Posting to Facebook from SOTT

flashgordonv

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Just wanted to report that over the last few days I have had to run the Object Debugger over 90%+ of all the SOTT pages I wanted to post to Facebook. It is not an issue with Twitter, just Facebook.

I'm not sure why this is. I post a bunch of pages every day and have not needed to use the debugger for months. But suddenly, for the last 2-3 days almost everything needs the debugger or else the article does not appear. odd to say the least.

Reactions: SMM
Just wanted to report that over the last few days I have had to run the Object Debugger over 90%+ of all the SOTT pages I wanted to post to Facebook. It is not an issue with Twitter, just Facebook.

I'm not sure why this is. I post a bunch of pages every day and have not needed to use the debugger for months. But suddenly, for the last 2-3 days almost everything needs the debugger or else the article does not appear. odd to say the least.
You can try to use Buffer. In this case you don't have to use the Object Debugger at all.

Please, can you explain what is Buffer? Thank you.

It is an add-on/extension and website for your browser which can get access to your social media site i.e. Facebook and with that you can post then with Buffer on i.e. Facebook. And you don't have to debug anything. Simply it is a tool with which you can post on i.e. Facebook.

It is an add-on/extension and website for your browser which can get access to your social media site i.e. Facebook and with that you can post then with Buffer on i.e. Facebook. And you don't have to debug anything. Simply it is a tool with which you can post on i.e. Facebook.

Thank you Gawan for your answer!

But how come we know we have to debug an article? Maybe the articles I post on Facebook have to be debugged but I don't know it. That's why nobody read them? When an article has to be debugged, is there a message that tells you that your article has to be debugged?

Most often it shows, when no picture on Facebook appears or no other data then the link, which means, that it needs to be debugged. You can do this here for Facebook:

Debug on Facebook | Facebook

You insert here the link to a page, i.e an sott article and then Facebug (;-)) should debug it (button: "fetch new scrape information") and the article picture should be set. Sometimes you need to click two or three times on it.

Thank you for all the information. I will be more attentive posting articles at FB. for now I think no problem. Thank you again for you explanations!

Hmm... I changed the FB meta tags on SOTT.

You're supposed to do:

META og:image = http://blah...
META og:image:secure_url = https://blah...

And indeed that's what the FB developer docs still say to do. Except that everyone else is ignoring this, and just doing:

META og:image = https://blah...

With no secure version.

Given that next month, Chrome and FF are going to show "Not Secure" warnings for any web site that doesn't use HTTPS, I changed the tags since it's possible that FB is already expecting a secure url by default.

Not holding my breath though, since FB has never liked SOTT very much.
:pirate:

Hmm. this is still a problem. I've tried different browsers to no avail. Around 90%+ of articles need the facebook debugger run over them to make them postable

Well, I am unsure what changes have been made, but this issue seems to have gone away for the greater majority of articles I have posted today. Many thanks

Well, I am unsure what changes have been made, but this issue seems to have gone away for the greater majority of articles I have posted today. Many thanks

Seems I spoke too soon. Now, the article headline and preview appears but in most cases the image does not - 60/40 I guess. Using the debugger then renders the image

Back
Top Bottom