Altered Carbon

Alfisti

Padawan Learner
Altered Carbon on Netflix.

The premise is that humanity now has the capability to essentially live forever by loading the entire consciousness (soul) onto what they call a 'stack' which can be reloaded into a new body (called a sleeve) in the event of (body death).

The story follows a rebel prisoner who is brought back to life after 200 years of being kept dormant, following a last-ditch uprising against the future he now finds himself experiencing, in order to solve the mystery of the (body) murder of a wealthy elite immortal.

It explores themes of immortality, elitism, idealism, corruption and tribalism but has a lot of nudity and violence along the way (the producer explained that this is in context to show how meaningless the body has become to people).

Worth a watch for some food for thought but not if you find the blatant violence and nudity to be abhorrent.

I finished watching this show this weekend and I found it very interesting, going deeper into things than Blade Runner.
There is some violence but it's not over the top like typical hollywood.

Here's a video that explained the basics and got me interested in watching it:

https://youtu.be/5hfpoNBDlls

Think Blade Runner with some aspects of the Matrix (VR scenes and the rebellion against the technology) and the question of consciousness.

I liked very much this series, the characters and narrative development are interesting, and also this idea of having a digitized mind/memories/soul into a device that could be used in any physical body (including clones) and have some kind of eternal life in a virtual pure data world. The last concept reminds me a little to the "Caprica" TV series concept of eternal life.

Recommended

I enjoyed this series myself. I like the way the story played out and thought the acting and filming was done well.
It explores themes of immortality, elitism, idealism, corruption and tribalism but has a lot of nudity and violence along the way (the producer explained that this is in context to show how meaningless the body has become to people).

All I can say is if that's what the producer was aiming for I think he hit his mark cause there was plenty of violence and nudity to go around. Honestly after the first few episodes I was about to give up on it but the story kept me watching.

I enjoyed this series myself. I like the way the story played out and thought the acting and filming was done well.

All I can say is if that's what the producer was aiming for I think he hit his mark cause there was plenty of violence and nudity to go around.
Honestly after the first few episodes I was about to give up on it but the story kept me watching.

Although the premise was good, IMO there was way too many violence and nudity, it honestly left me with a very bad taste afterwards and for me the meaning of the series lost the intention... Heads up for anyone who might want to watch it cause there was specially one episode that was very disturbing for me and couldn't handle it.

Reminds me of Sense8's last episode, it was absolutely horrible.. And at the beginning I really liked the show, but then again they had to make it all about nudity and weird stuff :(

I liked very much this series, the characters and narrative development are interesting, and also this idea of having a digitized mind/memories/soul into a device that could be used in any physical body (including clones) and have some kind of eternal life in a virtual pure data world. The last concept reminds me a little to the "Caprica" TV series concept of eternal life.

Recommended

I just couldn't relate to the pacing or characters in the show. I never reflected on the concepts presented or 'felt' for the plight of what the characters were going through. Partly because there was so much violence and killing that it seemed as if the implicit message wasn't that there is more to consciousness that exists outside of our bodies, but that human life is easily disposed of.

There is another one on Nextfilx as well about same concept is called " Travelers"
Yeah I enjoyed that one too and being that Travelers was produced by the same guy who made Stargate SG1 it was much cleaner and easy on the eyes. I do hope they run another season of it cause I prefer shows like that better.

I just couldn't relate to the pacing or characters in the show. I never reflected on the concepts presented or 'felt' for the plight of what the characters were going through. Partly because there was so much violence and killing that it seemed as if the implicit message wasn't that there is more to consciousness that exists outside of our bodies, but that human life is easily disposed of.

I think it showed a bleak future if technology continues to grow into transhumanism. I becomes an atheist's paradise where survival is no longer limited by nature, but the size of your bank account and ruthlessness.

Yeah I enjoyed that one too and being that Travelers was produced by the same guy who made Stargate SG1 it was much cleaner and easy on the eyes. I do hope they run another season of it cause I prefer shows like that better.

Thanks xico and pete for the heads up on this show.

Back
Top Bottom