NeuroFeedback, NeurOptimal and Electroencephalography

12 sessions and no change. I experienced sadness just once, so it was not sure it was due to NO. Idem for a sleep trouble, just once.
I don't give up. I maybe need at least 100 sessions!

Interesting reports so far! I'm glad that this is helping some people already!

I had my 5th session last Tuesday. I was in a bad mood that day, with some anxiety and pessimistic thoughts. The amounts of clicks I heard during that session was incredible. I didn't fall asleep this time but I did feel relaxed afterwards, and my mood improved too.

Something interesting happened during this session. I have a mild phobia called trypophobia which is fairly common and considered something evolutionary:

Trypophobia is a proposed phobia (intense, irrational fear, or anxiety) of irregular patterns or clusters of small holes or bumps.[3][4] The condition is not officially recognized as a mental disorder,[1] and is rarely referenced in scientific literature.[5][6]

Although few studies have been done on trypophobia, researchers hypothesize that it is the result of a biological revulsion that associates trypophobic shapes with danger or disease, and may therefore have an evolutionary basis.[1]

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trypophobia

In my case it didn't really bother me because it is very mild and because I don't usually get to see the triggers, I only discovered it because a friend thought it was strange that I found lotus seeds disgusting and then told me about it (I thought it was something everyone would find disgusting he he). For me it was only a profound disgust (not fear) sensation.

What happened during the session was that images of that kind of patterns came to my mind out of nowhere, one after the other, but I didn't feel the usual disgust. It was OK. And then I was curious so I checked some pictures and the disgust isn't there anymore. I can only think that maybe the training touched the particular "pathway" where that "phobia" was and my brain worked through it. Even if it wasn't something particularly important for me, I think it's interesting that it happened. Who knows what other things were connected to that particular pathway and maybe my brain got rid of?

Other than that, I'm also having trouble sleeping now. I feel tired at night but my brain seems to be very active. I'm taking 2mg of melatonin and even with that it takes some time to fall asleep. I know that's not much, but I've always been very sensitive to melatonin and took it only occasionally because I felt very sleepy the next day everytime I took it. The good thing is that I'm being able to read quite a bit before sleeping! ;D

Thank you Yas.
I have noticed many report difficulty in going to sleep at various points of the NO experience. I am wondering if any who experience that problem are using blue blocking glasses or adjusting their exposure to light, after sundown? If not, perhaps it could be considered? If so, that is interesting. The thought came to me that this brain activity/sleeplessness could be likened to an initiation, that is, to what someone going through an initiation (my main reference point being aboriginal americans) may experience. Cultural allusions aside, it is an initiation, in a sense, to a new brain!

I had my 3rd session yesterday. Similar effects as before were noted. The clicks have the effect of manipulating the nervous system toward better flow in general.

I'm still quite amazed at how direct it's effects are to the ANS especially. It feels like I've finally found something that "understands" me - or, more accurately, my reptilian brain. It seems to speak to this area directly, and in a painless and gentle way, nudges it into goodness and flow.

I had an episode of very expanded feeling right after I stepped outside the practitioner's office. I could feel the sun beating down and the wind blowing on my skin, it was blissful. I'm building a healthy and rewarding relationship with Dennis, the practitioner, who is a wonderful man. He's curious about many things and we had discussed briefly about the forum as the reason why I know that NeurOptimal exists. It's unfortunate that we can't have much more than short conversations while setting up the session and waiting for my cab to arrive after the session. I'm also deeply interested in how this could help others as well - however this type of thinking comes with it's pitfalls as I could easily fall into fantasies of building a future career based on this technology - which I already seem to be doing.

On the bus ride back, I managed to shut my eyes for a bit, it wasn't a nap but more resting my eyes. My mind was still active. I opened my eyes just as the bus had arrived at its destination, and I distinctly remember feeling rested and ready for the drive back home. That was an amazing and very rare occasion. However what could have contributed to my sleepiness was a high-carb meal of rice, meat and vegetables plus a can of sweetened coconut water which I had for lunch, before the bus ride.

I had some curious dreams last night too. One was a slightly gory one of a man and a baby being microwaved. It seems to me to indicate some aspects of my personality being eradicated (directly by NeurOptimal? Microwaves!), and I sense that vividly in my interactions with myself and others now.

I seem to have achieved another level of ability to self-regulate, recognize thinking errors, and use reasoning to make better decisions.

I'm interested in exploring how the reptilian brain attunes to rhythm. It seems to be the key to how the system functions. It reminds me of the various music based therapies and the general therapeutic effect of music. In this case the music becomes the vehicle for direct feedback to the brain about it's functioning. The clicks seem to act as little "shocks" that zap the brain (especially the ANS, or brainstem, or reptilian brain - I can actually feel the flow of energy there) back to proper functioning. It reminds me also of how house lizards communicate - they make these loud clicking noises with their tongues.

However, with stress and daily life, it looks like the effects will wear out, as Laura and others have mentioned. If it wasn't so expensive I'd have bought one already, so I could do sessions whenever I pleased.

nature said:
12 sessions and no change. I experienced sadness just once, so it was not sure it was due to NO. Idem for a sleep trouble, just once.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that seems a little exaggerated, I've done 10 so far but I felt a massive difference on the first one. I realized I had something similar to chronic fatigue syndrome and within a day I felt awake, it's actually quite incredible that I've been so tired all the time for the past 5 years without noticing. Most people improve with NO but some people don't need it, if you haven't noticed a difference then you may not need it. Why is it that you think you need NO?

Thank you all for your reports on NO sessions!

I had my 4th NO session. The first one was a fifteen minutes one after an intake conversation.
The therapist always starts with a baseline. The colors were green and blue which is ok according to her. While listening to the music I felt
tingeling starting in my feet and going up my body. I felt very warm. Heard a lot of 'clicks'.
After the second session the therapist asked if I was left-handed (I am not) because she was surprised that my left and right hemisphere
worked so fast and well together. That evening I got to bed at 9PM, feeling very tired and immediately fell asleep, woke up at 7 in the morning. Normally I sleep 7 to 8 hours so that was a long uninterrupted sleep!
After session 3 tired again.

I can feel already some subtle changes like feeling more calm, being able to look at emotions without letting them overwelming me. I laugh more at things that normally would irritate me and also I see more. It goes like this: before the screen was small and now it is getting wider. I cannot explain it very well.

I am grateful for pointing out NO and the recommended reading of Collingwood and Raine, Samenow and Haidt and Ressler.

Thinkingfingers said:
nature said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but that seems a little exaggerated, I've done 10 so far but I felt a massive difference on the first one. I realized I had something similar to chronic fatigue syndrome and within a day I felt awake, it's actually quite incredible that I've been so tired all the time for the past 5 years without noticing. Most people improve with NO but some people don't need it, if you haven't noticed a difference then you may not need it. Why is it that you think you need NO?

People are different. Some have said they haven't noticed much difference, but others around them DID notice. So, in some cases, it could be that the person in question is not used to observing subtle changes in themselves, or that the issues the brain is working on are not as obvious as say, anxiety. In other cases, it is quite possible that depending on the issues, more than 20 sessions may be required (I heard of a case where a woman was having no obvious effects until session Nr.40, and from then on to the 60th, she DID notice a huge improvement!)

So, if anyone feels they need more, why not? There are no side effects that we know of. Sure, this is not a "one size shoe fits all" approach, but IMO, those who just say they simply don't need it, and unless they really have their act together and no issues whatsoever, are perhaps missing an opportunity to at least give it a fair chance and see.

Thank you Chu for your post! I was answering when I saw you have posted meanwhile! :D
and I was saying the same thing (your respons is better said :) )

And in my case, there is a particular point: I have tinnitus, intense, permanent, and multiple (with a wide range of sound frequencies that overlap each over). These internal sounds mask some external sounds. While doing the NO sessions, I don't hear the clicks. It's not because my brain is well-functionning (it's all the contrary), it's, I guess, because clicks are masked by tinnitus, thus my brain doesn't benefit from the feedback provided by the clicks. Then I decided to do 1 session each day, in order to try to catch moments when tinnitus is less intense (rare, but I don't despair).

Persevering is a key point in lots of things, particularly when we want for a change.

I think I'm one who will need more than 20 sessions. I've got a lot of deep trauma to work through. The practitioner I work with said I will know when I've had enough. She said that what often happens is that people fine they need sessions less frequently. Interesting points Chu.

nature said:
And in my case, there is a particular point: I have tinnitus, intense, permanent, and multiple (with a wide range of sound frequencies that overlap each over). These internal sounds mask some external sounds. While doing the NO sessions, I don't hear the clicks. It's not because my brain is well-functionning (it's all the contrary), it's, I guess, because clicks are masked by tinnitus, thus my brain doesn't benefit from the feedback provided by the clicks. Then I decided to do 1 session each day, in order to try to catch moments when tinnitus is less intense (rare, but I don't despair).

Persevering is a key point in lots of things, particularly when we want for a change.

I think that with some electronic components the system can be adapted so a sensation to the skin will be convey. Will think of it.

Wow ! Wonderfull idea, Ellipse!
I have a bone conducting headphone (casque à conduction osseuse)! Maybe it can do the trick. I might be able to find a piece to connect it to the computer.

nature said:

I ran across this video the other day and save it. Just might be worth giving a try.

https://youtu.be/GsCTBeGrT8k

I did 11 sessions.
Probably I would not notice if I had not one peculiar thing with my heart again.
For already several months I felt something with my heart. Just to give You short story: it started when I started to exercise my energy. I decided once that I want to try to quiet down my mental activity and do nothing mentally for a week. This was 1.5 year ago. This was parallel to my work in therapy when I was trying to approach my three different parts (or energy centers?). After this experiment internally or somehow contributed by it I got arrhythmia, externally for the first time in my life, I guess, I got a chance of extramarital involvement. Arrhythmia lasted for around 5 months or so. It slowly dissipated when I was attuned in reiki. However my heart felt rather strange for most of the time. After sessions of neurofeedback - after 7th or so session, my heart got really calm. Parallel to this I was/am in therapy which is different to the other I mentioned. Anyway I could not think of any major change in my life that could affect my heart in that period of time than neurofeedback.

It is very interesting as I had rather feeling of not doing anything during the sessions.
I think it is really worth further testing/exercising/trying.
Thank You for hint and help.

Back
Top Bottom