fungal infections, wounds, gangrene, and diabetic foot.
I also ordered The Survival Medicine Handbook, because I think it will always come in handy to gain more knowledge and who knows what we can do for others when called upon?

One of the points made in the book is how easily an infection can get really bad if not treated properly from the beginning. Along these lines I would also get a good supply of activated charcoal which can not only be applied topically to draw out things, but can be drunk to detoxify and flush out bad bacteria from your system.
That's a good suggestion. Perhaps having some bentonite clay or French clay would also come in handy:

I learnt from a Dutch little booklet about French clay mixed with essential oils that French clay acts as a "diffusion medium" which is important if you want to blend them well. The aroma therapist who wrote the booklet also mentioned the synergy that takes place if you mix a French clay paste with essential oils.
I ordered it from Amazon, but found I can't upload to my Kindle, which is such a shame, because I would really like to read it, since it was written by two doctors from Venezuela.:shock:

On the bright side, I started reading the updated The Survival Medicine Handbook by Joe and Amy Alton and think I will be able to learn a lot! For those who prefer learning by audio the Altons also make podcasts and discuss all kinds of medical topics which are covered in the book as well as far as I can tell:

Other additions to our first aid kit could include DMSO of course, medical aka acupressure tape (especially when people have to do more physical labour and consequently hurt themselves ) and homeopathic remedies.

AFAIK these homeopathic remedies are still not very expensive (although their prices are rising in Germany) and can last a long time. This article on the Doom and Bloom site is helpful. It explains what homeopathy entails and which remedies could be helpful in emergency situations:

I also bought a few essential oils of which is said that they act like an antibiotic such as: cajeput, garlic, niaouli and tea-tree. According to Aromatherapy An A to Z by Patricia Davis oils such as the ones I mentioned plus lavender, eucalyptus, bergamot and juniper are "powerful bactericides affecting a wide range of infectious organisms". Oils like tea-tree, lavender (in larger quantities), niaouli, cajeput and eucalyptus are still affordable (and it is likely that they will last a long time):
Perhaps even more important than their bactericidal action, is the fact that these oils stimulate the body's own immune response to infection. The amount of essential oil taken into the body would certainly not be sufficient to destroy the disease-causing bacteria present, but the stimulus to the body's defence mechanisms does not seem to be dependent on the amount of essential oil involved. Indeed, as Dr. Jean Valnet has written, without actually going so far as using homeopathic doses, the smaller the amount of oil used, the greater the effect seems to be on the body.

Thanks for the suggestion!
We have many different supplements on hand in spades (lugol’s, Vit c, alpha lipoic acid, melatonin, etc) and a good stock of first aid supplies (especially hydrogen peroxide and iodine, as they are intermittently out of stock at our stores since 2020.)
We got chickens a couple of years ago, and we have no avian vets in our area, so i’ve had some experience with folk medicine as the only option. I’ve also become a bit more savvy with various anti-parasitics and antibiotics at the local farm store, though I am fortunate enough that I haven’t had to use any at this point. The price difference between medicine for livestock and medicine for a cat or dog through a vet is astounding. I have no doubt that the difference between an antibiotic marketed for a farm animal vs a human is even more extreme.
Great tip on the shopmedvet website as well - I’ve thought about the possible applications for various things at the farm store, but lots f them are only available in injectable form. Not a preferred route with my lack of experience!

Back
Top Bottom